Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF - Vikings get top 2 UDFA's

PFF Ranks Vikings' Ivan Pace Jr., Andre Carter II as 2023's Top 2 UDFAs (msn.com)

Even more love for the Vikings' two standout undrafted free agents this year.
Vikings undrafted free agents Ivan Pace Jr. and Andre Carter II continue to get love from the national media. Pro Football Focus ranked the Minnesota duo as the two top UDFA signings in the entire league this year.
Pace, the undersized but fiery inside linebacker from Cincinnati, ranked 113th on PFF's big board. The unanimous All-American was their highest-graded linebacker in the nation last season.
Quote:Pace was the highest-graded linebacker in the FBS last season, earning a 93.2 overall grade, which included a 90.7 run-defense grade (third) and a 93.3 pass-rush grade (first) that led to 55 pressures and 12 sacks — both the most among linebackers. Pace was one of the smaller linebackers in the draft at 5-foot-10 and 231 pounds and only scored a 5.71 relative athletic score (RAS), but his on-field quickness and blitzing ability should allow for a perfect fit in Brian Flores’ defense.
Despite Pace's lack of size, he has the talent to make an impact with the Vikings. It's hard to rack up 136 tackles and 20.5 TFL, like Pace did last year, without having great instincts and the athleticism to make the play after diagnosing it.
Carter has a similar combination of production and size concerns. Except with the edge rusher from Army, it's a matter of weight and power, not length. Carter stands over 6'6" and his length presents major problems. If he can fill out his frame, he could have a bright future. Carter was right behind Pace at 121st on PFF's board. Those are both early fourth round rankings.
Quote:The Vikings strike again, grabbing the 6-foot-7 and 260-pound Carter, who earned a 93.4 pass-rush grade in 2021 with Army, which tied Aidan Hutchinson for the best in the FBS among edge defenders. In 2022, Carter could not build on his elite 2021 season, which also saw him post 59 pressures and 15 sacks, but he still earned strong pass-rush marks (82.1) and has the size and length to make him worth investing in as a project edge rusher.
Carter received major defensive attention after a dominant 2021 campaign, leading to diminished production last year. Still, he's a nice upside play for the Vikings on the edge. Carter received $340,000 guaranteed to sign with Minnesota, which tells you how badly they wanted him on their roster.
In my initial projection, I have both Pace and Carter making the Vikings' 53-man squad out of training camp.

Quote: @minny65 said:

PFF Ranks Vikings' Ivan Pace Jr., Andre Carter II as 2023's Top 2 UDFAs (msn.com)

Even more love for the Vikings' two standout undrafted free agents this year.
Vikings undrafted free agents Ivan Pace Jr. and Andre Carter II continue to get love from the national media. Pro Football Focus ranked the Minnesota duo as the two top UDFA signings in the entire league this year.
Pace, the undersized but fiery inside linebacker from Cincinnati, ranked 113th on PFF's big board. The unanimous All-American was their highest-graded linebacker in the nation last season.
Pace was the highest-graded linebacker in the FBS last season, earning a 93.2 overall grade, which included a 90.7 run-defense grade (third) and a 93.3 pass-rush grade (first) that led to 55 pressures and 12 sacks — both the most among linebackers. Pace was one of the smaller linebackers in the draft at 5-foot-10 and 231 pounds and only scored a 5.71 relative athletic score (RAS), but his on-field quickness and blitzing ability should allow for a perfect fit in Brian Flores’ defense.
Despite Pace's lack of size, he has the talent to make an impact with the Vikings. It's hard to rack up 136 tackles and 20.5 TFL, like Pace did last year, without having great instincts and the athleticism to make the play after diagnosing it.
Carter has a similar combination of production and size concerns. Except with the edge rusher from Army, it's a matter of weight and power, not length. Carter stands over 6'6" and his length presents major problems. If he can fill out his frame, he could have a bright future. Carter was right behind Pace at 121st on PFF's board. Those are both early fourth round rankings.
Quote:The Vikings strike again, grabbing the 6-foot-7 and 260-pound Carter, who earned a 93.4 pass-rush grade in 2021 with Army, which tied Aidan Hutchinson for the best in the FBS among edge defenders. In 2022, Carter could not build on his elite 2021 season, which also saw him post 59 pressures and 15 sacks, but he still earned strong pass-rush marks (82.1) and has the size and length to make him worth investing in as a project edge rusher.
Carter received major defensive attention after a dominant 2021 campaign, leading to diminished production last year. Still, he's a nice upside play for the Vikings on the edge. Carter received $340,000 guaranteed to sign with Minnesota, which tells you how badly they wanted him on their roster.
In my initial projection, I have both Pace and Carter making the Vikings' 53-man squad out of training camp.
Pace is almost guaranteed to make the roster. We have so little depth at LB, with only Reeder and Dye as backups. Plus, Pace should be a demon on special teams almost right away. 

Active or not, I think the best thing for Carter is to just disappear into the weight room for a couple seasons. 

“You won’t even recognize him in three years with how much his body will change when he’s on an NFL team. He’s going to be a lot thicker and stronger than what you see on tape right now.” -- Scouting director for AFC team

Carter is going to end up playing at around 270 lbs in the NFL. Long limbed. Get him built up, take in the league for a year and let him eat next season. 

My wager is Pace isn't a Viking in 3 years. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Carter is going to end up playing at around 270 lbs in the NFL. Long limbed. Get him built up, take in the league for a year and let him eat next season. 

Why? Because we're so deep at LB? 

I actually like Pace's chances more than Carter's. We'd have to get real lucky for him to ever be the next Sam Mills or London Fletcher, or even Eddie McDaniel. But I think Pace can carve a role as an effective sub-package player. In the meantime, I think he's going to make a lot of hay on special teams. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he ends up our ST captain early on. And that can take a player a long way. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

I actually like Pace's chances more than Carter's. We'd have to get real lucky for him to ever be the next Sam Mills or London Fletcher, or even Eddie McDaniel. But I think Pace can carve a role as an effective sub-package player. In the meantime, I think he's going to make a lot of hay on special teams. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he ends up our ST captain early on. And that can take a player a long way. 
I think his lack of athleticism is going to hurt him in the pros, big time. He's an ILB who went undrafted....in a league that with the rules, now treats that position like a FB as far as importance. Again, odds look pretty long.

Sticky I am as shocked as Captain Renault that you are down on one of our young, future superstars.  Shocked.   B)

@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

I think his lack of athleticism is going to hurt him in the pros, big time. He's an ILB who went undrafted....in a league that with the rules, now treats that position like a FB as far as importance. Again, odds look pretty long.
I think all players taken after the 4th round are just guesses, shots in the dark. And if he were so awesome, why didn't the Vikings take him in the 7th? Why didn't another team? 

So yeah, the limitations are real and the odds are long. I just know one thing: he's going to be super fun to watch. With his intensity and the way he rushes the passer, I think he'll be a fan favorite early on, especially in an aggressive Flores defense. 

Quote: @comet52 said:
Sticky I am as shocked as Captain Renault that you are down on one of our young, future superstars.  Shocked.   B)
I also don't like Bradbury! 

@comet52 said:
I also don't like Bradbury! 

Well then you're supposed to refer to him as "Bustbury".

Or perhaps Garret the Brave, who went into combat without armor or weapons, yet somehow got a second contract. Wink

Quote: @comet52 said:
Lol Dude, how old are you anyway…???  Wink B)