Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weakness to strength in record time?
Very interesting. Let's say Ingram pans out at RG this year. And say the Viking's draft a center next year, just for shits and gigs lets say Patterson of Notre Dame. 

Darrisaw LT (24 years old at beginning of next season) - Cleveland LG (25 years old at BONS) - Rookie Patterson - Ingram RG (24 years old BONS) - O'Neill RT (Will turn 27 years old on Sept. 15th of next year). That's a hell of a line with many yet to hit their prime. Could be outhouse to the penthouse in this department. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Very interesting. Let's say Ingram pans out at RG this year. And say the Viking's draft a center next year, just for shits and gigs lets say Patterson of Notre Dame. 

Darrisaw LT (24 years old at beginning of next season) - Cleveland LG (25 years old at BONS) - Rookie Patterson - Ingram RG (24 years old BONS) - O'Neill RT (Will turn 27 years old on Sept. 15th of next year). That's a hell of a line with many yet to hit their prime. Could be outhouse to the penthouse in this department. 
Not sure I would know how to act if the Vikes actually had a top OL. It's been awhile hasn't it? 

I think I like your idea of signing Elgton Jenkins better. Just never know what you're going to get in the draft. It'll be 2024 before we need to worry about Cleveland's contract. Even longer for Darrisaw and Ingram. If we do draft one, 2nd round might be the better route. That's where McCoy and Jenkins went. Plus, we can save that 1st rounder for an edge, a LB or maybe even a QB. 

If Ingram pans out, you sign Jenkins and draft a QB in the first.  A young QB behind a very good and still young OL with weapons at WR and RB keeps you cap flexible in 24, 25, etc.  Extends the window

Quote: @Skodin said:
If Ingram pans out, you sign Jenkins and draft a QB in the first.  A young QB behind a very good and still young OL with weapons at WR and RB keeps you cap flexible in 24, 25, etc.  Extends the window
[Image: 200.gif]

"This offseason is the year we're finally gonna fix the O-line baby!"- Vikings fans for the past 5 years.
I'm only half-joking and I do agree we might finally--maybe-- actually be close to doing it. Charlie Brown is gonna connect with that football one of these years, right? It will be painfully ironic if the O-line gets good right as Kirk is exiting stage left. I'm not the biggest Kirk fan in the world but even I would like to see what he can do with a solid OL. Hopefully it comes together for him and for us THIS year versus waiting until 2023.

Moving up in the draft to get a QB would now have a realistic chance to succeed.

I don’t know if I’d call it “record time”, we’ve been
investing day 1 and 2 picks into it for several years.  Most teams are getting better OLine production
with less draft capital.  It’s really
hard to ignore the Spielman/Zimmer issue of always having a couple of
catastrophic weaknesses on the OLine, and the Spielman issue of replacing his better
linemen, while ignoring his horrible ones. 
That said the offense has been producing, so I can’t be too critical.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
"This offseason is the year we're finally gonna fix the O-line baby!"- Vikings fans for the past 5 years.
I'm only half-joking and I do agree we might finally--maybe-- actually be close to doing it. Charlie Brown is gonna connect with that football one of these years, right? It will be painfully ironic if the O-line gets good right as Kirk is exiting stage left. I'm not the biggest Kirk fan in the world but even I would like to see what he can do with a solid OL. Hopefully it comes together for him and for us THIS year versus waiting until 2023.
I find it funny that you think Kirk is exiting. I think he retires a Viking. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@pattersaur said:
I find it funny that you think Kirk is exiting. I think he retires a Viking. 
I don’t think he’s exiting soon but I don’t think he’s retiring here either. Most likely outcome is he’s here for 3-4 more years then goes somewhere else and gets put out to pasture. They all do.