Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cowherd High
...on Vikings. 

A couple weeks ago he said the Vikings would double their win total this year. Probably not realizing they won 8 games last year and double would mean a 16-1 season, he clarified this week. "Vikings will go 14-3, win the division and should be the number one choice to bet the over this season."

He is usually very favorable on the Vikes, I will go with his original prediction!  He lives nearby and I see him out, he seems like a really nice guy and great family man, treats everyone especially nice.  I've also seen Steven A Smith several times, nothing like his tv personality, seen him go out of his way to help an elderly lady in a wheel chair.  

I've been conducting some business with a local Vikings HOF'er and inevitably the conversation turns to football...

Asked him what he thought about the new regime and this upcoming season:

Loves KOC and KAM met with them personally a # of times, been on Zoom's with them even more...Thinks they are smart, thoughtful, progressive and courageous 

As far as his prognostication for this season? It's a crapshoot and anyones guess.

I would agree with that - who the heck knows what'll happen?

I can say though that as a fan, I'm looking forward to this year more than I have for a season in some time.

Hope it's a fun ride in 22/23!!!

Lol. He is definitely high with that ridiculous prediction with a new coaching staff. 

Cowherd has always liked the talent on the Viking's roster. He's been critical of Cousins at times. He also likes the new coaching staff.

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
Lol. He is definitely high with that ridiculous prediction with a new coaching staff. 
My only fear with the new coaching staff is that they don't recognize if/when Cousins, et al are struggling with the new system and don't adjust by simplifying the reads...at least temporarily until everyone is up and running the new offense smoothly. But they seem like smart guys, so we'll see...  

But out of curiosity, I looked up 1st year HC performances over the last several years....it's not as bad as one might think, especially when you consider most teams with new head coaches were likely very bad teams the year before. Hence the coaching change. 

But out of 80 1st year head coaches between 2008 and 2020, 25 made the playoffs. That's 31%. Not too shabby. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
My only fear with the new coaching staff is that they don't recognize if/when Cousins, et al are struggling with the new system and don't adjust by simplifying the reads...at least temporarily until everyone is up and running the new offense smoothly. But they seem like smart guys, so we'll see...  

But out of curiosity, I looked up 1st year HC performances over the last several years....it's not as bad as one might think, especially when you consider most teams with new head coaches were likely very bad teams the year before. Hence the coaching change. 

But out of 80 1st year head coaches between 2008 and 2020, 25 made the playoffs. That's 31%. Not too shabby. 

Boy, I was hoping the # would be higher than that...It's about what I would have predicted (25%)

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:

Boy, I was hoping the # would be higher than that...It's about what I would have predicted (25%)
Well it's 31%. But that's WAY higher than I thought it would be. Basically a 3rd of all 1st year head coaches make the playoffs. I think that's pretty nuts. And remember we're talking about teams who, in all likelihood, were crap the year before, since good teams rarely fire their coaches. 

@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:

Well it's 31%. But that's WAY higher than I thought it would be. Basically a 3rd of all 1st year head coaches make the playoffs. I think that's pretty nuts. And remember we're talking about teams who, in all likelihood, were crap the year before, since good teams rarely fire their coaches. 

Fair take...

Since I have a little time to kill with my pup napping, lets look at our own franchise year 1's:

Zimsu: 7/9
Frasier: 3/13
Childress: 6/10
Tice: 6/10
Sheriff: 11/5
Burns: 9/7
Grant: 7/9
Steckel: 3/13
Grant: 3/8

Burnsie was able to take a team Grant had on the upswing from the Steckel disaster and improve on it...

Chilly I remember being a disappointment year 1

Zimmer was able to improve on an AWFUL Frasier team. 

Sheriff had the best yr1 record by far

KOC is inheriting a really good offense and a poorly ranked D , will be interesting to see what happens. 

@"Vikergirl" said:

Good thing Game 1 is only against the Green Bay Packers... :p