Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#222 RB DeWayne McBride UAB
and th-th-th-that's all folks.

Looks interesting. He was on Kippers list forever so we should all be ecstatic that we got “value” 

McBride was my 2nd favorite back in the draft after Tyjae Spears. He can't block, he can't catch passes and he can't hold onto the football. But if you teach him those things, you have one of the truly elite runners of the football. Probably just a 2-down back, but ridiculous value in the 7th. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
McBride was my 2nd favorite back in the draft after Tyjae Spears. He can't block, he can't catch passes and he can't hold onto the football. But if you teach him those things, you have one of the truly elite runners of the football. Probably just a 2-down back, but ridiculous value in the 7th. 

So we drafted a guy that can run,  but as far as being a RB he doesn't do anything else very well.  I really question if you can teach those things to a late round player quick enough to get them to make an impact and make the cut.  The blocking is a big ding, as is not catching the ball well,  but fumbling is a killer,  especially for a RB IMO.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

So we drafted a guy that can run,  but as far as being a RB he doesn't do anything else very well.  I really question if you can teach those things to a late round player quick enough to get them to make an impact and make the cut.  The blocking is a big ding, as is not catching the ball well,  but fumbling is a killer,  especially for a RB IMO.
2nd leading rusher in college football in the 7th round. You don't get flawless players there. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

https://youtu.be/EcI492Q2LK8
Let me guess...A real sleeper?

People who don't follow the draft are waking up to who DeWayne McBride is....

https://twitter.com/vikesinsider/status/...95748?s=20

McBride is the kind of RB that will get you yardage. He's hard nosed, low gravity and some wiggle. He's not going to be a home run hitter like Dalvin Cook. 

“He was somebody we had fairly high up on our board with kind of a starter grade,” Adofo-Mensah said. “I think a lot of times in college running backs aren’t used in the passing game so maybe there was some questions about his ability…we had good intel that he has more pass-game value than he showed.”
  • Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #93. He wrote, "McBride, who ran for 1,371 yards and 13 touchdowns while averaging 6.72 yards per carry and led the nation with an average of 4.72 yards after contact, cleans 345 pounds and bench-presses 385 and has squatted 550. In addition, he ran the 40 in the low 4.5s."

Quote: @StickyBun said:
McBride is the kind of RB that will get you yardage. He's hard nosed, low gravity and some wiggle. He's not going to be a home run hitter like Dalvin Cook. 
I'd be surprised if McBride didn't rank very highly in runs over 40 yards last year. But no, of course he's not Dalvin Cook. He's a 7th round rookie who's got a lot to work on. But I think he makes the team.