Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is our WR3 already on the roster?
This will be an unpopular premise.  But a sentence in a Strib article today about scheming to get JJ more open had a callout that got my attention:

K.J. Osborn, who caught 60 passes for 650 yards last year, could get the first shot at the No. 2 receiver role this year, and O'Connell said he's excited for players like Jalen Nailor and Jalen Reagor to play bigger roles that have them lining up in multiple receiver spots. The Vikings will have a full season with tight end T.J. Hockenson, and Oliver, who caught a career-high 14 passes last season while playing in a Ravens offense that often had him blocking for Lamar Jackson, could get more opportunities as a receiver.

Reagor?  The guy who quit on a deep route that caused a pick on a Kirk pass?
The guy who got booed in Philly?

So I did the unthinkable.  I checked out his college film highlights.

Now I understand why the Eagles took him in the first round.
He does not have great hands (he muffed at least two punt returns), but he had/has great speed/burst.
He did do a JJ imitation on one reception in the highlights.

Is he a head case?
Is he a slow learner?
I know nothing about his failure in Philly.
Is he a reclamation opportunity?

I admit I assumed he was never going to be re-signed, as that was a wasted trade of draft-day assets.
Am I right to rethink my position?

I don't think we even have WR #2 on the roster yet as I don't think KJ is the guy. I'm ok with KJ as a 3rd but no defensive coordinators are staying up at night worried about stopping KJ Osborne and I think if that were the route the Vikings went we would continue to see Jefferson double and triple teamed. Reagor and Nailor are certainly no locks to make the final roster. I think it could be argued that WR is our biggest position of need heading into the draft

That 1 play versus the Colts helped everyone understand why Philly got rid of him.

He was clearly an overdrafted player who wouldn't even be in the league had he been picked 5th round or later.

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
He was clearly an overdrafted player who wouldn't even be in the league had he been picked 5th round or later.
This.

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:

That 1 play versus the Colts helped everyone understand why Philly got rid of him.
That wasn't even the failed route that nearly cost us that game.  Early in the game him and Kirk weren't on the same page and Reagor moved of his spot just as KC released the ball and Kirk threw it right to the DB for an easy pick six,  which imo was a huge part of our entire O playing like dog shit for the first half of that game.

Thought sure this was about KJO. If it were, I would agree. KJO's '22 numbers rank among the NFL's WR2s about two-thirds of the way down, so he's already putting up WR2 numbers. I think given more attention in the offense, those numbers probably increase quite a bit. 

That said, this does not mean WR shouldn't be on our list of draft needs. Ideally, we draft or sign a WR who can compete directly with KJO for that 2 role. 

I'm afraid Reagor doesn't have it. I studied the WRs hard the year he was drafted and I didn't even put him in my top 5. Every year, the NFL overrates receivers for speed and underrates more important factors like routes and focus. Reagor had all the speed and agility you could want, but his routes were lazy and he sometimes didn't even finish them. Yes, he did that at TCU too. He really should be a pretty good punt returner, though. But he's really not very good at that either. 

I'm not sure why they just don't use Reagor the way we should have used CP when he was here. Make him a Swiss-army knife type player. Get him the ball in different ways. Sure, he may never be a true WR-type, but that doesn't mean he can't be a playmaker with the ball in his hands.

Jalen Nailor might just end up beating KJO for #2. Raegor is bound for a used car lot sales position. 

I'm not sure Reagor belongs in the WR3 discussion - maybe #4.