Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting re: Kwesi/JJ dynamic

This kid just wants it. Its a big reason why he's so good. Keep him in the loop, its smart.....get some opinions, information and then pull the trigger. Its what good leaders do. 

Not sure if he wasn’t referring to building around him vs his “input” on decisions … many moves have to come before Jefferson’s inevitable extension.
Vikings GM: Extension for WR Justin Jefferson a 'high priority'If there was any doubt about the Vikings' plans for All-Pro receiver Justin Jefferson, who became eligible for a contract extension after finishing his third NFL season, general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah cleared it up Tuesday.
"I don't want to be the Vikings' GM without that guy on our team," Adofo-Mensah said while speaking to reporters at the NFL scouting combine. "So it's a high priority. We've got to make sure we do in the order that we can do it in, obviously, given all of our other decisions we have to make."
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35753361/vikings-gm-extension-wr-justin-jefferson-high-priority

Everyone wants to win until they have to make a business decision that affects their kids and grandkids.  We'll see how much less than market value JJ wants to take to win.  But it's definitely better to have that drive to win than to be lazy and comfortable.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
Everyone wants to win until they have to make a business decision that affects their kids and grandkids.  We'll see how much less than market value JJ wants to take to win.  But it's definitely better to have that drive to win than to be lazy and comfortable.
You really think he's going to get less than market value? I think he's going to break the market. Highest paid non QB in history. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:
You really think he's going to get less than market value? I think he's going to break the market. Highest paid non QB in history. 
Yah, JJ contract may look like something out of MLB...

I've been listening to this want to win talk for 18 years with this ownership.  If 'wanting' was all it took we'd have 18 Lombardi's.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:
How did you read what I wrote and think I suggested he'll actually take less than market value?  I'm saying it's easy to want to win.  Everyone wants to win.  Tom Brady wanted to win so much that he voluntarily got paid less, so that his team could have a better chance at winning.  I don't think JJ wants to win as much as Brady did, to make the sacrifices Brady did in the desire to win, because almost no player makes those sacrifices, and in that regard I agree with you, he'll probably break the market.  Do I blame him.  Absolutely not.  Go get that money, but it's an offseason fluff piece to say he wants to win.

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:
How did you read what I wrote and think I suggested he'll actually take less than market value?  I'm saying it's easy to want to win.  Everyone wants to win.  Tom Brady wanted to win so much that he voluntarily got paid less, so that his team could have a better chance at winning.  I don't think JJ wants to win as much as Brady did, to make the sacrifices Brady did in the desire to win, because almost no player makes those sacrifices, and in that regard I agree with you, he'll probably break the market.  Do I blame him.  Absolutely not.  Go get that money, but it's an offseason fluff piece to say he wants to win.
Apparently, I do have reading issues because I'm still not sure what it is you're saying. Yes, of course it's an offseason fluff piece. That much I understand. The rest sounds like you're saying he wants to win, but not as much as Brady, not enough to take less money. Is that pretty much it? 

To that I would only say that JJ is 23 years old. This is his first real pay day and he could blowout a knee tomorrow. In the handful of cases where a player takes less to help the team, it's likely about many things in addition to a commitment to winning, like where a player is on his career timeline, history of income, and in Brady's case, household income.