Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa
I think upgrading Jordan Hicks at ILB should be one of the Vikings top priorities. And the three best off-ball LBs should all be available after a couple trades down in the late 1st and early 2nd. 
The first LB that caught my eye was Trenton Simpson. 6-2, 235, Ridiculous 4.43 speed. Built for today’s game, but not as good rushing the passer or in coverage as those numbers might suggest. And he might actually be better suited as a 4-3 WLB anyway. Next was Drew Sanders. 6-4, 235, 4.59. As a tweener OLB/ILB, he’s easily the best pass rusher among the top off-ball LBs. I still like him a lot and think B-Flo will love that he can use him in a variety of disguises. I’d be happy with either of the two. 

However, settling in as “my guy” is Jack Campbell. 6-5, 249, 4.65. With that size you think old school, but Campbell has been terrific rushing the passer and pretty solid in coverage too. And I think his speed and explosion numbers at the combine opened some eyes. An Asamoah and Campbell ILB pairing could help turn this pathetic _efense around pretty quickly. 
https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1643...03492?s=20

Campbell's film is phenomenal and pops off when you aren't even looking at him directly. But how he plays doesn't match the combine scores. He's slowed on tape unless he is playing downhill in the run game or on a predetermined blitz. Doesn't make him a bad option but potentially limits his upside. I still prefer Sanders and Simpson over him in that order. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Campbell's film is phenomenal and pops off when you aren't even looking at him directly. But how he plays doesn't match the combine scores. He's slowed on tape unless he is playing downhill in the run game or on a predetermined blitz. Doesn't make him a bad option but potentially limits his upside. I still prefer Sanders and Simpson over him in that order. 
I had the same thought when I watched Campbell on tape that he just doesn't look fast or like he plays fast, but he graded out as the top athlete at his position at the Combine. I like him as a player and think he has tremendous instincts. 

I like Simpson and Drew Sanders a lot, but feel Sanders might be best as a TJ Watt type rush OLB. I'm still a big Noah Sewell fan and feel like he could be the best of the bunch when all is said and done. 

Campbell just makes plays, he has a nose for the ball and rarely do you find him missing an assignment.  Maybe his play doesn't match his combine numbers but he is a solid player that has that intangible inside of him.

What he lacks in Athleticism, he makes up for it with his instincts and his Football IQ. 
Not sure how Flores would deploy him in his scheme. I would be happy if we could get any of the three LB's mentioned. 

Lance Zierlein mocked Sanders to the Vikings at #27 (trade down with Buffalo).  Personally if we go LB I'd take Campbell after a trade down to the upper 2nd.

Look like Tarzan, play like Jane (to coin an old term). Lots of those flame out transitioning to the NFL.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Look like Tarzan, play like Jane (to coin an old term). Lots of those flame out transitioning to the NFL.
That's hardly Jack Campbell. He won the Butkus award for the nation's best LB last season. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
That's hardly Jack Campbell. He won the Butkus award for the nation's best LB last season. 
Gotcha, didn't know that. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
Gotcha, didn't know that. 
Yeah, Campbell's more looks like Tarzan, plays like Tarzan, but who knew a kid who looks more like Jack Lambert than a modern NFL linebacker would also be an elite-level athlete?

May not have the upside of Simpson, but Campbell has very little bust factor. The safest LB prospect in the draft IMO.