Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI.com: Vikings to build off last year's comeback season

Good article. My biggest take from it is the difference in management styles between KOC & Zim. It might be generational. Zim is an old school "My Way or the Highway" type of coach who wasn't adverse to calling out his players in the press. I can't imagine KOC ever doing that. It looks like he values the human element between him & his players.

I believe KOC was the big difference with the transformation last year of Cousins in terms of his performance in the clutch and his leadership skills, I think he continues to have a positive effect on Cousins.  He has the right personality to lead a young group of players.  In terms of the team as a whole, I don't think we have improved from a personnel standpoint over the past two drafts, last year we did not get one impact player and I don't think a 172# WR was what this team needed with the holes on defense and the lack of a future QB.  See a future with KOC, but do not think we will improve with who we have managing the roster.

Quote: @"JR44" said:
I believe KOC was the big difference with the transformation last year of Cousins in terms of his performance in the clutch and his leadership skills, I think he continues to have a positive effect on Cousins.  He has the right personality to lead a young group of players.  In terms of the team as a whole, I don't think we have improved from a personnel standpoint over the past two drafts, last year we did not get one impact player and I don't think a 172# WR was what this team needed with the holes on defense and the lack of a future QB.  See a future with KOC, but do not think we will improve with who we have managing the roster.
So, because Addison is 172 lbs (exactly the same size as DeVonta Smith), he was a bad pick, despite the fact that the Vikings had only Jalen Nailor inked through 2024...and Cine, Booth and Evans, because they were hurt last year, are not impact players either. And Asamoah, who was drafted to replace Kendricks his 2nd year, was a bad pick too because he was behind Kendricks his 1st. 

Got it. One thing's for certain...you are a Viking fan. :-)

Maybe it's the homer in me or blind exuberance but I'm really excited to see both JJ and JA lining up as wide outs.  Both can run the whole route tree---if our Oline gels (get your popcorn ready)

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JR44" said:
So, because Addison is 172 lbs (exactly the same size as DeVonta Smith), he was a bad pick, despite the fact that the Vikings had only Jalen Nailor inked through 2024...and Cine, Booth and Evans, because they were hurt last year, are not impact players either. And Asamoah, who was drafted to replace Kendricks his 2nd year, was a bad pick too because he was behind Kendricks his 1st. 

Zero issue with the position drafted and I thought receiver has been a need for us for two years now. I think we were on the same page relating to Addison. Liked him, didn't love him, and he just didn't really explode or stand out on tape. Weve heard from SC fans on here that he was just okay and didnt make the kind of impact expected out of him last year. We'll see. Hoping for the best with him because we need somebody to keep the double teams off Jefferson. 

I won't hold my breath on last years draft class. Cine is coming off a major injury and is he good enough at this point to unseat the players that were ahead of him on the depth chart last season? Booth and Evans are forever IR candidates. Jury is out on Asamoah still and what kind of impact he can make. I still contend he is on the smaller side and unless there is a plan in place to cover him up better then our line did last season with Kendricks, we are going to run into the same problems. 

Thouggt Addison was hurt most of last season?

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JR44" said:

I live in LA, am a USC fan and watched most of his snaps last year, so I am basing my opinion on a lot more than his weight.  I never once thought of him as a first round pick or a dominant WR.  He wasn't able to consistently stay on the field and often when he was he was not able to go full speed.  My biggest issue with him was that he didn't seem to step up when the team needed him the most.  He is a great route runner with good hands, very smooth, but didn't see that toughness that a lot of great smaller WRs have. Hope his skills translate to the NFL, but I think Osborn and Nailor will be ahead of him when season starts.

If you are defending last year's draft, then you are the one who is definitely a Viking's fan  =)  Cine well before he was hurt never looked like a first rounder, in fact when we had injuries at the safety spot it was a UDFA who played in front of him.  Booth did not look great when healthy, Evans looks promising.  Asamoah had plenty of opportunities to get on the field.  Combined with the head scratching trade and that we did not address the holes we had in switching to a 3-4 and last year's draft was a disaster. I thought it really hurt us down the stretch and in the playoffs, cause we had no depth.  

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JR44" said:

Zero issue with the position drafted and I thought receiver has been a need for us for two years now. I think we were on the same page relating to Addison. Liked him, didn't love him, and he just didn't really explode or stand out on tape. Weve heard from SC fans on here that he was just okay and didnt make the kind of impact expected out of him last year. We'll see. Hoping for the best with him because we need somebody to keep the double teams off Jefferson. 

I won't hold my breath on last years draft class. Cine is coming off a major injury and is he good enough at this point to unseat the players that were ahead of him on the depth chart last season? Booth and Evans are forever IR candidates. Jury is out on Asamoah still and what kind of impact he can make. I still contend he is on the smaller side and unless there is a plan in place to cover him up better then our line did last season with Kendricks, we are going to run into the same problems. 
I would be a pretty big upset if Cine doesn't replace Bynum. Evans is one more concussion away from potential retirement. I thought he was our best outside corner last year in limited snaps, but I'm the most worried about him. Booth less so. And Asamoah not at all. 

Quote: @"JR44" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JR44" said:

I live in LA, am a USC fan and watched most of his snaps last year, so I am basing my opinion on a lot more than his weight.  I never once thought of him as a first round pick or a dominant WR.  He wasn't able to consistently stay on the field and often when he was he was not able to go full speed.  My biggest issue with him was that he didn't seem to step up when the team needed him the most.  He is a great route runner with good hands, very smooth, but didn't see that toughness that a lot of great smaller WRs have. Hope his skills translate to the NFL, but I think Osborn and Nailor will be ahead of him when season starts.

If you are defending last year's draft, then you are the one who is definitely a Viking's fan  =)  Cine well before he was hurt never looked like a first rounder, in fact when we had injuries at the safety spot it was a UDFA who played in front of him.  Booth did not look great when healthy, Evans looks promising.  Asamoah had plenty of opportunities to get on the field.  Combined with the head scratching trade and that we did not address the holes we had in switching to a 3-4 and last year's draft was a disaster. I thought it really hurt us down the stretch and in the playoffs, cause we had no depth.  
This is way to negative an opinion, especially SO early IMO.