Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikes signing Marcus Davenport

That's a bargain for a good pass rusher.

Can he cover receivers or running backs?  Seems to be the requirement for our pass rushers these days with a 3-4 defense

He’s a very good edge run defender too.

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
Can he cover receivers or running backs?  Seems to be the requirement for our pass rushers these days with a 3-4 defense
Sounds like a Donatell thing to me 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
That's a bargain for a good pass rusher.
Hope you're right, he had .5 sacks in 2022. Did have 9 in 2021 though.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@IDVikingfan said:
Sounds like a Donatell thing to me 
Yes, hope it is not a Flores thing...

This is a huge get! He’s a stud who had a down year statistically. I say statistically because he had 34 pressures. Tomlinson had 29 pressures. If they can somehow get these two together, they will be a force.

The expected contract for Davenport was 4 year/$80+ million. He’s young and highly skilled. I’m shocked they got him at this number. 

Former first round pick who never lived up to expectations in New Orleans. Played in 15 games last season and had a whopping half a sack. The year prior he had 9 sacks in 13 games, in 2020 he had 1.5 sacks.....so what are we getting here and how does this signing effect Zadarius Smith? Also I'm always interested to see how guys who have played in a certain scheme their whole careers transition to something completely different. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Former first round pick who never lived up to expectations in New Orleans. Played in 15 games last season and had a whopping half a sack. The year prior he had 9 sacks in 13 games, in 2020 he had 1.5 sacks.....so what are we getting here and how does this signing effect Zadarius Smith? Also I'm always interested to see how guys who have played in a certain scheme their whole careers transition to something completely different. 
Za'Darius' days are numbered. Nobody can be too upset with a 1 year flier on a high-upside pass rusher. The underlying pressure rates are there and he is also an above-average run defender. Does Flores help him put it all together? Maybe. If not he's serviceable as a #2 option.