Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pass Protection and the offensive line
Re-watching the game from last night, I have to wonder, just how much of our OL woes from the last few years was the failure of our RB's to consistently recognize and pickup blitzers and/or free runners on the pass rush.  Watching Cook stone a few guys last night and gave Bradford more time seemed to be a huge difference.  Don't get me wrong, the turnstile tackles we had previously didn't help much either, but how many times did you see the free runner flying at our QB and the RB no where to be found?  It seemed that not only could Cook block well, but he seemed to recognize it much better and be in the right position.  Thoughts?

With the way the O-line did blocking for the RBs last year, you think the RBs wanted to help them pass block? 

Seriously tho, Asiata was a good pass blocker.  And with the things Zim said about the tackles they signed, I would go with the consistency theory.  Our current line may not be 5 all-pros, but they are consistent and therefore the coaches can scheme to help them when needed.  So the RBs have a plan of who they need to help based on the protection called.

Last year it was jail break city and the RBs had no idea who was going to fail.  And since they were so inconsistent, it was tough to predict where the RB was going to be needed.

Quote: @greediron said:

Last year it was jail break city and the RBs had no idea who was going to fail.  And since they were so inconsistent, it was tough to predict where the RB was going to be needed.
I was about to say pretty much the same thing, until I saw you already posted it. It did seem like the protection in the middle was so solid that the backs knew the leaks, if they came, would come from the outside. And so they were better prepared for it. Very impressed with the Easton, Elflein, Berger combo. 

So who did Sirles replace for a short time.  Announcer said he replaced Easton at RG?  So which was it?  I figured it was Berger getting dinged.

Quote: @greediron said:
So who did Sirles replace for a short time.  Announcer said he replaced Easton at RG?  So which was it?  I figured it was Berger getting dinged.
Pretty sure they called it out wrong.  Sirles was lined up on the right, and I think it was Berger he was replacing. 

per Coller from 1500ESPN it was Easton who sat out two snaps and I did recognize #75 instead of #62 lining up at left guard once.