Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A case for the worst Superbowl contender ever
Quite the headline, huh? lol. Story below:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/d...ender-ever

That is the best article I've read in a long time.  Its well worth the time. "It’s never happened before.” IMHO is the MANTRA for this team.  Enjoy the read and enjoy the ride.  I particularly like the part about "gut and superstition " 

A lot of the "experts" are focusing on stats such as point differential and others that the Vikes rate low in, but isn't 11-0 in one score games also a stat and one that an argument can be made is one of the most important ones as it is a measure of resiliency and ability to play in the clutch which are two of the most important elements to winning post season games.  At some point, the Vikes are likely to be in a close playoff game, at that point, which team will the "experts" want to put their money on to win the game, the team that was 11-0 in those games all season or the team with the high point differential?

Quote: @JR44 said:
A lot of the "experts" are focusing on stats such as point differential and others that the Vikes rate low in, but isn't 11-0 in one score games also a stat and one that an argument can be made is one of the most important ones as it is a measure of resiliency and ability to play in the clutch which are two of the most important elements to winning post season games.  At some point, the Vikes are likely to be in a close playoff game, at that point, which team will the "experts" want to put their money on to win the game, the team that was 11-0 in those games all season or the team with the high point differential?
Right?  Our point differential isn't typical of most 12-3 teams because our defense isn't that good.  Better than last year in terms of getting some key stops at critical moments and getting more turnovers...  But the fact remains we give up a lot of yards and points.

If you take out the Dallas blow out, we look a lot better in point differential.  Also, if you look at our average margin of victory, it's almost 6 pts per win (5.83).

As the season has progressed, I think this is what we are.  A team with a good offense that can make some big plays at key times, a below average defense that has some swagger in big moments, and good special teams. I don't know if that's a recipe to win a Super Bowl this year, but we'll certainly find out.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@JR44 said:
Right?  Our point differential isn't typical of most 12-3 teams because our defense isn't that good.  Better than last year in terms of getting some key stops at critical moments and getting more turnovers...  But the fact remains we give up a lot of yards and points.

If you take out the Dallas blow out, we look a lot better in point differential.  Also, if you look at our average margin of victory, it's almost 6 pts per win (5.83).

As the season has progressed, I think this is what we are.  A team with a good offense that can make some big plays at key times, a below average defense that has some swagger in big moments, and good special teams. I don't know if that's a recipe to win a Super Bowl this year, but we'll certainly find out.
Totally agrees with you Wetlander.  We're setting a lot better now than a year ago and do have the possibilities/opportunities to go a lot further.

I think you can't talk about this year accurately without fully appreciating what happened last year. Last year's Vikings ranked very highly in DVOA, despite the fact that they finished with a losing record. 

Last year, 8 of their 9 losses were one-possession games. A year later, same team, same core of players, same basic level of talent. Both teams probably 10 to 11 win rosters. But we're winning those games this year, likely because of better coaching, better culture and more emphasis on situational football. 

So, how are we going to do in the playoffs? Honestly, not well if we can't stop the mid-game offensive ruts and the wide open underneath routes on defense. Not well at all. 

My reason for hope is three-fold: 1. Getting Bradbury back alongside a much improved Ed Ingram. Cousins has been good all year, but he's on another level with protection. 2. Then getting Evans back to go with Shelley, Dantzler and P2. 3. Donatell has shown a very slight willingness to be more aggressive lately. If that continues to ratchet up, the Vikings might have a chance. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think you can't talk about this year accurately without fully appreciating what happened last year. Last year's Vikings ranked very highly in DVOA, despite the fact that they finished with a losing record. 

Last year, 8 of their 9 losses were one-possession games. A year later, same team, same core of players, same basic level of talent. Both teams probably 10 to 11 win rosters. But we're winning those games this year, likely because of better coaching, better culture and more emphasis on situational football. 

So, how are we going to do in the playoffs? Honestly, not well if we can't stop the mid-game offensive ruts and the wide open underneath routes on defense. Not well at all. 

My reason for hope is three-fold: 1. Getting Bradbury back alongside a much improved Ed Ingram. Cousins has been good all year, but he's on another level with protection. 2. Then getting Evans back to go with Shelley, Dantzler and P2. 3. Donatell has shown a very slight willingness to be more aggressive lately. If that continues to ratchet up, the Vikings might have a chance. 
 I think those two thoughts go together.  When Dantzler was healthy and starting to catch on, our D wasn't actually terrible.  If we have Evans, Shelley and Dantzler to go with P2, we have a chance.

Every team in each conference has a playoff ride that ends except for one team. Does that make every losing playoff team a shit team with blatant weaknesses? Nope. The playoffs are a moment in time. If there's any team in the NFL that plays better in the moment, or when they need a play or a stop have it come through consistently with no more room for error its Minnesota. Win a home playoff game to start and then play YOLO ball on the road and good things might happen. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Every team in each conference has a playoff ride that ends except for one team. Does that make every losing playoff team a shit team with blatant weaknesses? Nope. The playoffs are a moment in time. If there's any team in the NFL that plays better in the moment, or when they need a play or a stop have it come through consistently with no more room for error its Minnesota. Win a home playoff game to start and then play YOLO ball on the road and good things might happen. 
i generally agree. but even your positivity is a litrle pessimistic. only 1 home game for No2 seed if you win round 1? or are we expecting to lose our spot?

Quote: @Vikeking2 said:
@StickyBun said:
i generally agree. but even your positivity is a litrle pessimistic. only 1 home game for No2 seed if you win round 1? or are we expecting to lose our spot?
I expect to lose the #2 seed, yes. Good catch. This D is really bad. I wouldn't be surprised to see KOC rest some starters in the last game against Chicago.