Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glazer: Vikings are going to surprise people this year
https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/155...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Fwhy70q%3Fresponsive%3Dtrueis_nightmode%3Dfalse

I think the O has the weapons,   but like I've said,  how much of a learning curve will KOC have not only calling plays for the first time, but also handling all the HC duties and decisions that come up during a game?

Not to mention the complete new D,  I dont think that the team will suck,  but I think they will struggle at times and as a result likely lose a few games that they shouldn't due to the learning curves that they are facing at so many levels.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I think the O has the weapons,   but like I've said,  how much of a learning curve will KOC have not only calling plays for the first time, but also handling all the HC duties and decisions that come up during a game?

Not to mention the complete new D,  I dont think that the team will suck,  but I think they will struggle at times and as a result likely lose a few games that they shouldn't due to the learning curves that they are facing at so many levels.
Yeah, pretty logical take here Jimmy. I can'd disagree. Hoping they can make the playoffs, but what you mention may just be enough to keep them on the outside looking in. But it will be close, fingers crossed they can figure it out quicker than we think. And the team is a close, veteran bunch so they might surprise like Glazer mentions. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:

Yes, there will be a learning curve....but largely offset by our opponents' lack of a book on us.

A bigger concern for me is three aging stars--Thielen (32), Peterson (32) and Harry (33)--falling off a cliff before their replacements are ready to contribute on a similar level. And QB of course. If Cousins goes down, it's over. Avoid those two calamities and this is a playoff team.

Man, I am hoping we get a couple of good years left from Thielen... He and Jet are such a great One/Two punch. 

Harry and Peterson I dont have as much faith in or hope left in for being starters. Just hoping they buy the kids time to lose their puppy teeth and get some big boy canines. 

Yes, too much time with puppy lately. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Man, I am hoping we get a couple of good years left from Thielen... He and Jet are such a great One/Two punch. 

Harry and Peterson I dont have as much faith in or hope left in for being starters. Just hoping they buy the kids time to lose their puppy teeth and get some big boy canines. 

Couple good years from Thielen might be stretching it, but I think we can expect ONE more. Which would be fantastic considering JJ and KJO are both entering their "breakout" 3rd seasons. In terms of WR, it may not get any better than this year. 3-deep relived?

Speaking of which, we have young pairs set up nicely for the future: JJ and KJO, Darrisaw and O'Neill, Cine and Bynum, Booth and Dantzler. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Couple good years from Thielen might be stretching it, but I think we can expect ONE more. Which would be fantastic considering JJ and KJO are both entering their "breakout" 3rd seasons. In terms of WR, it may not get any better than this year. 3-deep relived?

Speaking of which, we have young pairs set up nicely for the future: JJ and KJO, Darrisaw and O'Neill, Cine and Bynum, Booth and Dantzler. 

Ha truth!

But its the Vikings, we dont get nice things...

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Yep. The weapons are there. I know Bradbury stinks but how many QBs around the league would gladly trade their stout OL and weapons for our OL and elite weapons? I would bet quite a few. Rodgers has a good OL but is throwing to bums, and Fields has a bad OL and is throwing to bums ha. This year really is make or break for Kirk in my eyes. It’s certainly not SB or bust but I want to see a team that gains confidence and improves as the year goes on, a playoff team hopefully, and some comaraderie and leadership in the organization that gives everyone even more hope for 2023. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Ha truth!

But its the Vikings, we dont get nice things...
Dantzler's FA after '23.  If he rocks the next 2 seasons and Booth's what we hope he is, Dantzler will either leave, or get a big extension which will force the Vikings to let Booth go after '26 when his rookie deal and 5th year option are done.  Salary cap economics dictates you don't get 10-year tandems anymore.  Oh well, Dantzler/Booth 23-26 could be sweet while it lasts.

As for Thielen, in '23 his cap hit goes up to $19 million, but $13 million dead money to cut/trade him, so they might ask him for a straight pay cut.  As is, his '24 cap hit is $21 million and there's no way they're keeping him around at that number.

I don’t really see Smith, Thielen, or Peterson falling off a
cliff.  They are far too technical for it
to just fall apart once they lose their peak athleticism.  I think they’re all in that category of aging
gracefully where you get solid, but non-peak performance for several
years.  I think it’s more likely that you
run into issues where it’s hard to justify their salary and they won’t take
less here and end up getting one year somewhere else before settling into that
reduced salary/production role.