Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good breakdown on Hendon Hooker
... and the Tennessee offense.

https://theathletic.com/4399152/2023/04/...ilm/?amp=1

Good read and offers some insights into what he actually had to read and process in college.  When you combine his age, injury, and inexperience running a pro style offense, I just don't see 1st round QB like the media and some fans are projecting.

I would feel more comfortable taking him Day 2 or not at all.

I've heard something similar about him because of the offense he ran. Its a legit concern. He's got a ton to learn about pro offenses. 

I tend to think more and more the Vikings are going take a position player of need early and take a flyer on a mid round QB at some point. DTR, Jaren Hall, Tanner McKee have been a few of the names mentioned that would make sense. Either that or trade for a young, high upside QB like a Trey Lance or Zach Wilson. Drafting a QB early just seems less and less likely the more this plays out and you look at our roster holes through a realistic lense 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
I tend to think more and more the Vikings are going take a position player of need early and take a flyer on a mid round QB at some point. DTR, Jaren Hall, Tanner McKee have been a few of the names mentioned that would make sense. Either that or trade for a young, high upside QB like a Trey Lance or Zach Wilson. Drafting a QB early just seems less and less likely the more this plays out and you look at our roster holes through a realistic lense 
Same. I would be pretty disappointed with Hooker in the first. If we take him in the third round, that's fine. There are other potential QB options available that I would like a lot more than HH in the first.

Quote: @dadevike said:
@supafreak84 said:
Same. I would be pretty disappointed with Hooker in the first. If we take him in the third round, that's fine. There are other potential QB options available that I would like a lot more than HH in the first.
I like Hendon Hooker but we'd be going another year with likely no impact from our first round pick. On a team with a lot of holes to fill still, that's a really tough ask. I think if we don't trade down the pick is going to be a cornerback or receiver 

Agreed. If Levis or Richardson starts to fall then I'd love for the Vikings to make an aggressive move up to get their guy but the way this is shaping up, we don't seem very well positioned to get one of the top QBs of this class.
It's unfortunate because having a succession plan to Kirk feels not only prudent but pressing, considering his deal is up after next season. Sadly it doesn't seem like it's going to work out perfectly for the Vikings. There's a long list of QBs they were within reach of over the past few years and for whatever reason they did not pull the trigger, so now we're kind of stuck.
Hopefully whatever midround guy they throw a dart at can actually steer the ship to some degree, unlike Mond. Ironically, Taylor Heineke is the one QB RS put into the pipeline who has amounted to anything, and we cut him. Pain.

Can't argue that. It just really seems like this is going to be the case.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
Can't argue that. It just really seems like this is going to be the case.
For a 13-win team I definitely think we have a lot of holes. Taking a QB rd 1 (and possibly burning next year's FRP to do it) is a big, big risk considering no second round pick. Seems much more likely we'll draft yet another DB at 23.

With the concerns about Hooker, age, injuries, and not running a pro style offense some team will overvalue him and reach to get the guy they think will be their quarterback of the future.  Happens every year a team thinks they can change flaws from his college days and then find out in a short period of time he isn't the guy.  May not be the case with Hooker but with the Viking needs not sure this should be the route they take unless they trade down and consider him later.

I would personally change the perspective to, they'll take a mid-round QB if they truly believe that player has a chance to be a productive NFL player. Maybe we can just consider all QB draft picks a lottery ticket, but I really don't think this FO will draft a QB simply because they feel like they should give it a shot. If they don't move up and take DTR, Hall, McKee, etc. I do think they see something that leads them to believe they can develop into a serviceable starter.