Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KOC: Inconsistency
KOC mentions this in his presser following the game. He says (paraphrasing) 'I know this may be a bit different for Viking's fans on how we win games, but the hope is we become more consistent as we learn the systems.' He obviously knows the team can play better and must play better. He also is giddy that the team is winning despite this inconsistency and is excited at how they WILL play moving forward with more games and reps. He mentions that the offense yesterday just needs to be better and he thinks they will. But the team is making plays at critical junctures of the game and that has been enough so far. I think the bye is coming at the perfect time. 

Vikings need the break. I was telling my son yesterday that, in terms of how the game is going to go, you can pretty much throw out the first two series for each team since those plays are all scripted. And that's basically game plan v. game plan. And theirs kicked our ass yesterday. But once that was over, it was a more realistic game, with good and bad on both sides. 

There was a drive in the 3rd quarter that was nearly flawless. Kirk had a totally different energy. Was it no huddle? I can't remember, but whatever it was, we need to do more of it. 

Yep...  A week after I say I don't have any concerns with the offense...  We have 8 or 10 three-and-outs?  Lol
Was it the road environment?  The heat and humidity?  Just an off game with a fired up Dolphins team that was desperate to get a win after two straight losses? 

I don't know, but it was encouraging to see the offense score TDs when they moved the ball and put points on the board off of turnovers created by the defense.  We call that complimentary football folks.

I know everyone wants to see dominant wins that makes us feel good and relaxed while we watch/cheer on our team...  but these have been some great character building wins.  Especially when you consider most of these guys were on the other side of these just a season ago...

Feel like this bye week is hitting us at the right time.  Good opportunity for the Rookie HC to reflect back on the past 6 weeks and figure out where we're going from here.

Are the Vikings good? Seems like nobody knows the answer to this question. Maybe the best answer is "not yet," because there's hope that as they become more familiar with their schemes, they'll start playing better and winning more convincingly. I hope so, but you'd like to see steady improvement and that's not happening either. Instead, you see fits and starts. Inconsistency. Just one example: We heap praise all over the OL, and rightly so, then they play like shit in Miami. 

https://twitter.com/DustBaker/status/158...28288?s=20&t=A77EEQWjOw7RATpYUxgL_w

Agreed the bye is coming at a good time. In a 17 week season, I wouldnt mind 2 byes for these guys. 

Looking at the remaining schedule, I think they can go .500 and that would make a hella first year for KOC

After watching KC vs Buffalo yesterday? Cowboys vs Eagles? It underscored for me we're going to have to double-down on improving the D over the next few seasons.

Looks like we have a good NFC team on our hands - they're just not NFL elite yet. 

So far a breath of fresh air for me as a fan though. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Are the Vikings good? Seems like nobody knows the answer to this question. Maybe the best answer is "not yet," because there's hope that as they become more familiar with their schemes, they'll start playing better and winning more convincingly. I hope so, but you'd like to see steady improvement and that's not happening either. Instead, you see fits and starts. Inconsistency. Just one example: We heap praise all over the OL, and rightly so, then they play like shit in Miami. 

I think the answer is yes, we're a good team. But you could ask that same question about every team in the NFL right now and it'd be split. 

Look around the league and the Bills and Eagles look like the two most dominant teams in each conference...  but the Eagles have issues scoring points in the 2nd half of games (showed up last night again where they let Dallas claw back into the game after being ahead 20-3 at half).  And the Bills started hot, lost to Miami, and needed to comeback against both the Ravens and Chiefs to win.  Both teams have looked more bearable in recent weeks.

The rest?  The 49ers have looked dominant at times, but they just lost to Atlanta and lost to the Bears...  Bucs lost to the Steelers who look terrible.  Rams and Packers have major issues on offense and their defenses aren't as dominant as many expected.  The Giants are 5-1...  Jets are 4-2...  Dallas is 4-2 with a backup QB...  But are they good? 

We'll find out in the next month or so which teams are legit and which are pretenders...  

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I think the answer is yes, we're a good team. But you could ask that same question about every team in the NFL right now and it'd be split. 

Look around the league and the Bills and Eagles look like the two most dominant teams in each conference...  but the Eagles have issues scoring points in the 2nd half of games (showed up last night again where they let Dallas claw back into the game after being ahead 20-3 at half).  And the Bills started hot, lost to Miami, and needed to comeback against both the Ravens and Chiefs to win.  Both teams have looked more bearable in recent weeks.

The rest?  The 49ers have looked dominant at times, but they just lost to Atlanta and lost to the Bears...  Bucs lost to the Steelers who look terrible.  Rams and Packers have major issues on offense and their defenses aren't as dominant as many expected.  The Giants are 5-1...  Jets are 4-2...  Dallas is 4-2 with a backup QB...  But are they good? 

We'll find out in the next month or so which teams are legit and which are pretenders...  

Agree....I made a similar point in another thread. Dominance in the NFL is a thing of the past. 

I just want to start seeing some of these flashes of brilliance stack together a little bit. I think it was against the Saints we came out and executed a flawless drive and scored right away. It didn't continue, but it did the next week against the Bears. We put together three great drives. It looked we were starting to stack some good things together. 

Then we come out in Miami and can't move the ball--against the 30th ranked pass defense. Took a long time to pull things together. That's to be expected I guess with new schemes, but if you were to ask me if the playoffs started tomorrow, would you rather take last year's 8-9 team or this year's 5-1 team, I'd choose last year's. I think that was a better team, but really only because Kirk had been running that offense for years and knew it inside and out. 

But if the question is which team would you want at this very point in the season and the playoffs are 11 weeks away, it's definitely this year's team. The hope for improvement is high. And justified. 

Agreed, I would put Bills and Eagles as the top 2 teams in the league and I'd rank Bills #1 as they have Allen and not Hurts @ QB. 

KC is a very close 1a imo

We'll see how the war of attrition plays out and who gets hot when the weather gets cold. 

Bills/Cheifs in a pick em for #1
Eagles #3
Probably Vikings, Dallas, 49ers, Giants, Chargers, Ravens and Bucs in some sort of order. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
Bills/Cheifs in a pick em for #1
Eagles #3
Probably Vikings, Dallas, 49ers, Giants, Chargers, Ravens and Bucs in some sort of order. 
Do we need to start considering the Jets in this discussion???