Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Draft Talk
Thought we could make a general draft discussion thread with the Combine approaching. Just a few pre combine thoughts I had while digging in on some early evaluations;

- There could be as many as 7 cornerbacks going in the 1st round. While I don't see any elite, Patrick Surtain type's, the position is deep and talented. I'd be pretty upset if the Vikings took a cornerback, but there will be some talented corners still on the board when our pick comes up.

- I absolutely love this group of linebackers. Drew Sanders, Noah Sewell, and the Simpson kid from Clemson all look like really good prospects who offer some scheme flexibility. Hicks won't be back for us and they still have a decision to make on Kendricks. It's possible all 3 of these guys are still on the board at #23 and would be really good picks. 

- I've got Jalin Hyatt as my #1 WR in this class. He would be an absolute home run pick for us and give us a deep threat dimension this offense is sorely lacking. I'm going to be very curious how teams separate Johnston, Addison, Zay Flowers, and Smith-Njigba after that. 

- Not a great crop of defensive lineman. I think we can find some scheme specific bodies with our mid round picks but otherwise need to be active in free agency. We are going to continue running this crap 3-4 and IMO all three down lineman positions need to be upgraded. A couple guys I'll be watching at the combine are Ika the nose tackle from Baylor (LSU transfer), Gervon Baxter from Florida, and Keeanu Benton from Wisconsin. All bigger bodies that fit our scheme and to me defensive line is the biggest position of need on this roster. 

- My early overrated list: Tyree Wilson, Myles Murphy, Bryan Bresee, and Paris Johnson.

- I'd be shocked to see the Vikings draft a QB. If we trade down and add more picks, then taking someone like Hendon Hooker and stashing him away for a year makes a lot of sense. I think it's far more likely we add a Sam Darnold in free agency or trade for someone like Zac Wilson on the low end. 

Don't really understand the part about Darnold and Wilson. Presumably as back ups? I actually really like Mullens. Shit, I just looked it up. Mullens is a free agent. I didn't realize that. 

Like the idea of drafting Hooker if we trade down and accumulate some additional middle round picks. I think Mond was probably a better overall prospect, but Hooker is a better athlete. Still, if you're not going to get a top pick, you have to take shots on these guys. The cost is almost nothing. 

I'd put Addison over Hyatt, but I agree that Hyatt might be the kind of field stretcher we need. He seems to be holding steady in the 25-30 range. 

Love to see the Vikings take a LB after a small trade down. Simpson and Sanders should both be available in the late 20s and would look great next to Asamoah.  Sewell you can probably get in the 3rd round. 

Agree with you on corner. We have plenty of young talent. We need a vet. 

I like Ika, but I think Mazi Smith will be the 1st fatty off the board. A DT I'm starting to really like is Bryan Bresee. But honestly the Vikings might like Tonga, who graded out better than any DT from the last 2 draft classes. Pretty insane when you think about it: Jordan Davis, Wyatt, Barmore...

I would love to see the Vikings snag Sanders in a trade down scenario. Kid's a former 5 star who went to Alabama as an edge and transferred to Arkansas to play off the ball. I think Flores would love that type of versatility in the middle of his defense and to play with Asamoah for the future.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Don't really understand the part about Darnold and Wilson. Presumably as back ups? I actually really like Mullens. Shit, I just looked it up. Mullens is a free agent. I didn't realize that. 

Like the idea of drafting Hooker if we trade down and accumulate some additional middle round picks. I think Mond was probably a better overall prospect, but Hooker is a better athlete. Still, if you're not going to get a top pick, you have to take shots on these guys. The cost is almost nothing. 

I'd put Addison over Hyatt, but I agree that Hyatt might be the kind of field stretcher we need. He seems to be holding steady in the 25-30 range. 

Love to see the Vikings take a LB after a small trade down. Simpson and Sanders should both be available in the late 20s and would look great next to Asamoah.  Sewell you can probably get in the 3rd round. 

Agree with you on corner. We have plenty of young talent. We need a vet. 

I like Ika, but I think Mazi Smith will be the 1st fatty off the board. A DT I'm starting to really like is Bryan Bresee. But honestly the Vikings might like Tonga, who graded out better than any DT from the last 2 draft classes. Pretty insane when you think about it: Jordan Davis, Wyatt, Barmore...
The Darnold/Wilson comment was just that I don't believe we will draft a QB this year and will likely look at other potential high upside options to address our once again unsettled backup QB situation with Kirk going into the last year of his contract. I'd be okay if they brought Mullens back, but he just doesn't have the long term starting potential I think we need from the position at this point.

I was a little disappointed from what I've seen from Bresee. I know he was dealing with the whole tragic situation with his sister and injuries, but to me he has not lived up to the potential he showed as a freshman. I watched a few Clemson games this year and Bresee was a total non-factor including being completely man handled by Notre Dame. So I'm shocked when I see him in these top 15 to 20 overall rankings. To me he is a second or third round pick

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
I would love to see the Vikings snag Sanders in a trade down scenario. Kid's a former 5 star who went to Alabama as an edge and transferred to Arkansas to play off the ball. I think Flores would love that type of versatility in the middle of his defense and to play with Asamoah for the future.
I love me some Drew Sanders. Versatile, instinctive and to me could be an Anthony Barr type player for us.

As distasteful as it might be, the DB room is a s hit show and they may very well go DB high again:

P2, Shelley and Sullivan are free agents
Andrew Booth Jr. is recovering from knee surgery 
All the uncertainty around Dantzler

That imo isnt even serviceable let along a strength.

Will be interesting how Flores wants them to play on the back-end, and how much he feels they do (or dont) have the personnel to pull anything off.  

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft

They have us taking CB Kelee Ringo from Georgia 

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:

Be a lot of unhappy Viking fans if they take Ringo and Addison is still sitting there...

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:

Be a lot of unhappy Viking fans if they take Ringo and Addison is still sitting there...
I mean there will always be unhappy Vikings fans

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:

Almost every mock draft I have seen has the Vikings taking a corner and it's just because people think we are losing Patrick Peterson and combine that with the fact we are picking in that sweet spot where a lot of corners are projected to go. I think you have to hope Flores is able to develop these young guys we've invested in in Dantzler, Evans, and Booth. We need at least two of them to step up and become solid starters for us next season. In the last nine years we have taken four 1st round corners and invested several other early round picks at the position (2nd through 4th round). It's time to sink or swim with what we have, especially when we have so many other needs. These guys staying healthy and a change in scheme is perhaps all that's needed at that position..