Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Make a Deal!
[Image: letsmakeadeal-pickadoor.gif]

With the league year starting in just a couple hours, I have to say I'm a little surprised the Vikings haven't signed any of their own free agents. I expect a lot of news today about releases, restructures, etc. But there are 7 starters who remain unsigned: One they better not resign (Sullivan), one they probably won't (P2), three that could go either way (Bradbury, DePaula and Joseph) and two that seem to be no brainers to me (Tomlinson and Shelley). 

What will the Vikings do? An anxious Skol Nation wants to know!!

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
[Image: letsmakeadeal-pickadoor.gif]

With the league year starting in just a couple hours, I have to say I'm a little surprised the Vikings haven't signed any of their own free agents. I expect a lot of news today about releases, restructures, etc. But there are 7 starters who remain unsigned: One they better not resign (Sullivan), one they probably won't (P2), three that could go either way (Bradbury, DePaula and Joseph) and two that seem to be no brainers to me (Tomlinson and Shelley). 

What will the Vikings do? An anxious Skol Nation wants to know!!
DePaula, Tomlinson, and Shelley-- probably should assuming they arent getting greedy.  Joseph--maybe as long as they bring in competition and dont pay him so much that they cant afford to cut him.  The rest,  time to move on IMO.

I'm not a huge Tomlinson fan...I dont think any of our IDL are beyond pedestrian. 

Shelley is one I am hoping they bring back and I'm torn on P2 anymore. He looked totally un interested in a # of games last year. 

I'm open minded about anything they might do. Or attempt to do. A little birdie told me they might be very interested in drafting a QB this year.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I'm not a huge Tomlinson fan...I dont think any of our IDL are beyond pedestrian. 

Shelley is one I am hoping they bring back and I'm torn on P2 anymore. He looked totally un interested in a # of games last year. 
IMO P2's success was largely due to the fact that he was the best of the worst,  why throw at P2 when you had much weaker CBs to throw at the last couple years.  When they did throw at him,  he looked really weak at times,  like he was using a whole game to set up the QB for a shot at an INT,  even at the expense of giving up some otherwise easily defended routes and passes.  His best years are definitely way behind him.  I still wonder how he would transition to S,  although I dont know that he likes hitting that much.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

I think Tomlinson is well above pedestrian, ranking 14th among 100 qualifiers in PFF's IDL rankings. I don't think he deserves a massive contract though, and that's likely what he's pursuing and why he hasn't been resigned. But whether you like him or not, if the Vikings lose him, that's one more starter we're going to have to find somewhere. 

Shelley and Tomlinson should be paramount. Tomlinson was banged up a bit this year, but is one of the better guys in the league. It was great to hear he moved his opt out date so they could keep working on a deal. He’ll be a little spendy, but he’s a solid addition. Personally, I like Tonga paired with him as part of the line. 

Shelley is an easy add if he’ll come at a reasonable price. My one concern is the new system. 

P2 played great last year and was probably responsible for a couple of wins. His price tag after a big year will probably decide the route they take. Age is always a concern, but he seems to make up for it a bit with vet savvy. 
I don’t care about long snapper, but I don’t notice him so keep him lol. 
Lastly, I’m mixed on Bradbury. He was definitely better this past year and there seemed a noticeable drop off when he was out. The other couple guys available in free agency are probably similar, but if one is much better in pass blocking, I’d try to sign that guy. We could do worse than Bradbury though and he may have the best price tag and leave more space for defense. 

Graham Glasgow might be a cheap C option in FA.  Denver just released him the other day in a cap saving move. 

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
Shelley and Tomlinson should be paramount. Tomlinson was banged up a bit this year, but is one of the better guys in the league. It was great to hear he moved his opt out date so they could keep working on a deal. He’ll be a little spendy, but he’s a solid addition. Personally, I like Tonga paired with him as part of the line. 

Shelley is an easy add if he’ll come at a reasonable price. My one concern is the new system. 
P2 played great last year and was probably responsible for a couple of wins. His price tag after a big year will probably decide the route they take. Age is always a concern, but he seems to make up for it a bit with vet savvy. 
I don’t care about long snapper, but I don’t notice him so keep him lol. 
Lastly, I’m mixed on Bradbury. He was definitely better this past year and there seemed a noticeable drop off when he was out. The other couple guys available in free agency are probably similar, but if one is much better in pass blocking, I’d try to sign that guy. We could do worse than Bradbury though and he may have the best price tag and leave more space for defense. 
Same on Bradbury. My fear is that we downgrade there. That could easily happen if we're not careful. 

Regarding Shelley and the new system, Flores plays a lot of man and Shelley, in half a season, ranked 2nd among 136 corners in PFF's man coverage grade, ahead of Sauce, Surtain and Gilmore. No, he's not a corner on that level, and I know he's not ideal size, but if I'm the Vikings I'd want to see if he can't do that again before I let him get away. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I'm open minded about anything they might do. Or attempt to do. A little birdie told me they might be very interested in drafting a QB this year.
I think they're going to try, but funny thing about best-laid plans....

If they're able to land one of the top 5, they likely let Cousins play out his final year and then, based on how the rookie looks in '23, they will either extend Cousins or go with the kid.