Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we need to pay Kirk more?
Thought that would get your attention. But....

https://twitter.com/PFF_Moo/status/15895...07744?s=20&t=lzVztud_oWjgsvD5dm1IOg

Get it right @MB....

Do we need to pay Kirko more? 

Vikings coach, teammates highlight Kirk Cousins' grit after another comeback winSince he became a starter in 2015, Cousins has played 7,813 snaps, the third-most of any quarterback in the league behind Tom Brady and Matt Ryan.Kirk Cousins missed his first snap of the season on Sunday, after absorbing a shot to his midsection from Washington defensive tackle Daron Payne while firing a 47-yard third-down pass for Justin Jefferson in the fourth quarter. Had Cousins realized he needed to shake off the hit sooner and run another play, he said, he could have done it.

"I was kind of like, 'I could jog down there and suck wind for a second, but I think we scored so I'm just going to lay here and kind of catch my breath,'" Cousins said. "And then [the Vikings' medical staff was] like, 'No, he's down at the 10.' And I was like, 'Oh OK — I need to get up!' So I started jogging and they were like, 'You have to come out.' And I said, 'I figured. I figured.'"
After sitting out a play to satisfy NFL rules, Cousins was back on the field to finish the Vikings' field goal drive. He played 65 of the team's 66 offensive snaps, walking off the FedEx Field grass with a 20-17 comeback victory over his old team. In the locker room afterward, teammates marveled at their quarterback's level of grit they felt sometimes goes unnoticed
"He's a lot tougher than people have always [realized]," safety Harrison Smith said. "Like, no one ever talks about that, but like, this dude's tough. He gets knocked out for a play, and gets back in there."
Cousins is now in his eighth year as a starter. During that time, he's been available to his team more than almost any quarterback in the league.
Since he became a starter in 2015, Cousins has played 7,813 snaps, the third-most of any QB in the league behind Tom Brady and Matt Ryan.
Of the 45 quarterbacks who have logged at least 2,000 snaps — or roughly two seasons' worth of regular-season work — since 2015, no QB has played a higher percentage of his team's snaps than Cousins, who's been on the field 98% of the time.
After he sustained a cracked rib during a Monday night game in Chicago last December, Cousins showed up on the injury report for the first time since 2013; he played the following Sunday against the Rams. The game against the Packers he missed in January, after testing positive for COVID-19, was only the second he'd missed since becoming a full-time starter; the first one came when the Vikings rested most of their starters for the 2019 regular-season finale after clinching a playoff spot.
On Sunday, he was sacked twice and hit 11 times on a day where the Commanders pressured him on 45.2% of his dropbacks, according to Pro Football Focus.
"The interior of that defensive line is pretty darn good," Vikings coach Kevin O'Connell said. "[Defensive end] Montez Sweat on the outside. They did some good things. They sent some timely secondary pressures, corner [blitzes]. We are seeing kind of the full gambit [in response] to some of our stuff. We've got to continue to do a good job handling some of that stuff throughout as we start to see it."
But the play to Jefferson was special to O'Connell.
"That was a critical 3rd-and-7. We've got the match up one-on-one, but Kirk knew he was going to have to pay for that one. ... But for him to stay in there and make that throw in that moment and only miss one snap — and really, it's just a league rule [that he had to come out]," O'Connell said. "But otherwise he wanted to stay in there and obviously go down there and finish that thing.
"https://www.startribune.com/vikings-commanders-kirk-cousins-danielle-hunter-jordan-hicks-goessling/600222839/

I think that Kirk's toughness and reliability aren't talked about enough. He might be the most durable QB I have ever seen, at least one of them. 

[Image: vjs9ge6fweqw.png]

I’m sure he would “Like that!”  B) 

Kirk Cousins threw seven interceptions last season. 
He tossed his sixth one on Sunday. And, you know what? That's OK. Sunday's pick — a 26-yarder into the end zone with 14 seconds left in the first half — cost the Vikings a shot at a field goal and a 10-3 lead. 
But it was one of multiple examples on Sunday that Cousins is getting more comfortable letting his super-duper-star, Justin Jefferson, make special plays few others can against good corners in tight coverage. 
Former Gophers corner Benjamin St-Juste knocked the ball from Jefferson's grip and Danny Johnson intercepted. And that's OK. Cousins challenged St-Juste successfully early — including a 17-yard third-down completion on the opening touchdown drive — and late. 
Those of us who don't enjoy watching Kirk play it safe as Captain Checkdown need to live with the occasional pick if it means more opportunities for a weapon like Jefferson.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
I think that Kirk's toughness and reliability aren't talked about enough. He might be the most durable QB I have ever seen, at least one of them. 
Favre was incredibly durable as well and was one of the greats so the TV announcers would mention how tough and durable he was after every hit. Cousins is as tough and durable but he is not one of the greats so the narrative is a little different. 

We are paying a little above market value for Kirk's services so I would not pay him more.

The interesting thing is if you used stats to judge Kirk over the years then he has been a Top 5-10 statistical QB other than wins which he is around .500!  This year his stats aren't as good as the past, but we are winning.  Winning cures all ills and apparently makes fellow posers want to spend more of the Wilf's money Smile

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Get it right @MB....

Do we need to pay Kirko more? 
Nope. That ain't it, it's Big Kirko.