Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thielen Doing Thielen Things

Kinda Carter-esque

His contract is prohibitive after this season but I think AT still has some gas in the tank. So long as his speed doesn't totally fall off a cliff I think his play style is suited to a longer-than-normal WR career. The guy is still a monster in the red zone. Hopefully a restructure after this season to a more manageable amount ($8m/yr?) will keep him in purple for 2-3 more seasons.
Larry Fitz was very washed his final few years but still provided the Cardinals with a locker room presence and some clutch catches. He played til he was 37. Thielen is only 31 so ~3 more years in purple sounds good to me, if he's willing to do it for less.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
His contract is prohibitive after this season but I think AT still has some gas in the tank. So long as his speed doesn't totally fall off a cliff I think his play style is suited to a longer-than-normal WR career. The guy is still a monster in the red zone. Hopefully a restructure after this season to a more manageable amount ($8m/yr?) will keep him in purple for 2-3 more seasons.
Larry Fitz was very washed his final few years but still provided the Cardinals with a locker room presence and some clutch catches. He played til he was 37. Thielen is only 31 so ~3 more years in purple sounds good to me, if he's willing to do it for less.

More importantly, there is not a clear heir apparent behind him talent wise for the #2 spot...

We'll see, maybe one of those kids can develop - if not?  WR becomes a much bigger draft need next year. With the kinda $ they will have to pay JJ, I dont see us making a WR splash in FA anytime soon. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@pattersaur said:

More importantly, there is not a clear heir apparent behind him talent wise for the #2 spot...

We'll see, maybe one of those kids can develop - if not?  WR becomes a much bigger draft need next year. With the kinda $ they will have to pay JJ, I dont see us making a WR splash in FA anytime soon. 

No, absolutely not.

In a perfect world, Cousins will be terrific in KO's offense and we use our '23 1st rounder on a WR instead of a QB. Then we have 5 years of the new WR on a rookie contract.

If not, then you have to hope Thielen can last a couple more years, because that 1st rounder pretty much has to be a QB. And while KJO might be one of the best WR3s in the game, he's probably not a WR2. But hey, you can get good WR2s in the 2nd round. Higgins, Adams, Deebo, AJ, DK...all 2nd rounders. 

Once Thielen's speed drops off the table....and it will at some point because he's 32 in August....he'll be done. His speed is what got him a shot at the NFL and its what makes everything else he does so effective. He's a decent route runner, but he's not great. Guys will be able to stick to him once that speed goes.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Once Thielen's speed drops off the table....and it will at some point because he's 32 in August....he'll be done. His speed is what got him a shot at the NFL and its what makes everything else he does so effective. He's a decent route runner, but he's not great. Guys will be able to stick to him once that speed goes.
hmm, I thought it was his route running and attention to detail.  Kinda like Johnny Randle, he outworks everyone it practice and that translates to dominance on the field.  

Quote: @greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
hmm, I thought it was his route running and attention to detail.  Kinda like Johnny Randle, he outworks everyone it practice and that translates to dominance on the field.  
Theilen is a very good WRer. Good hands, decent route running, etc. Smart. Fiesty competitor. But his 4.45 run in the 40 got him on regional scouts radar. Good size also at almost 6'2", 205 lbs. to go with that speed. Its the main reason he got a tryout with Minnesota and Carolina. That potential upside. Thielen wasn’t invited to the scouting combine in Indianapolis, so he was forced to pay his own way to a regional combine in Chicago. 

Like I said, he's got a lot of good traits but his speed is a big part of his game, unlike most other underdogs. He's a really good athlete. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
Theilen is a very good WRer. Good hands, decent route running, etc. Smart. Fiesty competitor. But his 4.45 run in the 40 got him on regional scouts radar. Good size also at almost 6'2", 205 lbs. to go with that speed. Its the main reason he got a tryout with Minnesota and Carolina. That potential upside. Thielen wasn’t invited to the scouting combine in Indianapolis, so he was forced to pay his own way to a regional combine in Chicago. 

Like I said, he's got a lot of good traits but his speed is a big part of his game, unlike most other underdogs. He's a really good athlete. 
That might be what got him onto actual radars, but most every description I have seen about why he exploded in the NFL attributes to his route running.  The NFL is littered with speed at the WR position.  The bust ratio probably is closely tied to how fast they ran their 40, perhaps unfairly influenced by the Raiders of the 90s.

But Thielen was fast, not burner fast, that got him a chance.  But so are the NFL DBs.  His route running gets him open.

http://nflbreakdowns.com/2017/11/adam-th...-receiver/

and

When I think of Thielen, I think of great route running, a good
first step, and catches everything.  The
defender can’t really tell which way he’s going and then he makes a quick decisive
step before the defender can catch up.