Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Managing Expectations
As a long time, diehard Viking fan like all of us on this site regularly it is difficult to manage expectations.  But as many of us have indicated prior to the season we have a whole new coaching staff with new schemes on both sides of the ball and about 8 new starters/players from what we started last year - mostly on D of course.  There is going to be a learning curve and a lot of mistakes throughout the season especially (hopefully) more in the early season.  The key is to get better as the season progresses. 

Last night was another embarrassing performance on MNF and in my home team area of the worst fans in all of sports - Iggles! 

I did not expect the shite show we saw last night just like I did not expect a masterpiece last week.  In a way they even out.  We did not make many mistakes last week at all and then this week we made up for it. JJ cutting off his inside route for a TD was big and nothing was more impactful than every year breakout player Smith dropping a TD.  Also, the last Int that should have been an INT the play before shouldn't Kirk have thrown both of those balls to the back pile on for JJ, isn't that what QB's automatically do when someone is covered and you let a WR like JJ make a play on the ball?  Kirk did not play well but we had zero rythme but that happens when you can't run the ball and your WR's aren't getting open or dropping the ball or running poor routes.  

The D was a seive.  But we did shut them out in the second half so we made some adjustments that worked.  We could have clawed back into the game but it certainly didn't feel like a game we ever had a shot in winning.

Oh well, learning experience early in the year.

Now let's build off it and improve execution on all sides and move forward to building a playoff caliber team.  

It's always hard to do. Early in the season, a team can look decent to shit in a week's time. And then vice versa. The NFL is unique in that each Sunday's games are a major event for fans. Lots of emphasis gets placed on each contest. Tons of build up until kickoff and then emotions run high. Overreaction is always right there, one way or the other. Then another 6 days to get back some optimism or for the already optimistic, to get even more so. 

They looked bad last night. Bitter taste left. 

One thing we all knew, and even advocated for, was Cousins throwing more interceptions. OK, not the picks necessarily, but definitely being much less risk averse. Well that's what we got. In the same offense, KOC wanted Stafford to do the same. As a result, he threw a ton of picks and the team was soundly beaten a few of times. But I think they were happy with the end result. 

On a related note, I saw the stats and the score long before I saw the game. I thought shit, Bad Kirk is back. But this was not the Cousins we saw against Cleveland last year. In between picks, he threw several rockets and dimes. In fact, it might have been the most intense I've ever seen him, for better or worse.

By that I mean this could bode well or it could blow up in our face. We'll see if KOC can even him out like he did with Stafford. 

There's losing games and there are games where you lose like this...Vike fans have all the right in the world to be disappointed today. 

Players should be disappointed in themselves and the coaches should be too. A really poor showing all around  

I can't get the Who song "Won’t Get Fooled Again" out of my head this morning; especially this part:Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
There's losing games and there are games where you lose like this...Vike fans have all the right in the world to be disappointed today. 

Players should be disappointed in themselves and the coaches should be too. A really poor showing all around  
Definitely disappointed.  That was the same old same old but I think we have the young fresh coaching staff to learn and build.  

Now on to learning from some of the many mistakes and improve for next game.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
https://twitter.com/WillRagatz/status/15...8596144128
I'll bet if we looked at Dalvin Cooks stats ytd we'd be surprised.  I cant help but wonder if:

1). Are we running the ball enough? I think it was pretty good mix vs GB
2). Are we running it well? 

I think the offense needs to evolve...  first two weeks it's force feed JJ early and let Dalvin and the others take a backseat.

O'Connell needs to remember that we have other playmakers on this team to make the offense more dangerous.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I think the offense needs to evolve...  first two weeks it's force feed JJ early and let Dalvin and the others take a backseat.

O'Connell needs to remember that we have other playmakers on this team to make the offense more dangerous.
Wonder how Thielen is feeling right now...