Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts: Dolphins
Quick notes:
  • This season:  5-1.  I actually thought the Vikings had a good chance against the Packers just because they had no real idea what the Vikings would throw at them.  But after that. I thought it was a crap shoot as the other teams would have film on the Vikings and the Vikings would be some distance from feeling comfortable in the new defensive and offensive schemes.   Throw in games in London and Miami and I couldn't imagine the Vikes being 5-1.  Though the record is great, I can imagine the buy-in is even better.  You have the Vikes travel late to London and not take the bye after the London game and it works.  You have the Vikes wearing sweats during practice this week and bring in special cooling stuff to Miami and it works.  I thought cutting Berry and going with an undrafted rookie punter was a mistake and it works.  Bradbury is still center and it works.  (Maybe the only thing that hasn't work yet are the first couple of draft picks but their careers are young).  More importantly, it looks like the players are enjoying themselves and each other.
  • This game:  This was such a trap game.  Just the adjustment for the weather alone.  Couple that with the bye week and this could have been a disaster.
  • Wright:  As stated above, I was wrong about Wright.  Here's a question -- if he had had the same performance as he did against the Bears last year, do you think he would have been with the team the next week?
  • Defense:  Let's face it; the Viking defense is becoming opportunistic.  It is really refreshing to see the defense create turnovers.
  • Defensive Rotations:  It is also refreshing to see how many defensive players get run -- especially the defensive line.  This week, I am certain the heat was a reason for the rotation (and Dolphins dominating time of possession) but look at the numbers (out of 78 defensive snaps): Dalvin Tomlinson: 45; Harrison Phillips: 41; Jonathan Bullard: 28; James Lynch: 20 and Ross Blacklock: 19.  The one strange thing -- Luiji Vilain: 17 versus Brian Asamoah: 2.  Did not expect that though not totally apple to oranges. 

Bradbury's having a good season, but he was awful against Miami. Hoping for a bounce back there.

Also surprised Asamoah got only 2 snaps after KOC said he was going to play more. Maybe didn't want to risk a rookie mistake covering Hill and Waddle. But on the other hand, Asamoah actually has the speed and range to keep up with them. Kendricks and Hicks were a step behind on too many plays. In their defense, most NFL LBs are a step slow against those guys. 

I forgot to add that it looks like the defensive line are doing more stunts now -- don't know whether they are just working those in or whether that was Dolphin specific.

On the flip side let’s look across the St. Croix river into Packer Land.  Smile

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Bradbury's having a good season, but he was awful against Miami. Hoping for a bounce back there.
Bradbury and Ingram were both awful but this year I have the confidence that they will bounce back.

Good points, VO.  That is one thing I can live with regarding the defense...  If you're going to be susceptible to giving up yards, you better be opportunistic.  Turnovers count the same as stops and are momentum changers.  Gets the team fired up. 

I hope we keep seeing that, definitely seems like a coaching point because I've noticed a lot more guys chopping the ball on tackles and guys ripping for the ball when there are 2-3 defenders in on the tackle.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@MaroonBells said:
Bradbury and Ingram were both awful but this year I have the confidence that they will bounce back.
I was at this game - btw, it looked like at least 25% Vikings fans. The interior O-line was horrible, but Ingram did have a key block on Dalvin's 53-yard run. But they were otherwise awful.  I have no idea how the D is giving so few points considering all the yards they surrender. Every QB torches them. Still, points are what count and they're keeping most teams out of the endzone.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
Good points, VO.  That is one thing I can live with regarding the defense...  If you're going to be susceptible to giving up yards, you better be opportunistic.  Turnovers count the same as stops and are momentum changers.  Gets the team fired up. 

I hope we keep seeing that, definitely seems like a coaching point because I've noticed a lot more guys chopping the ball on tackles and guys ripping for the ball when there are 2-3 defenders in on the tackle.
  It's coached.  I heard a Pat Peterson interview yesterday where he was asked whether or not the team is just getting "lucky" or are they trying to get these turnovers.  His reply was the defense starts each practice doing "strip and rake" drills to dislodge the ball.  He admitted there's some luck involved, but they're making genuine efforts to force turnovers. 

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@Wetlander said:

It's coached.  I heard a Pat Peterson interview yesterday where he was asked whether or not the team is just getting "lucky" or are they trying to get these turnovers.  His reply was the defense starts each practice doing "strip and rake" drills to dislodge the ball.  He admitted there's some luck involved, but they're making genuine efforts to force turnovers. 

Nice, figured that was the case.

And here is the stat of the game:

According to Sports Illustrated’s Will Ragatz, it is only the second time ever that the Vikings have been victorious while gaining fewer than 240 yards and allowing over 450. The last time it happened was in 1988, when the Vikings beat the Bears 28-27 after being outgained 465-218.