Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Et Tu Sweden?

First Finland and now historically neutral Sweden?

Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson announced her party’s support for the country to apply to join NATO."We Social Democrats consider that the best for Sweden and the Swedish people’s security is that we join NATO. This is a decision that we have made after very careful consideration," Andersson said during a press conference on Sunday.
Andersson noted this decision reverses a stance the country has taken for 200 years, leaving "a political line of security policies that we have had in different shapes and forms."
"For us Social Democrats, the military non-alliance policy has served us well. But our analysis shows that it will not serve us as well in the future," Andersson said. "This is not a decision that we have taken lightly."
The prime minister said the country must "adapt to reality" and make decisions based on the current climate.
"It is very clear that there is a before and after the 24th of February 2022. Europe, Sweden and the Swedish people are living in a new, dangerous reality. The European security order that Sweden has based its security policies on for centuries, that is now under attack,” Andersson said.
This expected announcement follows suit after Finland announced Sunday its decision to apply to join NATO, after both countries have previously refrained from joining for historic and geopolitical reasons.
Earlier on Sunday, Sweden's Social Democratic Party had released a statement on its website saying it has decided the country should work toward a Swedish application to join NATO.
The statement continues to say that the party should, in case the application is granted by NATO, work to state unilateral conditions against the placement of nuclear weapons and permanent bases on Swedish territory.
https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/rus...e43d961f71

So.......join NATO, but not allow any military bases or ICBMs.

what a great deal

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:

what a great deal
My sentiment exactly,   what do these countries bring to the party? 

To me this just looks like new justifications to get American kids killed.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vanguard83 said:

what a great deal
My sentiment exactly,   what do these countries bring to the party? 

To me this just looks like new justifications to get American kids killed.
And take our tax dollars.  All of this is just a major money grab and another step to a one government world.

Shit got real for them real quick. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
Shit got real for them real quick. 
you reap what you sow.   I have a hard time feeling anything for European countries that have spent the last how ever many years looking down at America,  and then want to come running under the umbrella of protection that is largely funded by the American tax payers, and defended by American blood.  I do feel for the people of those countries, but many of them are democracies and have chosen the leaders that have made them vulnerable.

We cant sit back and let China and Russian just roll over smaller nations,  but the rest of the world needs to pull their collective heads out of their asses and start paying their fair share,  in all measures.  Its much easier for them to sit on their high horses and spout social programs for all, when they arent having to pay for their own defense.

They don't look down at the US, don't let your inferiority complex get used to manipulate  you.  They are more concerned about our 200 year experiment in democracy failing.  I am in Germany right now, and I  asked about the price of gas,  about 8 bucks a gallon, the reply was "their not bombing our homes".  Going on a round trip from Hannover, Essen and Munster for 200 bucks, on an ICE train.  Love the mass transit systems.  They are getting hit over here in every way grocery,, energy, security and depending on the US is not high on their list, they are not counting having their bacon saved by any one.  

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
They don't look down at the US, don't let your inferiority complex get used to manipulate  you.  They are more concerned about our 200 year experiment in democracy failing.  I am in Germany right now, and I  asked about the price of gas,  about 8 bucks a gallon, the reply was "their not bombing our homes".  Going on a round trip from Hannover, Essen and Munster for 200 bucks, on an ICE train.  Love the mass transit systems.  They are getting hit over here in every way grocery,, energy, security and depending on the US is not high on their list, they are not counting having their bacon saved by any one.  
Right,  we have heard for years from the "more cultured" like yourself,  how the US is a joke in so many other parts of the world.  We are the joke until somebody pokes those other countries and then suddenly they are awfully fond of the stars and stripes.

Funny you mention Germany.... they arent even funding NATO to their pledged amount. (falling about 25% short of the agreed upon 2% of GDP by 2025, however nothing says they have to wait until then to do so )  Its easy to say they arent depending on the US, when the US is the one picking up the tab for NATO and those eastern European countries are getting the most benefit.

Who's the "we" and who all you hearing from?  From my stand point the US isn't a joke, but you never asked me.  Been working in multinational mfg. since the 80's, Jack Welch became ceo when I started with GE. He's dead and I'm not so I get the last word on the topic.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
Right,  we have heard for years from the "more cultured" like yourself,  how the US is a joke in so many other parts of the world.  We are the joke until somebody pokes those other countries and then suddenly they are awfully fond of the stars and stripes.

Funny you mention Germany.... they arent even funding NATO to their pledged amount. (falling about 25% short of the agreed upon 2% of GDP by 2025, however nothing says they have to wait until then to do so )  Its easy to say they arent depending on the US, when the US is the one picking up the tab for NATO and those eastern European countries are getting the most benefit.

One of the highlights of electing Trump.  Finally someone decided we should make other countries pay their agreed upon rate instead of putting it on the USA charge card.