Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panthers acquire Baker Mayfield for a Frosty and Wendy's Single

The Carolina Panthers are adding a new quarterback to their depth chart, as they are sending a fifth-round pick to the Cleveland Browns for Baker MayfieldAccording to NFL Network, the fifth-round pick can convert to a fourth-rounder based on playing time. The Panthers and Browns will also split the money Mayfield is owed in 2022. 
Money was always an issue in trade negotiations, as Mayfield was due a fully guaranteed $18.85 million in the final year of his rookie deal. Per NFL Network, the Browns will pay Mayfield $10.5 million in 2022 while the Panthers will pay about $5 million. Mayfield also reportedly agreed to take about a $3.5 million pay cut.

Great move by the Panthers.  They only give up, most likely a 4th rounder, and 5 million for a one year try out on Baker.  Baker led the Browns to their first playoff win in over 20years and beat the Steelers twice to do so.  Got zero love from the Browns for doing so and then gutting out an injury riddled season.  I have become a fan of Baker through this process mostly because of the way the Browns screwed around with him.  I now hope that Watson is a bust in Cleveland after his lengthy suspension and Baker can lead the Panthers back to respectability.

thats it?  well good for him.  I hope he goes onto do well for the panthers and the browns slip back into oblivion.

Good for Baker!  Hope he has success in Carolina!  Screw the Browns, hope they fail this year and that Watson is permanently banned from the NFL...

The Panthers traded more to move up for Matt Corral than they did for Baker Mayfield

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...88423?s=20&t=vZbR1W-iB8UBZLyNTscdzw

I wonder if they’ll say Baker’s our guy, or if this will be an open competition in camp with Darnold and maybe even with the rookie. Baker has been much better than Sam up to this point, but has also had much better teams around him. 

Don't think Baker's the guy either. 

I know the NFL has had some recent success with draft picks (Allen, Herbert, Burrow), but I really think the best route to a good QB is the one taken by the Vikings, Bucs, Rams and Broncos.

Don't futz around with draft picks whose hit rate is around 15%, and veterans like Darnold and Baker who may or may not be able to play in this league. Open the vault for a proven veteran. And if you don't have to trade for him (Brady, Cousins), it's like stealing. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
The Panthers traded more to move up for Matt Corral than they did for Baker Mayfield

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...88423?s=20&t=vZbR1W-iB8UBZLyNTscdzw
Wow. They have to hope Baker lights it up. Corral is probably 2 yrs away from being ready and Darnold is Darnold. This is worth a swing for the Panthers.

For anyone keeping score, the Browns in the 2017 draft passed on Mahomes at 10 and then traded their #12 pick to Houston who took Watson and the Browns instead took Jabril Peppers, then the next year they took Baker at #1 (Josh Allen was taken 7), now they have traded 3 #1s for Watson the guy they could have just drafted in 2018 and ended up getting a 5th rounder back for their #1 pick Baker.  And they are unsure if Watson can play.  You could not mess things up that much if you tried!

Carolina in the meantime ends up with the 1st and 3rd picks of the 2018 draft at QB.  

Ok now I am thinking about Wendy's, glad for Baker though.