Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting read on the Russ Wilson-Seattle Seahawks breakup
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3453...ncos-trade

It can happen. Brady left New England. Favre left Green Bay, etc. 

IMO, Wilson has always been a me-first guy.  This article seems to confirm that.  His desire to be the MVP, to be mentioned with the greats comes off wrong.  That desire isn't wrong, but putting it above winning, above the team is.  

And his strength has been escaping the pocket and making plays with his legs.  Not just scrambling, but getting outside where he can see and make throws.  Once that goes, his value declines.  He isn't big enough to be a proto pocket passer, especially without a strong interior line.  Seattle traded their stud center Unger to NO for that fancy TE (forget his name) and it was a bad move.  Their ability to run and to open throwing lanes inside went away.  

So Seattle hasn't given Wilson a great team to work with, but he also complains too much and focuses on his glory rather than the team.

But, that all makes me happy, I hate the seachickens and their bandwagon fans.

Quote: @greediron said:
IMO, Wilson has always been a me-first guy.  This article seems to confirm that.  His desire to be the MVP, to be mentioned with the greats comes off wrong.  That desire isn't wrong, but putting it above winning, above the team is.  

And his strength has been escaping the pocket and making plays with his legs.  Not just scrambling, but getting outside where he can see and make throws.  Once that goes, his value declines.  He isn't big enough to be a proto pocket passer, especially without a strong interior line.  Seattle traded their stud center Unger to NO for that fancy TE (forget his name) and it was a bad move.  Their ability to run and to open throwing lanes inside went away.  

So Seattle hasn't given Wilson a great team to work with, but he also complains too much and focuses on his glory rather than the team.

At the bold: Jimmy Graham

Quote: @mblack said:
@greediron said:

Thank you.  Yes, he made such an impact that I couldn't remember his name.

Quote: @mblack said:
@greediron said:

Who only played one season with the Seahawks...another example of a waste...

I think this is a new strategy available for elite QBs.  They only have a fixed amount of time in
their prime.  The longer they are on a
team the more it hinders the teams ability to put a good supporting cast around
them.  What’s the solution?  Make a stink and get traded to a team that
has good cap space and provides you with the money you want without sacrificing
your championship aspirations.  The team
can go out and get tons of free agents and put together a solid 3-4 year run, before
things get bloated and the QB moves on to the next team.

Quote: @medaille said:
I think this is a new strategy available for elite QBs.  They only have a fixed amount of time in
can go out and get tons of free agents and put together a solid 3-4 year run, before
This is definitely a good point and a problematic situation for teams with strong QBs as their contracts continue to dominate the salary cap. It instills volatility into the tenure period of that QB to win a Super Bowl because of cap implications and how the supporting cast is impacted by it. 

Quote: @medaille said:
Yes, like Stafford/Rams did last year.  Not looking up now but I think Staffords cap hit last year was less then half of Cousin's.  Only one year but still the Rams prove your point as does the Brady/Buccs before that.  The Bengals are trying to do it the old fashion way - draft a franchise QB and build.  I think you start with the old fashion way and when it doesn't seem to be working after year 3 then you can "try" the Brady/Stafford rental approach.  But that has to line up because a Brady/Stafford on the cheap deal does not open up every year but maybe every 4- or 5-years tops.   

Quote: @minny65 said:
@medaille said:
Yes, like Stafford/Rams did last year.  Not looking up now but I think Staffords cap hit last year was less then half of Cousin's.  Only one year but still the Rams prove your point as does the Brady/Buccs before that.  The Bengals are trying to do it the old fashion way - draft a franchise QB and build.  I think you start with the old fashion way and when it doesn't seem to be working after year 3 then you can "try" the Brady/Stafford rental approach.  But that has to line up because a Brady/Stafford on the cheap deal does not open up every year but maybe every 4- or 5-years tops.   
Broncos/Manning
Bucs/Brady
Rams/Stafford
…. Broncos/Wilson????

Despite the fact, he is the most sacked QB in the last 9 years, I truly have never seen him take a hit. First time I saw him I said this is the reincarnation of Fran Tarkenton. But the strength of that team has always come from their defense. Never the less, he has had terrible offensive lines and performed well despite that.
Not sure they will have the team surrounding him to go to the superbowl; but I believe they will be a challenge to face.