Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Thielen done?
Hasn't done much of anything through two games and didn't catch anything until late last night. 32 years old and has been dinged the last couple seasons. Is Cousins force feeding Jefferson or has Thielen lost a step and just not as affective as he once was? My fear is the latter and one of the reasons I thought it wouldn't have been a bad idea to draft a receiver early last April. I really hope they can continue to incorporate Reagor into the game plan because his speed is going to be needed to keep defenses honest 

I would need to see the coaches tape,  but to me it seems that Cousins is locking onto JJ more and more and isnt getting around to finding his 2nd or 3rd options as he is holding on  and then looking for the dump off to a RB or TE just before he gets smoked.

I haven't focused on Thielen much, but when he's been targeted, he looks like the same guy.  The one thing I've noticed is it seems like he's running more routes to clear room for others which is a change from years past when he was sharing the primary looks with Jefferson.

My biggest complaint thru the first two games is it seems like Cook and Thielen are more of an afterthought in the offense and everything is centered around Jefferson early until we're forced to go other directions. 

Look it up...  Thielen has 11 targets thru 2 games and 10 of those have come in the 3rd or 4th quarter.  Dalvin Cook is averaging 13 rushing attempts per game...  I'll stop right there.

Looks like the same guy to me. I tend to think all three of our receivers could play the JJ role, the movement role. Maybe it's time to switch it up like a shell game. Different guy every game...then in the playoffs, different guy every quarter. I'm sure there's something fundamentally wrong with this, but I'm not smart enough to know what it is. 

When Oconnel took the blame i thought that was bullshit, still think it was primarily the D. If i wanted to place blame on the HC, it was that they forced the ball to JJ against Slay, who had one helluva game. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I would need to see the coaches tape,  but to me it seems that Cousins is locking onto JJ more and more and isnt getting around to finding his 2nd or 3rd options as he is holding on  and then looking for the dump off to a RB or TE just before he gets smoked.
I'd be curious to see the tape too and see if his lack of consistent targets is more of a scheme thing or if he's lost a step and not separating? He's just at that age though along with AJ Green and Julio Jones where they just aren't the players they once were. Very curious to see how things go with him moving forward. 

Cousins seemed to be locking on the his first read and that was it, not sure how many times they showed another WR open downfield that he never looked at. It is amazing how different of a QB he can look like from game to game. Thielen definitely is not getting many looks.  

The other teams defense was pretty darn good last night.  They were right in on almost every pass play.  This was a game that we could afford zero mistakes like dropped passes or not continuing a route.  Even with a perfect offense our defense was overmatched but somehow managed to pitch a shutout for the second half.

I don’t think I have enough information to make any
conclusions about Thielen.

My take is this:  Game
1:  We just forcefed Jefferson, and never
had to deviate from that plan.  Game
2:  Their defense played differently than
we were expecting and Cousins doesn’t really have enough grasp of the offense
to deal with it well yet.  I imagine that
at some point in the future, our offense will have gelled a little bit more to
be able to adjust better in the moment.

I think his skillset should age gracefully though, so I’d be
surprised if he’s toast already.

After Week #1 there was a 0% chance the Eagles were gonna let JJ beat them ,at home, on MNF.