Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So why is our defense so bad?
See below top graded Vikings in 2022. Vikings clearly have one of the better edge tandems in the league. They also have two pretty good corners, with Shelley and Peterson finishing with the 3rd and 4th best coverage grades. Tonga and Tomlinson grade high as well. So...good up front, outside and inside, and good at corner. 

We all know PFF isn't perfect but I think most agree it's "roughly" accurate. So why does the defense finish so poorly in DVOA? In yards and points given up? Considering the individual performances, you would think this defense would be at least middle of the pack. Why is it not? Are the linebackers, safeties and slot corners really THAT bad? Or is it that the players perform well individually but not as part of a cohesive concept? 

Justin Jefferson (90.4)Christian Darrisaw (90.3)Danielle Hunter (86.3)Brian O'Neill (83.1)Za'Darius Smith (82.2)Duke Shelley (81.5)Patrick Peterson (80.7)Khyiris Tonga (77.9)Dalvin Tomlinson (77.1)Kirk Cousins (77.4)

I really have no idea. It seems one day its the D-line, the next game its the LBs and then another its the secondary. The Vikings don't do anything consistently well on defense. Opposing teams seem to have zero problem game planning for that D. I keep seeing these individual good ratings by PFF.com on the Viking's D and it doesn't add up to their overall shitty group play. 

I think the Giants are going to have a different plan offensively on Sunday for this Viking D. I wish I had more trust with Minnesota on that side of the football but its just been horrible. So many national media pundits are picking against Minnesota on Sunday and the D is the reason. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I really have no idea. It seems one day its the D-line, the next game its the LBs and then another its the secondary. The Vikings don't do anything consistently well on defense. Opposing teams seem to have zero problem game planning for that D. I keep seeing these individual good ratings by PFF.com on the Viking's D and it doesn't add up to their overall shitty group play. 

I think the Giants are going to have a different plan offensively on Sunday for this Viking D. I wish I had more trust with Minnesota on that side of the football but its just been horrible.
IMO, the Giants biggest mistake last game was giving Saquon Barkley 14 carries. I think we're going to see enough of him this week to make us sick. 

I've seen defenses completely change personalities in the playoffs. '87 Vikes did that. They were horrible late in the year. Lost 3 or their last 4, "backed into" the playoffs, then came out and destroyed two heavily favored teams mostly due to a well-prepared, ridiculously amped up defense. 

One can hope. 

So this is my entirely uneducated guess. 

PFF seems to significantly over value splash plays. We’ve had plenty of those this year so it help the ratings. 

Id also say that Hunter and Z smith have played like $hit especially given their contracts. Hunter needs to be able to cover in certain pass plays and cant. He’s also lost contain on run plays all year. Z. Smith is older and slower then his previous self. He fits the mold correctly, but just isn’t what he used to be. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
So this is my entirely uneducated guess. 

PFF seems to significantly over value splash plays. We’ve had plenty of those this year so it help the ratings. 

Id also say that Hunter and Z smith have played like $hit especially given their contracts. Hunter needs to be able to cover in certain pass plays and cant. He’s also lost contain on run plays all year. Z. Smith is older and slower then his previous self. He fits the mold correctly, but just isn’t what he used to be. 
As true as this statement is, Z & DH provide the only legit pass rush from the DEs. When they're not on the field, none of the other DEs are capable of rushing the QB. Jones may get there with some experience. But Wonnum just isn't good enough.

The sum of the parts just doesnt add up and a scheme that doesnt fool anyone.

Knucklhead is spot on - the pass rush is mild and nothing to fear. This team is still looking for IDL - since Shariff Floyd went lame. 

I have always thought we had talent on defense, but the issue has been the schemes, CBs have consistently been too far off the ball and there has been very limited blitzing, so on any play that is 3rd and less than 10 there is often an easy gap in the field to pick up the first. When the field gets smaller in the red zone and we can't play so far off the ball, we play better.  In addition, there is almost no in game adjustments to what the opponent is doing.  The moments when we do play more aggressive it looks like a different defense, 

Ed Donatell....there's the answer. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Ed Donatell....there's the answer. 
Honestly, I hope this is the answer. Its easy to change. 

Agree with you all and I'll also add-- the middle of the field seems to be wide open to slot WRs every game.Likely a scheme thing but there is sooooo much space in front of the safeties. The 8-12 yard routes have been effective all season long against us and I doubt that changes Sunday. This kills us on 2nd and 3rd and longs.
The WR James for NYG (Ricky, maybe?) had two critical drops in our first game against them that I remember, but he was open all day on slants, hooks, and basically all intermediate routes inside.
Pat Pete and whoever is opposite him have actually held up well on the outside in my opinion.