Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1970 Dallas at Minnesota
1970 regular season game.  Vikings beat Cowboys 54-13.   At one point it was 54-6 in 3rd quarter.  Cowboys went to the Super Bowl that year.  Season is NOT over.   Bad days happen.   How many remember the 2015 game when Seattle came to visit TCF?   35-0 at one point.   Patterson got a meaningless KO return for TD.   Vikings went on  to win 3 out of the next 4, win the division and had that SAME Seattle team beat in the playoffs but we all know the ending to that one.   My point still stands.  The 2008 Cardinals who went to the Super Bowl and almost won went 9-7 lost games:  56-35 to the Jets, 48-20 Eagles, 35-14 Vikings, 47-7 Patriots.   It happens.   

Fans always want to pin-point how much of a loss like that is on the coaching vs players...

That was the worst home loss in 59 years for this franchise. Probably plenty of blame to go around. 

I had a bad feeling about this game after winning @ NY like they did. So reminiscent of 2017 Saints miracle win then @ Philly. 

Always appreciate a players perspective - thx for posting that OP Chuck. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Fans always want to pin-point how much of a loss like that is on the coaching vs players...

That was the worst home loss in 59 years for this franchise. Probably plenty of blame to go around. 

I had a bad feeling about this game after winning @ NY like they did. So reminiscent of 2017 Saints miracle win then @ Philly. 

Always appreciate a players perspective - thx for posting that OP Chuck. 
You could tell early on it wasn't going to be our day. Two balls right through Hockenson's hands, Z has a sure sack that he didn't finish, the DPI on JJ that wasn't called, the Cook unsportsmanlike penalty. During 8-1, we had many of those calls go our way, but they all went against us early in this one, and it snowballed. 

We still would've lost. We were fundamentally outmatched on both sides of the ball. Players, coaches, game plan, you name it....but it could've been a different kind of game. 

These things happen in sports.  Days when one team just totally dominates another.  They are mostly one-off events, the teams tend to revert to the mean the next game.   New England is a beatable team and road teams are at a disadvantage on Thursdays.  It's also said that teams get past blowout losses faster than close heartbreakers.   Having a game right away is probably the best thing for them.

Quote: @comet52 said:
These things happen in sports.  Days when one team just totally dominates another.  They are mostly one-off events, the teams tend to revert to the mean the next game.   New England is a beatable team and road teams are at a disadvantage on Thursdays.  It's also said that teams get past blowout losses faster than close heartbreakers.   Having a game right away is probably the best thing for them.
except that one of the biggest issues is injuries and another game in 4 days isnt going to help that one bit.

Jimmy-Well aren't you little Mary Sunshine....jk

I'm gonna chug my purple koolaid and wash this nasty taste out of my mouth

I know players are dinged but hope next man up is the call and adjust to make it work.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@comet52 said:
except that one of the biggest issues is injuries and another game in 4 days isnt going to help that one bit.
Injuries (which all teams deal with) and the serious lack of quality depth. 

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@comet52 said:
Injuries (which all teams deal with) and the serious lack of quality depth. 
Thats on the current (somewhat) and previous GM,  but also on the coaches to find schemes that fit what they've got for players.  It's easier to adjust the scheme every year to fit what you do best than it is to try and pound square pegs into round holes IMO.