Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings One of the Most Overhauled Teams in NFL as of Late
https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/a...uled-teams

According to Pro Football Focus, the Vikings have reworked the roster from 2020 to 2022 by 37.7%, which is the 10th-highest rate of turnover in the business. PFF‘s Amelia Probst said about her roster turnover analysis, “Roster turnover is a big deal in the NFL. If a team can maintain a solid roster despite the ebb and flow of the modern game, they will enter the season on the right track. With the excitement of free agency and the draft now behind us, it’s the perfect time to look at which NFL teams have had the most roster turnover over the past three seasons.”
And per Probst, these are the 10 teams with the highest new-player rate in the last three years:
1. Bears = 52.20%
2. Jaguars = 56.60%
3. Texans = 56.60%
4. Panthers = 56.60%
5. Falcons = 56.60%
6. Giants = 57.86%
7. Raiders = 59.12%
8. Jets = 61.64%
9. Dolphins = 61.64%
10. Vikings = 62.26%
Remarkably, the Vikings have actually rewrought the roster like a ‘bad’ team while keeping a commendable record. From 2020 to 2022, Minnesota has the NFL’s 10th-best record with a 28-22 (.560) standing.

It's the rolling rebuild. Here's an article that argues that this is the exact wrong thing to do, that the Vikings should have made a bigger commitment to either winning or rebuilding. I think a handful of Viking fans would agree with this. 

But again, I'd love to see a recent example of a team who tore it up, drafted a young QB, rebuilt around him and won a Super Bowl. I mean if this is the path to all glory, you would think there would be several examples of it working. Not sure there's even one.  

it has felt like a rolling rebuild ever since Denny took over the team in 92

Wonder what that Viking % looked like before Zimsu was canned? I suspect it accelerated a bunch with a new regime, which is to be expected. 

Quote: @Skodin said:
it has felt like a rolling rebuild ever since Denny took over the team in 92
The article actually mentioned this when I first read it, but appears to have been edited out. But every team in the NFL, to one degree or another, is somewhere between a "full" and "rolling" rebuild. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
It's the rolling rebuild. Here's an article that argues that this is the exact wrong thing to do, that the Vikings should have made a bigger commitment to either winning or rebuilding. I think a handful of Viking fans would agree with this. 

But again, I'd love to see a recent example of a team who tore it up, drafted a young QB, rebuilt around him and won a Super Bowl. I mean if this is the path to all glory, you would think there would be several examples of it working. Not sure there's even one.  
Wouldn't Indy with Peyton be an example?  But they did it right, built the O-Line, drafted the QB and he had the pieces to be successful.

Blowing it up and rebuilding this roster was the right thing to do when the Wilfs decided to clean house with the front office and coaching staff. I'd bet anything Poles wouldn't agree to the "rolling rebuild" and had a vision on how he wanted to do it, and elected to take the Bears job because he'd have total control to blow it up and rebuild it how he wanted to..

You will not have two better examples of the two different philosophies then the Bears and Vikings, who have taken different approaches. Nice thing is we are in the same division, play each other twice a year, and will get a first hand look over the next few years on which philosophy turns out being more prosperous. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Blowing it up and rebuilding this roster was the right thing to do when the Wilfs decided to clean house with the front office and coaching staff. I'd bet anything Poles wouldn't agree to the "rolling rebuild" and had a vision on how he wanted to do it, and elected to take the Bears job because he'd have total control to blow it up and rebuild it how he wanted to..

You will not have two better examples of the two different philosophies then the Bears and Vikings, who have taken different approaches. Nice thing is we are in the same division, play each other twice a year, and will get a first hand look over the next few years on which philosophy turns out being more prosperous. 
I dont think that will be a very good indicator of what philosophy is a better practice because things like draft pick success, and just plain ol luck have to factor in.  Not to mention the quality of the roster that they were able to start with.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:

I dont think that will be a very good indicator of what philosophy is a better practice because things like draft pick success, and just plain ol luck have to factor in.  Not to mention the quality of the roster that they were able to start with.
That's all part of the process. Setting yourself up for more things like hitting on draft picks, luck, and allotting cap dollars wisely in free agency. The Bears elected to take the blow it up philosophy under Poles while the Vikings elected for the rolling rebuild, I'm sure at the behaste of the Wilfs when they elected to make wholesale changes. It will be an interesting case study between the two philosophies and we don't have to look outside the division to see which team made the wiser rebuild model

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:

Wouldn't Indy with Peyton be an example?  But they did it right, built the O-Line, drafted the QB and he had the pieces to be successful.
Yes. And when I looked it over a couple weeks ago, that was the only example that I could find. It was 25 years ago.

And it's not a perfect example either, since it was 9 years between drafting their QBOTF and winning a Super Bowl. A couple, three more cap cycles over that time I'm sure. For perspective, that's like the Vikings winning the Super Bowl next season because we drafted Teddy in 2014. Manning was already over 30.