Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injuries around the NFL
Its just a constant reminder of how it can impact a game and a team's potential every season. Such an ugly but influential part of the game week to week. The best laid plans and potential can just go up in smoke. Being a fan of a particular team, you don't really see what's happening with opponents and the injuries. We're too focused on our favorite franchise. But IMO its the #1 reason for any team with some talent to be impacted positively or negatively. Can't imagine how frustrating it is for a coaching staff as they are helpless to its impact. I hate to see it for any team. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Its just a constant reminder of how it can impact a game and a team's potential every season. Such an ugly but influential part of the game week to week. The best laid plans and potential can just go up in smoke. Being a fan of a particular team, you don't really see what's happening with opponents and the injuries. We're too focused on our favorite franchise. But IMO its the #1 reason for any team with some talent to be impacted positively or negatively. Can't imagine how frustrating it is for a coaching staff as they are helpless to its impact. I hate to see it for any team. 
I don't think it's a coincidence that the last two Super Bowl winners were also two of the healthiest teams in the NFL. I also remember that KC, the team blown out by the Bucs two years ago, had several key injuries going into that game. A lot of that goes unnoticed because players on IR don't appear on the injury report. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
 A lot of that goes unnoticed because players on IR don't appear on the injury report. 
That, and the fact that nobody cares. The Packers beat a TB team that had no WRs. Nobody cares. GB won and TB lost. TB beat KC in the SB when KC was missing several starters along the O-line. Nobody cares. All we see is that Brady won his 2,000th SB.

The "next man up" mentality is essential to any football team, indeed, to any athletic team.  They have to have it because they have a game coming up and need to believe they can win. But the fans, announcers, reporters, etc. have all bought into the "next man up" mentality.

It's not for us; it's for the teams. We are allowed to think.

As the NFL has expanded the season, the element of injuries (which has a luck as a factor) becomes more and more important in the post season.  Same in other sports but more relevant in the high contact sport of football.