Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mock Draft: A Plan for the Future
1.12 > 1.20s
Vikings trade down from 12 to the early 20s, netting a 2023 1st rounder and a 2022 4th rounder to fill that gap.  
Vikings have Cousins under contract through 2023. His performance in ’22 is the key to his future and ours. If he does great in this new offense, you keep him and you have two first rounders to maneuver into one of the top receivers in 2023. If he does what he always does: play really well, but not eliminate certain questions, you trade him for picks—likely a 1st, maybe something back.

With three 1st rounders Vikings should still be able to maneuver into one of the top QBs in a pretty good QB class.  

1.20s - Kaiir Elam CB, Florida, 6-1, 191, 4.39. 
Underrated. Terrific in coverage. Played well against Alabama’s receivers. Will have to teach him better pursuit angles when it comes to tackling. But he can cover. 
2.46 - Logan Hall, DT, Edge, 5T, Houston. 6-6, 283, 4.88. 
Enough speed to rush the passer, enough size to hold up inside. Rotates with or replaces Watts.
3.77 - Chad Muma, LB, Wyoming. 6-2, 237, 4.65
3-down LB with few weaknesses. Future starter, but depth behind Hicks and Kendricks where the cupboard is empty.
4.X - Nick Cross, S, Maryland, 6-0, 212, 4.34. 
Best football is ahead of him. 
5.156 - Sean Rhyan, IOL, UCLA, 6-4, 321, 5.25. 
Big powerful guy with terrific athleticism and foot speed to play in a zone. Has experience at guard, tackle and center.
Not enough time this year to know the players much beyond the 4th round. But we should focus on special teams players, high-upside WRs and maybe a kicker to compete with Joseph. 

Not bad, MB. If it went down like this, I wouldn't mind at all. This would indeed be a plan for the future. 

Hard to be mad with this one...A lot of us have an eye to QB next year. 

Sir.....do tell....where is the long snapper in this mock???

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
1.12 > 1.20s
Vikings trade down from 12 to the early 20s, netting a 2023 1st rounder and a 2022 4th rounder to fill that gap.  
Vikings have Cousins under contract through 2023. His performance in ’22 is the key to his future and ours. If he does great in this new offense, you keep him and you have two first rounders to maneuver into one of the top receivers in 2023. If he does what he always does: play really well, but not eliminate certain questions, you trade him for picks—likely a 1st, maybe something back.

With three 1st rounders Vikings should still be able to maneuver into one of the top QBs in a pretty good QB class.  

1.20s - Kaiir Elam CB, Florida, 6-1, 191, 4.39. 
Underrated. Terrific in coverage. Played well against Alabama’s receivers. Will have to teach him better pursuit angles when it comes to tackling. But he can cover. 
2.46 - Logan Hall, DT, Edge, 5T, Houston. 6-6, 283, 4.88. 
Enough speed to rush the passer, enough size to hold up inside. Rotates with or replaces Watts.
3.77 - Chad Muma, LB, Wyoming. 6-2, 237, 4.65
3-down LB with few weaknesses. Future starter, but depth behind Hicks and Kendricks where the cupboard is empty.
4.X - Nick Cross, S, Maryland, 6-0, 212, 4.34. 
Best football is ahead of him. 
5.156 - Sean Rhyan, IOL, UCLA, 6-4, 321, 5.25. 
Big powerful guy with terrific athleticism and foot speed to play in a zone. Has experience at guard, tackle and center.
Not enough time this year to know the players much beyond the 4th round. But we should focus on special teams players, high-upside WRs and maybe a kicker to compete with Joseph. 
Me Likee!!!

I think this is a good outcome. I don't think with this draft class you'd get a future 1 to move back into the 20's, but regardless you would still get ammo to grab the players you mocked. I am hot/cold on Elam but his upside is up there with the best corners in this class, the floor is just lower. I am a huge fan of Hall. Muma probably goes higher than the 3rd but he is a good player and would be an improvement at OLB in the base. 

A plan for the future idea: To make some of the idiot analysts better at putting out mock drafts, NFL Teams should be required to release their Top 10 rankings for every position once the draft is over. I would love to see how they rank guys

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
A plan for the future idea: To make some of the idiot analysts better at putting out mock drafts, NFL Teams should be required to release their Top 10 rankings for every position once the draft is over. I would love to see how they rank guys
No way!  Every team would get a complete read on every other organization's thought-process.  This is a Billion dollar competitive business and that would be trade secrets.  

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
No way!  Every team would get a complete read on every other organization's thought-process.  This is a Billion dollar competitive business and that would be trade secrets.  
I mean it's already out there. Guys draft based on their scheme, current personnel, and staff. The good ones could probably predict how some teams would rank players just by knowing their scheme and play calling.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I think this is a good outcome. I don't think with this draft class you'd get a future 1 to move back into the 20's, but regardless you would still get ammo to grab the players you mocked. I am hot/cold on Elam but his upside is up there with the best corners in this class, the floor is just lower. I am a huge fan of Hall. Muma probably goes higher than the 3rd but he is a good player and would be an improvement at OLB in the base. 
What I like about this is that it addresses all (or at least most of) the Vikings biggest questions. And that's always going to be about the QB first and foremost. 

1. Can Kirk Cousins become an elite QB in this offense? Who knows, but if he can't eliminate the questions surrounding him, this gives us plenty of ammo to get his replacement next year. 
2. And if he can, even better, you extend him again and have plenty of ammo to draft a top WR next year. 
3. In addition to all that, it adds 4 potential starters on defense. You get Peterson's replacement, Harry's replacement, competition for Watts, and very good depth behind Kendricks.

It's very possible that these particular players are gone by the time I have them mocked, but I think the trade works. Especially for a team like the Steelers (at 20) who have a good team, but need a QB. Same with the Chiefs who have the QB, but might see themselves as one Tyreek Hill replacement away from another Super Bowl.