Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc Thoughts: Saints
Quick post as work beckons:
  • Stat of the day: The Vikings are 3-1 this season, their best record after four games since Cousins joined the team in 2018.  I am looking forward to these team getting better throughout the season and very happy with the start.  Over the past few years, it has been crushing watching the Vikings not really improving as the season progressed -- very hopeful that this season will be different.
  • Concerning Themes:  (a) Irv Smith and (b) Dline pressure on opposing QB.  We have been making excuses for both of these themes such as playing against some of the best offensive lines in the NFL or slow recovery from missing last season.  But these concerns grow with each game.
  • Special Teams:  I have to say I had a lot of concerns about our special team play (except for Kene) entering the season.  But I am incredibly impressed by special teams so far -- even with some missed kicks.
  • Offensive Line:  Bit of a difficult game but I see improvement in the cohesion of the line.  I think by the end of the season they could be a top 10 line.  By then, the coaching staff should know what they do best which should improve the run game.  I would like to see more Ham as I don't think the TEs are cutting it as blockers.  Overall, I think the TEs may be the most disappointing position group on the team.  One tidbit I just picked up: After struggling in pass protection early on, Ingram has shown improvements in that area. Per PFF, Ingram had a grade of 2.6 in 15 true pass sets in week one and that number grew exponentially to 72.2 on 19 true pass set reps. Being able to count on Ingram at right guard is huge for the Vikings moving forward.
  • Defensive Line: Somehow the coaching staff has found a way to neutralize Hunter's rush.  I am guessing his head is swimming with his new responsibilities which are impacting his instinct.  But, boy, does he know how to set the edge.  Dalvin Tomlinson led the the defense with an 89.8 PFF grade, largely due to his team best 91.7 passing rushing score. He led the Vikings by generating three pressures: 1 sack, 1 hit and 1 hurry.  
  • Commentators:  I really wish the commentators didn't cater to the casual fan and occasionally gave some real football insight.  At a minimum, I would like to know more about the Vikings player rotations as it seems like the coaching staff is reaching deeper into the bench during the game.  Here is what I dug up: The edge rushers were rotated out with some effectiveness. Danielle Hunter played in 85% of the snaps and Za’Darius Smith with his knee injury only played in 40% with 25 snaps. D.J. Wonnum stepped up in his place with a 70% snap share at 42 snaps.

I think this team is a couple seasons away of re-building the D b4 they are elite. 

Doesnt mean they can't be entertaining, make the playoff's or win the Norris in the meantime.

But they aint in the Eagles or 49'ers class yet. 

Some good points, VO.

I would add, the Vikings need to figure out their running game.  It hasn't been bad, but we are severely lacking in explosive runs.  Jalen Raegor has our longest run of the season at 17 yards. Dalvin is next with a long run of 16 yards.  If we can start running the ball better, it'll really help the offense by staying in favorable down and distances more often than not. The offense sputtered against the Saints, Detroit, and Philly by having way too many 3rd and longs.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
Some good points, VO.

I would add, the Vikings need to figure out their running game.  It hasn't been bad, but we are severely lacking in explosive runs.  Jalen Raegor has our longest run of the season at 17 yards. Dalvin is next with a long run of 16 yards.  If we can start running the ball better, it'll really help the offense by staying in favorable down and distances more often than not. The offense sputtered against the Saints, Detroit, and Philly by having way too many 3rd and longs.
And stopping the run. IF they don't figure that part out all these games will be interesting.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
Some good points, VO.

Our backs ran for about 30 against Philly after Detroit ran for 181 against them. We fared a little better against the Lions, rushing for 120, but the lowly Seahawks ran for 230 against them the following week. 

There's no doubt the talent at RB is there. And we obviously have some pretty good run blocking linemen. It's got be a sync issue, or a scheme issue or a rhythm issue. 

They should get back on track Sunday against the Bears, who rank dead last in run defense. 

The O-line play wasn't great against the Saints overall. But they will continue to gel and improve. That alone will be a boost to the run and passing game as the season progresses.
The combination of soft coverage and a lack of pressure has been a persistent concern. Not sure how they can clean that up. Zadarius is banged up now, so that doesn't help. But we are starting to see other defensive players stepping up. Tomlinson had a nice game last week.
Good post Oracle.

Quote:  
  • Offensive Line:  Bit of a difficult game but I see improvement in the cohesion of the line.  I think by the end of the season they could be a top 10 line.  By then, the coaching staff should know what they do best which should improve the run game.  I would like to see more Ham as I don't think the TEs are cutting it as blockers.  Overall, I think the TEs may be the most disappointing position group on the team.  One tidbit I just picked up: After struggling in pass protection early on, Ingram has shown improvements in that area. Per PFF, Ingram had a grade of 2.6 in 15 true pass sets in week one and that number grew exponentially to 72.2 on 19 true pass set reps. Being able to count on Ingram at right guard is huge for the Vikings moving forward.
  •  
 The Vikings Oline  and Cousins struggle and are  beatble versus the blitz.

Somewhere between the pass protection and Cousins delivering a strike it gets fucked up.