Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eye opening OL rankings
PFF ranks the NFL's offensive lines.

Viking rank 19th, probably about where they should, but looking this over, what's interesting to me is how little difference there is between the top lines and the bottom ones. 

For example, the Packers rank 5th. Their line consists of...

David Bhaktiari - When healthy, one of the best LTs in the league. But he missed most of last season and he hasn't been able to practice yet this offseason. 
John Runyan - 3rd year, former 6th rounder. League average at very best. 
Josh Myers - 2nd year, former 2nd rounder. 58 PFF grade, lower than Garrett Bradbury.
Royce Newman - 2nd year, former 4th rounder. 55 PFF grade. 
Elgton Jenkins - Very good wherever he plays, but he's best inside. 

So that's top 5?? Wow. Getting the Packer bump obviously. On the other end, the Jags rank 26th. Their line consists of...

Cam Robinson - Former 34th overall pick. Above average, but ascending. 
Ben Bartch - St Johns alum, everyone's favorite sleeper in 2020. He's been OK. League average. 
Luke Fortner - Rookie, but considered by most to be the 2nd best center in the draft. 
Brandon Scherff - 5X Pro Bowler
Jawaan Taylor - Former 35th overall pick. Hasn't been great, but he's still young.

I think more than anything this shows that OL performance is mostly about QB, scheme and continuity, and less about talent or pedigree. And any one of these top or bottom 10 units could reverse their fortunes based on those factors. 

It is eye opening...

Great lines have all 3 and they have at least one good anchor along the line as well. In the case of GB its their LT (or historically has been). Scherff should add much needed experience and physicality for Jax on the field and in the personnel room too. 

You also have to look at bottom vs top 10 units for pass vs run individually. 

I'm still not convinced the scheme helped our OL much the last few seasons - despite run heavy. Maybe its injuries too. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
It is eye opening...

Great lines have all 3 and they have at least one good anchor along the line as well. In the case of GB its their LT (or historically has been). Scherff should add much needed experience and physicality for Jax on the field and in the personnel room too. 

I'm still not convinced the scheme helped our OL much the last few seasons - despite run heavy. Maybe its injuries too. 
I think a large factor is the QBs ability to make the pass rushers adjust their rush by changing their location and set up spot,  something Kirk doesn't do very well.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
It is eye opening...

I think a large factor is the QBs ability to make the pass rushers adjust their rush by changing their location and set up spot,  something Kirk doesn't do very well.
This is 90% of the reason Packer lines rank so well. Their pass blocking grades are very high mostly because of Rodgers movement skills and that he gets rid of the ball quickly. Put an average QB behind them and their line is probably below average. The run grades are already average or below. 

What does this mean for the Vikings? Probably not a lot. Same QB with the same lack of mobility and the same problem holding the ball a little too long. 

However, I think KO's whole idea is to pass more and give Bradbury help with the guards--something you can do with good tackles, which the Vikings now have. The range of outcomes for this Vikings line is very, very wide. 

No matter where Green Bay is ranked, their OL usually manages to step up. I hate them as much as any vikings fan but it is truth. I know they get ref help but they still have talent and execution.

Success of offensive lines is also a result of good coaching.  How many teams can plug in a first year lineman that was taken in the 3rd round or later and have them produce.  The Packers can, because of an injury they can shuffle guys around or take a draft pick and put them into action without skipping a beat.  Last season against the Vikings, the Rams put an UDFA in at left tackle and he held his own.  How often has that happened with the Vikings?

I’d like to see the “gets away with holding rate”, personally… the Packers have to be right there at the top. 

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
No matter where Green Bay is ranked, their OL usually manages to step up. I hate them as much as any vikings fan but it is truth. I know they get ref help but they still have talent and execution.
But it's not the truth. That's my whole point. PFF ranks them 5th. Their OWN grades show that their LG graded 65. That's lower than Cleveland. Their center graded 58, lower than Bradbury. Their RG graded 55, lower than both of those. And this line ranks 5th? 

Now, yes, their run blocking is what drags their grades down, and their pass blocking grades are a little better. But I guarantee you that is mostly about #12. 

I'm just happy the Vikings are now focused more on pass blocking. Think about it. You miss a run block, your back might gain 2 instead of 4, but you miss a pass block, really really bad things happen.