Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins supposedly offered team a discount on an extension

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
https://twitter.com/TheVikingsWire/statu...aZ6DjNTh7A&s=19
It still came down to Cousins wanting a fully guaranteed contract and the Vikings weren't about to do that...

Again, if there is no intention to retain him on an extension past this upcoming season, the smart thing to do is to trade his ass. Sorry but we aren't going to the Super Bowl this upcoming season with or without Kirk Cousins (attention Wilf family!) Geoff thinks we can still get a late 1st round pick or some type of package of picks in trade compensation for Cousins, so how does that not make sense to do that? Yes, you are essentially sacrificing the upcoming season and yes the optics may look bad to Jefferson, but if there's a long term plan...do it! The Kirk Cousin hostage train is annoying every offseason. It's become the Minnesota version of Aaron Rodgers and if he is going to come back and play or not. As much as I like Kirk, it's time for this GM to step up to the plate and put his own stamp on the organization and I think even he knows that he can't do that as long as we keep playing the Cousins extension game. 

Theres no point in doing anything until after the draft

The new regime was dealt a hand they have to play in the Kirk Cousins extensions scenario. Things should clear up after the Draft. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Again, if there is no intention to retain him on an extension past this upcoming season, the smart thing to do is to trade his ass. Sorry but we aren't going to the Super Bowl this upcoming season with or without Kirk Cousins (attention Wilf family!) Geoff thinks we can still get a late 1st round pick or some type of package of picks in trade compensation for Cousins, so how does that not make sense to do that? Yes, you are essentially sacrificing the upcoming season and yes the optics may look bad to Jefferson, but if there's a long term plan...do it! The Kirk Cousin hostage train is annoying every offseason. It's become the Minnesota version of Aaron Rodgers and if he is going to come back and play or not. As much as I like Kirk, it's time for this GM to step up to the plate and put his own stamp on the organization and I think even he knows that he can't do that as long as we keep playing the Cousins extension game. 
Vikings are not going to trade their QB without first having their QBOTF in the pipeline. 

Is this really news? 

I think were all just waiting to see how much importance they place (this year) on QBOTF vs so many other needs.  Their actions will tell me a lot. 

A first or 2nd rounder (that they dont have today) is telling me they acquired someone with the intent he's the QBOTF. 

A late round guy? Out of some obscure Alabama or Florida school? Thats qb pipeline and a prayer. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Is this really news? 

I think were all just waiting to see how much importance they place (this year) on QBOTF vs so many other needs.  Their actions will tell me a lot. 

A first or 2nd rounder (that they dont have today) is telling me they acquired someone with the intent he's the QBOTF. 

A late round guy? Out of some obscure Alabama or Florida school? Thats qb pipeline and a prayer. 
That was my thought as well. We already knew both sides were open to extension. That the Vikings wanted short and Cousins wanted long, and that guaranteed money is, was, and always will be the sticking point. 

What ultimately happens is going to 100% depend on how the draft goes and what Cousins does in year two of the offense. 

I think the only thing we can say for certain is that the odds of the Vikings taking a QB in this spring's draft are a little bit higher. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Is this really news? 

That was my thought as well. We already knew both sides were open to extension. That the Vikings wanted short and Cousins wanted long, and that guaranteed money is, was, and always will be the sticking point. 

What ultimately happens is going to 100% depend on how the draft goes and what Cousins does in year two of the offense. 

I think the only thing we can say for certain is that the odds of the Vikings taking a QB in this spring's draft are a little bit higher. 
Actually, I heard/read the Vikings wanted to do a longer term contract with less guaranteed money (like only guarantee the next two years and have some fluff years at the end) so they could manipulate the cap, but Cousins camp preferred less term but fully guaranteed again. From the article above, that jives since it "sounds" like Cousins was open to taking slightly below market rate (below Daniel Jones, Kyler, etc) but the trade off being it's fully guaranteed.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Is this really news? 

Actually, I heard/read the Vikings wanted to do a longer term contract with less guaranteed money (like only guarantee the next two years and have some fluff years at the end) so they could manipulate the cap, but Cousins camp preferred less term but fully guaranteed again. From the article above, that jives since it "sounds" like Cousins was open to taking slightly below market rate (below Daniel Jones, Kyler, etc) but the trade off being it's fully guaranteed.

I can't remember where I read it, but I read $42m/yr 3 yr deal?