Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Vikings’ Sam Bradford ready to be an elite NFL QB?
The last time a Vikings quarterback was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week, the season went pretty well.
That was in 2009, when Brett Favre won the award twice, and the Vikings made it to the NFC championship game.
Sam Bradford picked up the honor Wednesday for his lights-out performance in Monday night’s 29-19 season-opening victory over New Orleans at U.S. Bank Stadium. Bradford completed 27 of 32 passes for 346 yards, three touchdowns and a career-high passer rating of 143.0.
“Obviously, it’s cool,” Bradford said. “I think if you get named that, you played well and helped your team win.” Bradford’s Game 1 performance leads many to wonder whether he finally can reach expectations that have been heaped upon him.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/13/is-...te-nfl-qb/

I'm going on record; it's incredibly early for this kind of speculation...Press, they'll heap praise in a win and the sky will be falling if the Steelers kick our asz on Sunday...

He has never been elite.  No reason to think he will be now.  He can be top tier though but he needs a top offense around him.

I just want to win a Super Bowl. Elite or not. Lets just get it done.

Elite is a fleeting term. Aaron Rodgers is elite most of the time I guess. Matt Ryan wasn't elite two years ago. Last year he was elite. We'll see about this year. Two years ago folks in Boston were saying that Brady was done. He's elite again. Or at least he was until last weekend. Andrew Luck was elite for a season or two. Now there is talk he could part ways with Indy. Philip Rivers goes from elite to league average seemingly every week. Who's elite? Eli Manning? Russell Wilson? Cam Newton? Carson Palmer? 

Sam was elite last weekend. We'll see about this week. Bottom line is this: is he good enough to win a Super Bowl given a healthy season, a solid supporting cast and protection? You bet he is. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

Sam was elite last weekend. We'll see about this week. Bottom line is this: is he good enough to win a Super Bowl given a healthy season, a solid supporting cast and protection? You bet he is. 
This is all that truly matters to me.

The media loves to crown a guy or tear him a new one after one game....why not let it breathe a bit and we'll see? He certainly was elite on MNF. 

Being “elite” isn’t about pure statistical performances, it’s
about how much better performance you provide over your peers.  A tier 2-3 QB with a great surrounding cast
might be able to statistically outperform an elite QB with a poor surrounding
cast.  An elite QB elevates the play of
those around him, both in good times and in tough times.

I think he clearly has the ability to make great, accurate
throws, to hit receivers in stride, to make a great throw while taking a hit.  I’m not convinced that he has the charisma to
really rally the troops and sometimes it seems like he’s emotionally taken the
game off.  I think he’s had a lot of
losing in his career and might find it acceptable.  An elite QB always thinks that they can still
win the game, and that confidence allows them to make those few key plays that
change the tide of the game.  I know Zimmer
has been working with him on improving those leadership qualities, and
hopefully that side of his game has improved.

I know some people think our offense lacks star power.  I don’t believe that.  We have a very consistent and deep receiving
group.  Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph, and Floyd
will be able to consistently be productive against normal defenses and will expose
many teams lack of secondary depth.  As
long as our OLine blocks well, Bradford can still be a good but not elite QB
that delivers an elite-like performance. 
It will really come down to how well he performs in those high pressure
games at the end of the season.

I've got one question.  If we are an elite QB away from winning it all and we've got him already with the only hindrance being an OL.  Why didn't we go all in on the OL.  Oakland did the past 2 years.  Its one of the reasons Carr has looked so good.  We had the money to resign our D long term.  I know its a short term vs long term but if we blow up again this year Zimmer better behave because he might be on the hot seat. 

I like our teams chances if we can keep Sam healthy.  I don't think he's a Erin Rogers or Tom Shady type QB but I do think he's in that "dang good" category. 

Could Sam become "elite"?  I don't see why not, as he has the tools and (finally) some consistency in terms of his surrounding cast.  To be clear, though, I care a ton more about an elite OFFENSE than I do about any one member of it.  Right now, we are actually getting close to an "09" situation, with a big-armed QB that has at least two very dangerous receivers (three with Rudolph), an emerging RB, and an overall look and feel of balance and competence.  Add that to our defense, and this should be one helluva season...and maybe elevate Sam in the fickle eyes of the QB-obsessed.