Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF grades vs. the Jets

Blake Brandel has been a good player for us with Darrisaw out.  Pretty crazy to see an inexperienced guy like that step in and play like a veteran.  There were rumblings last year the Vikings really liked this kid, glad the new coaching staff saw the same thing.

Ingram is definitely playing better. Brandel has been a pleasant surprise which is great because if Darrisaw comes back I doubt it's before the Colts game. 

I don't understand why Tonga does not get more reps, interior DL has been a weakness all year and he seems to always make plays when he is in.  

I dont know if we have to be changing things a bunch scheme wise with Brandel playing, but it sure appears we may not have to rush Darrisaw back, and thats a good thing! 

I thought Cook struggled some yesterday and in previous games too. Probably not fair to say its all on him, but he does not seem to consistently have the same burst as seasons b4. 

Edit Interesting to compare vs 21:

22: 198/927/4.7/7 tds, 28 receptions/157/1 td
21: 249/1159/4.7/6 tds, 34 receptions/224/0 td

Doesnt look like he's dropped off much vs 21, I would have thought with KOC that the receiving would be much higher vs 21 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
I dont know if we have to be changing things a bunch scheme wise with Brandel playing, but it sure appears we may not have to rush Darrisaw back, and thats a good thing! 

I thought Cook struggled some yesterday and in previous games too. Probably not fair to say its all on him, but he does not seem to consistently have the same burst as seasons b4. 

Doesnt look like he's dropped off much vs 21, I would have thought with KOC that the receiving would be much higher vs 21 
He seems to miss a lot of open holes or cut back lanes like his vision is off. He is very hit or miss. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
Blake Brandel has been a good player for us with Darrisaw out.  Pretty crazy to see an inexperienced guy like that step in and play like a veteran.  There were rumblings last year the Vikings really liked this kid, glad the new coaching staff saw the same thing.

FWIW This is the 3rd time I have seen him make leaps in his game so I am not  surprised by his improvement.

Probably more than anyone else here, I saw this coming 3 years ago.

How did  I know ,  simple,  Brandel and I  graduated from the same High School.
The guys I played with and against in 1987 coached him up in High School.

I watched him start as a Freshman in High school and went on to win 2 state championships and win the Player of the year in the Mt.Hood conference as a Senior.

He dominated.

Oregon High School football isn't known as being a powerhouse, but he played on a stacked HS team that sent 5 guys to the NFL.  

Then as a RS freshman at OSU it was the same thing, sink or swim. He improved every year at OSU

He has a mental toughness to him that ya can't coach. And given time, he improves by making fewer mistakes.

Some guys are just like that, they can figure it out and can improve over time.

Watching it all play out over 9 years I've come to believe it's just who he is. a really good football player.

Quote: @"TBro" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

He seems to miss a lot of open holes or cut back lanes like his vision is off. He is very hit or miss. 
Could be the scheme change?  Or he is surprised by an actual opening?

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
That 2020 draft is looking pretty good. 

Justin Jefferson, Ezra Cleveland, Cam Dantzler, KJO, and Blake Brandel. Even some of the lesser players have flashed when given the opportunity: DJ Wonnum, James Lynch, Josh Metellus.