Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joseph 'in the zone' with booming kicks

I liked the signing last year. The two places where he'd been previously, his percentage was really good, with a handful of clutch kicks. But in Cleveland he lost out to a drafted kicker and then in Tennessee when they brought in Gostkowski. The life of a kicker I guess. Don't unpack. 

But kicking is such mental thing. If we were getting raves from position players, you'd expect it to continue. With kickers, one bad miss and he's in his head again. The next kick is life or death.

I really like that O'Connell's not afraid to talk about it. I think maybe the "don't talk about it" thing encourages the head game. 

Yeah he was definitely booming them last night which is good. It was enjoyable. I heard someone behind me say as long as he does that during the game. There is always that guy. I just enjoyed the moment.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I liked the signing last year. The two places where he'd been previously, his percentage was really good, with a handful of clutch kicks. But in Cleveland he lost out to a drafted kicker and then in Tennessee when they brought in Gostkowski. The life of a kicker I guess. Don't unpack. 

But kicking is such mental thing. If we were getting raves from position players, you'd expect it to continue. With kickers, one bad miss and he's in his head again. The next kick is life or death.

I really like that O'Connell's not afraid to talk about it. I think maybe the "don't talk about it" thing encourages the head game. 
Yeah, I was optimistic when he signed as well.  Seems like a solid kicker.  Don't need to be a million dollar leg with a 10 cent head like Walsh, just consistently make the kicks.

This was from 60 yards....looks like it might have been good from 70. Wow.

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/15578...gr%5Etweet

Quote: @StickyBun said:
This was from 60 yards....looks like it might have been good from 70. Wow.

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/15578...gr%5Etweet
Looks like it. The NFL record is 64 and it was definitely longer than that.