Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Draft Answer Key
No need to watch the draft. I've got all our picks below. 

Don't go to the live event. There will be no pick Thursday. We trade down twice (or more), pick up two 3rd rounders and end up with a pick in the 30s. Cook and Z also traded. 
2 - Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa, 6-5, 250, 4.65
3-4 ILBs don’t have a lot of positional value. But that’s why we’re able to get the best one in the 2nd round. Simpson is the speed guy. Sanders is the pass rusher. Campbell is a combination of both. Big, physical, instinctive and covers better than you’d expect, given his size. He’ll pair with Asamoah and help turn this defense around in one season, maybe more than any other player would. 
3a - Zaach Pickens, 5T, So. Carolina, 6-4, 293, 4.9
Who likes Dean Lowry? Yeah, me either. Vikings need inside pass rush desperately. Pickens is a player who caught my eye at the Senior Bowl. Ridiculously quick off the ball, he’s a former 5-star recruit who went to Mobile and faced the best offensive linemen in the country and beat them consistently in practice. 
3b - Garrett Williams, CB, Syracuse, 5-11, 190, 4.46 (inj)
Injury value. Vikings take advantage of the terrific depth at corner in this draft class by getting Williams in the 3rd. Williams is a super smart, physical press man corner who can cover and tackle. Lead all corners with a 31 Wonderlic and 19 reps on bench. 
3c - Michael Wilson, WR, Stanford, 6-2, 213, 4.58
Injury value. I’ve heard some say that without the injuries at Stanford, Michael Wilson could be a 1st rounder. Kwesi loves the value in players like this. So do I. It’s part of the reason Diggs dropped to the 5th round. Wilson, who ran a 4.58, has been compared to Davante Adams. Similar size and 40. I think Keenan Allen is another good comp. Also like Cedric Tillman and AT Perry here. 
4a - Jartavius Martin, S/CB, Illinois, 5-11, 194, 4.46
I have a hunch Brian Flores loves Brian Branch. Martin doesn't tackle like Branch. No one does. But he's a bigger, faster Branch you can get 3 or 4 rounds later. 
4b (via Cook to Dolphins, then traded to 49ers) - Trey Lance QB
If the QBs don’t fall for the Vikings the way they hoped, and even Hooker goes before their pick in the 1st, the Vikings will trade down, fill needs and send this pick (and a 2024 conditional) for Lance. 
5a - Kayshon Boutte, WR, LSU, 5-11, 195 (didn’t run)
Who says we can’t draft two WRs? KJO is likely gone after ’23. And I’m not as high on Nailer as some are. Vikings need to add some talent to their WR room. Without the ankle injuries and character concerns, Boutte's probably a 2nd rounder.  Among the non-midgets, his movement skills are second only to Johnston in this class. Just a cheap shot on potential greatness. Flipside: Boutte could also go undrafted and be out of the NFL in a year. 
5b (via Z to Ravens) - Ivan Pace Jr. 5-11, 231, 4.62
If Pace were 3 inches taller, he’d be a 2nd rounder. I wouldn’t take him without first securing a big guy like Campbell, but there may not be a more instinctive LB in the draft. Instinctive, quick and has a real knack for finding a route to the QB when blitzing. 
6. Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane, 5-10, 201 (didn’t run)
No ACL? No problem! Spears might go undrafted. Who doesn’t have an ACL? But I take a shot on him late because without the ACL issue, he’s the 2nd or 3rd best back in this class. And he sure as hell didn’t play like he was missing an ACL. 
7 (via Z to Ravens) - Brodric Martin, NT, Western Kentucky, 6-5, 340, 5.3
I think nose is a late round need for us. I think the team likes Tonga, but we could use some depth at the position, if not an upgrade.  Martin doesn’t offer much rushing the passer, but at 340 lbs and 35 inch arms, Martin could be a two-down monster. Martin, Tonga, Campbell, Cine and Harry is a pretty good run stopping package. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
No need to watch the draft. I've got all our picks below. 

Don't go to the live event. There will be no pick Thursday. We trade down twice (or more), pick up two 3rd rounders and end up with a pick in the 30s. Cook and Z also traded. 
2 - Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa, 6-5, 250, 4.65
3-4 ILBs don’t have a lot of positional value. But that’s why we’re able to get the best one in the 2nd round. Simpson is the speed guy. Sanders is the pass rusher. Campbell is a combination of both. Big, physical, instinctive and covers better than you’d expect, given his size. He’ll pair with Asamoah and help turn this defense around in one season, maybe more than any other player would. 
3a - Zaach Pickens, 5T, So. Carolina, 6-4, 293, 4.9
Who likes Dean Lowry? Yeah, me either. Vikings need inside pass rush desperately. Pickens is a player who caught my eye at the Senior Bowl. Ridiculously quick off the ball, he’s a former 5-star recruit who went to Mobile and faced the best offensive linemen in the country and beat them consistently in practice. 
3b - Garrett Williams, CB, Syracuse, 5-11, 190, 4.46 (inj)
Injury value. Vikings take advantage of the terrific depth at corner in this draft class by getting Williams in the 3rd. Williams is a super smart, physical press man corner who can cover and tackle. Lead all corners with a 31 Wonderlic and 19 reps on bench. 
3c - Michael Wilson, WR, Stanford, 6-2, 213, 4.58
Injury value. I’ve heard some say that without the injuries at Stanford, Michael Wilson could be a 1st rounder. Kwesi loves the value in players like this. So do I. It’s part of the reason Diggs dropped to the 5th round. Wilson, who ran a 4.58, has been compared to Davante Adams. Similar size and 40. I think Keenan Allen is another good comp. Also like Cedric Tillman and AT Perry here. 
4a - Jartavius Martin, S/CB, Illinois, 5-11, 194, 4.46
I have a hunch Brian Flores loves Brian Branch. Martin doesn't tackle like Branch. No one does. But he's a bigger, faster Branch you can get 3 or 4 rounds later. 
4b (via Cook to Dolphins, then traded to 49ers) - Trey Lance QB
If the QBs don’t fall for the Vikings the way they hoped, and even Hooker goes before their pick in the 1st, the Vikings will trade down, fill needs and send this pick (and a 2024 conditional) for Lance. 
5a - Kayshon Boutte, WR, LSU, 5-11, 195 (didn’t run)
Who says we can’t draft two WRs? KJO is likely gone after ’23. And I’m not as high on Nailer as some are. Vikings need to add some talent to their WR room. Without the ankle injuries and character concerns, Boutte's probably a 2nd rounder.  Among the non-midgets, his movement skills are second only to Johnston in this class. Just a cheap shot on potential greatness. Flipside: Boutte could also go undrafted and be out of the NFL in a year. 
5b (via Z to Ravens) - Ivan Pace Jr. 5-11, 231, 4.62
If Pace were 3 inches taller, he’d be a 2nd rounder. I wouldn’t take him without first securing a big guy like Campbell, but there may not be a more instinctive LB in the draft. Instinctive, quick and has a real knack for finding a route to the QB when blitzing. 
6. Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane, 5-10, 201 (didn’t run)
No ACL? No problem! Spears might go undrafted. Who doesn’t have an ACL? But I take a shot on him late because without the ACL issue, he’s the 2nd or 3rd best back in this class. And he sure as hell didn’t play like he was missing an ACL. 
7 (via Z to Ravens) - Brodric Martin, NT, Western Kentucky, 6-5, 340, 5.3
I think nose is a late round need for us. I think the team likes Tonga, but we could use some depth at the position, if not an upgrade.  Martin doesn’t offer much rushing the passer, but at 340 lbs and 35 inch arms, Martin could be a two-down monster. Martin, Tonga, Campbell, Cine and Harry is a pretty good run stopping package. 
I could definitely get behind this draft. Love the Jack Campbell pick. 

Quote: @prairieghost said:

I could definitely get behind this draft. Love the Jack Campbell pick. 
“You’re getting that 6-1, 6-2, 225-, 230-pound linebacker who can run well enough in a guy with a 6-5, 250-pound package,” an evaluator said. “He tested out of this world. His 3-cone and short shuttle blew everybody out of the water at that position by a lot.”
“I’ll be pissed if Campbell doesn’t go in the first round,” one scout said. “If Tremaine Edmunds goes that kid should go. He’s Brian Urlacher.”

Nice job. 
BUT, gonna take more than a 4th and a '24 conditional to pry Lance away.  Jmo. (Especially if the conditional is based on '23 performance...as Lance likely sits most of '23 anyway)

I'd give you a five year extension as GM if that came to fruition. I like Campbell, but I'd love to have Sanders' versatility as a pass rusher instead.

Quote: @savannahskol said:
Nice job. 
BUT, gonna take more than a 4th and a '24 conditional to pry Lance away.  Jmo. (Especially if the conditional is based on '23 performance...as Lance likely sits most of '23 anyway)
The comp that was rumored a couple weeks ago was a 2nd and a 4th. I don't think they can get much more than that considering he's been in the league two years, has proven nothing, and was hurt both years. But yeah, you're right about the condition. If all goes well, he won't see the field at all. 

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
I'd give you a five year extension as GM if that came to fruition. I like Campbell, but I'd love to have Sanders' versatility as a pass rusher instead.
Sanders is an interesting case. I think he might actually appeal to Flores even more than Campbell. Flores has said that he values versatility more than anything in his defenders. And Sanders could feasibly play ILB and Edge according to some scouts. I think Campbell is the better all around ILB, but Sanders is definitely the better pass rusher.