Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ed Ingram
After being taken in the second round of the 2022 draft out of LSU, the 6-foot-3, 305-pound Ingram has played every Vikings offensive snap this season at right guard, and yes, there have been some growing pains. Among 86 NFL guards, he is rated No. 62 by Pro Football Focus.Nevertheless, Vikings offensive coordinator Wes Phillips said there hasn’t been any serious thought to replacing Ingram because he’s “our best right guard and he has continued to improve.” Head coach Kevin O’Connell gave Ingram a vote of confidence Thursday but did stress the need for him to be more consistent.
“I’ve challenged him with consistency,” O’Connell said. “How many snaps in a row can you put it together? Can you start games fast?”
Ingram acknowledges he has had ups and downs during a season in which, according to Pro Football Focus, he has given up 51 pressures and an NFL-most nine sacks. But he believes he’s showing improvement.
“I’m a rookie, and I’m starting to get more comfortable out there, and I’m learning a lot more stuff,” Ingram said “My play is going up. … I’m being coachable. If I get beat on something in a game, then you don’t see me get beat on it again because I’ll fix it. … I need to be more consistent with run blocking, pass blocking and all of that. Just consistency overall.”
Ingram said Minnesota’s other offensive linemen have helped him adjust to the NFL. He pointed to Chris Reed, his backup at right guard, as being a big asset.
“I trust everything he says,” Ingram said. “He’s led me right.”
Reed, a seven-year veteran out of Minnesota State Mankato, has played only on special teams in the four games he has been active this season. He considers it his duty to take Ingram under his wing.
“He wants to do a lot better, and I’ll usually take one thing a day and work on it before practice,” Reed said. “Or I’ll be in meetings and I’ll talk him through a play. … He’s got a lot of talent, and I think once his football IQ kind of gets up a little bit and he’s played a little bit more ball, he’s going to be a really good guard.”
And, yes, Reed has talked to Ingram about him accidentally tripping Cousins.
“It comes down to kind of knowing plays, knowing schemes and then kind of adjusting splits as needed,” Reed said.
Following the latest trip by Ingram, Phillips said the Vikings “can’t have that happening.” But he did point out some of the positive plays Ingram made against the Colts, including an impressive block of Colts star defensive tackle DeForest Buckner that gave Cousins time to throw a two-point conversion pass to tight end T.J. Hockenson that tied the score 36-36 with 2:15 remaining in regulation.
https://www.twincities.com/2022/12/22/vikings-rookie-guard-ed-ingram-improving-except-for-this-one-weird-recurring-mistake/

He needs to quit stepping on Cousins feet

He says he doesn't make the same mistake twice,  yet has given up 51 pressures and 9 sacks.....  sorry Ed,  there aren't that many ways to beat you,  you are getting repeatedly best with some of the same moves.  His biggest weakness seems to be the stunts and twists,  he follows his guy and leaves the back door wide ass open.

I do think alot of it is mental: he gets annihilated sometimes because he's off-balance.....he's off-balance because he's not getting all the plays exactly right all the time. And then his mood probably fluctuates and you have that lack of consistency that KOC alludes to. I think its very possible he makes a nice leap in productivity and consistency next season. He's got talent and power. 

I like the way he carries himself. Quiet, humble, but he's maybe 2nd only to Darrisaw in nasty. I think Reed is right. Once his football IQ catches up with the rest, he's going to be fine. 

I think the tackles and the guards are done. Now, we just have to re-sign Bradbury. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
He says he doesn't make the same mistake twice,  yet has given up 51 pressures and 9 sacks.....  sorry Ed,  there aren't that many ways to beat you,  you are getting repeatedly best with some of the same moves.  His biggest weakness seems to be the stunts and twists,  he follows his guy and leaves the back door wide ass open.
I can only assume his mental game is underdeveloped judging by Reed's comment he needs to improve his football IQ. It has been said those things often don't improve until the second season for O-linemen.
But one thing is obvious. He is bad on stunts, twists, and delayed blitzes because his feet are slow. Even when he sees them he moves too slow to pick them up. Not sure how much is failure to recognize and how much is bad feet.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
 Now, we just have to re-sign Bradbury. 
I have to admit, I didn't think those words would have even been used in the same sentence.

What's sad is that #62 out of 86 is still better than Oli or Dozier before him.  At least Ingram still has upside.  Just not stepping on Kirk next year would probably be worth at least 1 spot  :p

Quote: @wiviking said:
@MaroonBells said:
 Now, we just have to re-sign Bradbury. 
I have to admit, I didn't think those words would have even been used in the same sentence.
Didn't seem very likely a year ago, did it? But I think the size narrative about Bradbury was always false. It just didn't make sense. 

I wonder what our line would look like with Ed and Ezra switching sides?  I thought Cleveland looked better early on at the RG and not as good at LG,  and maybe Ed would be better suited on the left side?  Obviously not a in season expirament,  but maybe something to play with in some OTAs before next years camp.  If nothing else it might save Kirk's toes.