Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A pretty good list...
4 Big Training Camp Storylines on the Horizon for VikingsThese are the items to begin pondering for Vikings 2023 training camp, ranked in ascending order of importance (No. 1 = most important). 

4. Osborn or Addison?
Quote:This one might grab the most attention, chiefly because it involves the wide receiver spot and a rookie in Jordan Addison.
The Vikings selected Addison in the 1st Round of April’s draft, and unless he’s a bust, he’ll become the team’s WR2 before too long. However, K.J. Osborn will not relinquish the job without a fierce fight.
Osborn probably thought the WR2 job was his to lose until the 2023 NFL Draft, but then Addison from USC came along. One man will win the WR2 job; the other at WR3. This is Adam Thielen’s old job, so expect all eyes glued on this camp battle. 

3. Who in the Hell Is the Starting Free Safety?Three men could start Week 1 versus the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the Vikings at free safety — Camryn Bynum, Lewis Cine, or Josh Metellus. 
Bynum was last year’s starter, and he played every single defensive snap if that can be believed. Cine was a 1st-Rounder in 2022 but broke his leg last October. According to draft stock, Cine should start soon. 
Then, Josh Metellus is just a fantabulous football player. He showcased a marvelous minicamp last week and was praised to high heavens by general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah in a recent podcast.Another secondary battle, Andrew Booth, Akayleb Evans, Joejuan Williams, or Mekhi Blackmon has to win CB2 duties. Newcomer free agent Byron Murphy is basically penciled in as CB1, but his solo trip won’t be enough. 

2. The ‘Other’ Starting CB JobAnother secondary battle, Andrew Booth, Akayleb Evans, Joejuan Williams, or Mekhi Blackmon has to win CB2 duties. Newcomer free agent Byron Murphy is basically penciled in as CB1, but his solo trip won’t be enough. 

This is one of the Vikings most important summer matters — who emerges as the other cornerback. Whomever it is — he has to be productive and not just ‘a guy.’ Minnesota will be eaten alive by offensive coordinators if it has just one good corner. 
This battle is incredibly high stakes and may decide the Vikings overall team ceiling in 2023.

1. Danielle Hunter or Somebody Else?Hunter held out of Vikings minicamp on Tuesday and Wednesday, desiring a new contract. His team-friendly agreement that he signed with Rick Spielman five years ago is finally winding down. 
If the Vikings don’t give the giant extension, he could be traded. And that could happen today — or in August. The timetable is undetermined. 
Because Hunter is the Vikings top defensive player, his contract status will utterly dominate all Vikings websites, podcasts, and social media channels. He’s a Viking through and through, but there’s a chance Adofo-Mensah won’t pay him $20-$25 million per season.
https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/4-big-training

So Cine continues to run 4th on the depth chart at safety. I expect Bynum to retain the job opposite Smith and it appears Mattelus has made huge strides this offseason. The Cine pick continues to look worse and worse

I actually am kind of excited to see how the cornerback position shakes out. To me this is the most interesting competition heading into training camp. If these guys can't excel under Flores, who's bread and butter was coaching the secondary under Belichick, then it's not going to be a good look. 

Also hoping to see someone on that interior defensive line step up and be a difference maker because we need it 

It's time to find out  whether these last 2 draft classes have players in them.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
So Cine continues to run 4th on the depth chart at safety. I expect Bynum to retain the job opposite Smith and it appears Mattelus has made huge strides this offseason. The Cine pick continues to look worse and worse

I actually am kind of excited to see how the cornerback position shakes out. To me this is the most interesting competition heading into training camp. If these guys can't excel under Flores, who's bread and butter was coaching the secondary under Belichick, then it's not going to be a good look. 

Also hoping to see someone on that interior defensive line step up and be a difference maker because we need it 
I am sure Cine is still dealing with the broken leg.  IIRC he just started cutting at full speed on it a month ago or so.  Probably still limited on what he is able to do.

Predictions...

4. I think early on KJO beats out Addison and gets most of the snaps in 2-WR formations. But Addison sees plenty of action in 3 receiver sets and challenges KJO in 2 receiver sets by November. 

3. I don't think it will matter much who the starters are since all of them will see plenty of action given how Flores uses his safeties. Bynum probably gets the start due to experience, but I think Cine will make his physical presence known in special packages and challenge Bynum for the start later in the year. 

2. In Zimmer and Donatell defenses there always seemed to be a clear CB1, CB2 and slot CB. Under Flores I expect that to be less clear, with CBs moving all over the place. By the end of the year, I think Akayleb Evans will emerge as our best corner, followed by Murphy...with Booth, Williams, Blackmon and maybe even Ward battling for snaps. 

1. While I think it's very possible Hunter is traded, I think it's more likely the Vikings give him a deal that keeps him in Minnesota for at least two more years. Vikings are very clearly in the middle of a competitive rebuild and moving Hunter would seem to fall more into a tear-it-up philosophy. I think the sticking point will be length of term, with Hunter wanting a long-term commitment and the Vikings offering competitive AAV, but for a much shorter term. This will be interesting, because no matter which way this goes, it's going to have a big impact on the Vikings.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Predictions...

4. I think early on KJO beats out Addison and gets most of the snaps in 2-WR formations. But Addison sees plenty of action in 3 receiver sets and challenges KJO in 2 receiver sets by November. 

3. I don't think it will matter much who the starters are since all of them will see plenty of action given how Flores uses his safeties. Bynum probably gets the start due to experience, but I think Cine will make his physical presence known in special packages and challenge Bynum for the start later in the year. 

2. In Zimmer and Donatell defenses there always seemed to be a clear CB1, CB2 and slot CB. Under Flores I expect that to be less clear, with CBs moving all over the place. By the end of the year, I think Akayleb Evans will emerge as our best corner, followed by Murphy...with Booth, Williams, Blackmon and maybe even Ward battling for snaps. 

1. While I think it's very possible Hunter is traded, I think it's more likely the Vikings give him a deal that keeps him in Minnesota for at least two more years. Vikings are very clearly in the middle of a competitive rebuild and moving Hunter would seem to fall more into a tear-it-up philosophy. I think the sticking point will be length of term, with Hunter wanting a long-term commitment and the Vikings offering competitive AAV, but for a much shorter term. This will be interesting, because no matter which way this goes, it's going to have a big impact on the Vikings.
I have just two thoughts. 
I think that one part of the equation on who WR2 is involves run blocking.  KJO is a much more physical WR than Addison
is, so I think Addison’s receiving value will have to be greater than KJO’s
receiving + blocking value in order to get in that WR2 position.  Obviously that’s possible, and a WR can
affect the run game by pulling defenders away from the run, but I think people
have to factor that in as well as we’re making efforts to be more multiple on
offense.

I think if we had any notion of Hunter not being on the team,
we would have a better option to replace him than we currently do.  I think things would have to get really bad for
him not to be on the team.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:

I am sure Cine is still dealing with the broken leg.  IIRC he just started cutting at full speed on it a month ago or so.  Probably still limited on what he is able to do.
Even fully healthy, I don't expect him to unseat the 3 in front of him this season 

@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:

Even fully healthy, I don't expect him to unseat the 3 in front of him this season 
I dont think those ahead of him are anything to get excited about or should be penciled in as starters in a new system.  I would guess they are all on a pretty level playing field.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:

I dont think those ahead of him are anything to get excited about or should be penciled in as starters in a new system.  I would guess they are all on a pretty level playing field.
Not according to Kwesi, who has been publicly raving about Josh Mattelus (Spielman pick) as the breakout player of the offseason. I like Cam Bynum a lot. Think he was great as a rookie and despite the overall shit show, played pretty well last season. Cine has a lot of ground to make up 

@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:

Not according to Kwesi, who has been publicly raving about Josh Mattelus (Spielman pick) as the breakout player of the offseason. I like Cam Bynum a lot. Think he was great as a rookie and despite the overall shit show, played pretty well last season. Cine has a lot of ground to make up 
Viking coaches have been raving about Metellus since he was drafted. But I think it's more about his character and leadership than his play on the field. I do expect him to get a lot more playing time this year given how Flores uses his safeties though. It's also a contract year for him.