Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins article about perception
https://sports.yahoo.com/your-kirk-cousi...15003.html

Yep, pretty much this for 50% of the Viking's fanbase. 

Cousins knows it.
“The next level really is all about winning,” Cousins said in 2019, according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “I’m pretty much a .500 quarterback in my career so far, and I don’t think that’s where you want to be, and that’s not why you are brought in or people are excited about you. If I don’t play well, if I don’t have gaudy statistics, but we win multiple playoffs games, the narrative will be I went to the next level.”
Since that quote, Cousins is 1-1 in the playoffs, never advancing past the divisional round. At least he understands that, to many, going beyond that is the only way he'll break the narrative that he hasn't escaped yet.

I don't know about the mantra that he has to win a SB?
The bar has always been could they win a SB and I was always very supportive of Kirk being able to do that up until last year.  I really question if he can win us a SB and carry the team through a playoff push and a SB victory.  I do see him as very similar to Stafford last year, but I am not convinced that Kirk would have beat the Bengals.  Stafford has a much better pocket presence and can make off script plays and avoid pressure much better than Kirk.
I was one of the 68% that would have wanted us to trade Kirk but that did not happen, so I am fully in on him now.
I also don't think it is solely incumbent on Kirk to get us to and win us a SB.  I think this team has playoff potential, but I have to watch the development with all the new pieces and how Kirk leads the team.  If things go well and we get into the playoffs and Kirk looks good and we win a playoff game or two, then I can easily be back on the Kirk SB bandwagon.  But if Kirk puts up gaudy stats as usual and we are 9-8 then an 11-year trend continues, and I am ready to move on...again.  

From a national media narrative, this is true. For sure.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
From a national media narrative, this is true. For sure.
Yea, for sure

I definitely think Cousins can win a Super Bowl but a lot of things have to go their way. 

In my opinion, Cousins has to win a Super Bowl. He isn’t the first great QB to have to deal with the erroneous nonsense about w/l defining a QB. W/L is on the coaches and GM if the QB is performing well and doing his part. Yet someone like Zimmer will always try to pass the buck. It’s not fair, but it’s the NFL. 
Aaron Rodgers is beyond fortunate he won a Super Bowl early. Had he not, he’d be getting it as bad or worse than Cousins. I remember when Drew Brees was “too small” and didn’t have a strong enough arm. He was just a stat guy too. Dak to Dallas fans is often looked at as Cousins is. It’s not rational, but what do you do? 
Like I said, it’s Super Bowl or bust for Cousins. Otherwise he’ll continue to be the Rodney Dangerfield of the NFL.

Just think about all the QBs who haven't won a Super Bowl.  Fran Tarkenton and Jim Kelly multiple times, Boomer Esiason and Dan Marino once, but they all at least got there.  Kenny Anderson, Jim Hart, Dan Fouts, Bert Jones, Bernie Kosar, Brian Sipe, to name a few.  Nobody would mistake Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson as great QBs but they have won a Super Bowl.  Tough spot for sure.

IMO KC has won us more games than he's lost for us...But that cloud is there till it aint. Same thing for head coaches. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
IMO KC has won us more games than he's lost for us...But that cloud is there till it aint. Same thing for head coaches. 
He has won more games than lost for sure.....this tag came with him from Washington. He's been clutch and made some great throws as a Viking. 

I think he has improved over time with the Vikings, but has been hampered by a less than average offensive line, and more recently a lack of defensive and sometimes special teams support. It goes without saying that having a new offensive coordinator and a head coach with a less than innovative offensive philosophy have been a hinderance. I don't think a superbowl win will come from improvement in play from Cousins as much as improvement in the over all team. In theory, it appears that improvement has occurred on paper and we shall soon see if it is reality or mirage. Kirk Cousins is what he is, but that is enough to win a superbowl. Can't wait to find out.