Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does the Soldier Field turf suck so bad?
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bears...en-better/

Seriously. Its not rocket science and there are so many natural turf geniuses out there. How is this still happening anywhere?

They have a heated field with an extensive drainage system under it,  its difficult  to have a natural surface that will play like a synthetic surface,   especially when you need to have all that plumbing under it,  which makes it very unnatural.  Also they have been notorious for using their turf conditions to take away opposing teams strengths,  sometimes they will make their field a little wetter or let the grass grow longer to slow faster teams down, and we have seek it be effective for them in the past.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
They have a heated field with an extensive drainage system under it,  its difficult  to have a natural surface that will play like a synthetic surface,   especially when you need to have all that plumbing under it,  which makes it very unnatural.  Also they have been notorious for using their turf conditions to take away opposing teams strengths,  sometimes they will make their field a little wetter or let the grass grow longer to slow faster teams down, and we have seek it be effective for them in the past.
Every team in the NFL has speed today. That may have made a difference 20 years ago, but not now. Its just weird.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Every team in the NFL has speed today. That may have made a difference 20 years ago, but not now. Its just weird.
I help coach our schools cross country team. Taller grass (even just by a little) will absolutely effect speed. 

What I dont know is how this would be an advantage for the bears?  Its tall for them as well.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I help coach our schools cross country team. Taller grass (even just by a little) will absolutely effect speed. 

What I dont know is how this would be an advantage for the bears?  Its tall for them as well.
That's my point by saying every team has speed now.....including the Bears. 20-25 years ago there weren't as wide spread of speed as there is in today's NFL. I mean, they had Devin Hester. So they kept the grass long to slow him down? It doesn't make sense. Honestly, I think that is mostly media created.

@AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

That's my point by saying every team has speed now.....including the Bears. 20-25 years ago there weren't as wide spread of speed as there is in today's NFL. I mean, they had Devin Hester. So they kept the grass long to slow him down? It doesn't make sense. Honestly, I think that is mostly media created.

Yeah, I don't even get the idea the Lamb-blow field is a benefit to the Packers late in the year.  Its cold for everyone.  The advantage would go to whomever can run the ball and control the trenches.

Otherwise, its just the normal home field advantage that nearly every team has because they don't have travel dates and screaming fans.

As someone who lived in Chicago for a very long time -- the issue is that the stadium is owned by the Chicago Park District.  They maintain the stadium and the field.  They are as corrupt and incompetent as most government agencies in Chicago.  Budgets are "adjusted" in the political process and mismanaged.  I honestly don't think the field conditions are or ever were purposeful -- it was just incompetence.

I also think it is funny to call Soldier Field a "beacon of history" and the "oldest stadium in the NFL''.  Though technically true, when the stadium was re-done, everything but the famed columns in front of the stadium were destroyed and a "modern" stadium was built into the footprint.  The result was atrocious aesthetically -- it looks like an alien ship landed on the old place.

@JimmyinSD said:
the bears know what cleats to use for the track that the grounds crew has prepared for the day... the opposing teams play catch up.  I know this sounds like BS, but if you pay attention to the broadcasts its quite often that you see the opposing teams having footing issues that the bears players seem prepared for,  you will also see players switching shoes/cleats during the game to try and find a better match for their running/playing style towards how the field is playing.   its a game they played 20 years ago and still play today with their field.  I know I recall them making the field super wet in an effort take away ADs power and jump cuts that made him so dangerous.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
the bears know what cleats to use for the track that the grounds crew has prepared for the day... the opposing teams play catch up.  I know this sounds like BS, but if you pay attention to the broadcasts its quite often that you see the opposing teams having footing issues that the bears players seem prepared for,  you will also see players switching shoes/cleats during the game to try and find a better match for their running/playing style towards how the field is playing.   its a game they played 20 years ago and still play today with their field.  I know I recall them making the field super wet in an effort take away ADs power and jump cuts that made him so dangerous.
yep.  If one team is prepared for the conditions and the other has to adjust, that is a big advantage.  And if the field has varying conditions in different locations, the home team knows where the solid footing is.  Not saying they went to this extent, but it can happen.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Yeah, I don't even get the idea the Lamb-blow field is a benefit to the Packers late in the year.  Its cold for everyone.  The advantage would go to whomever can run the ball and control the trenches.

Otherwise, its just the normal home field advantage that nearly every team has because they don't have travel dates and screaming fans.
LOL, just like the heat of texas, the humidity of the gulf,  or the cold of the north... you can get acclimated,  so yes,  even though its cold for both teams,  preparing and living in a damp cold great lakes environment will have less of an effect on the home team than it would on a visiting team, especially psychologically.   also their turf conditioning system intentionally gets screwed with at times I think.  there are specific ways to run those things to protect the turf and avoid some of the issues that we have seen,  and for some unknown reason the field conditions in gbay seem to still be shitty at times in the winter,  they were the first to get a system over 25 years ago and sure as hell should have it figured out by now.