Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damn elephants
No, not the weak-kneed GOP, but the elephants in the room that Ukraine and inflation seems to be keeping out of the news.  For some reason all the deaths and hospitalizations in the UK and Australia seem to not be getting the attention they did early on in the pandemic.

Wonder if it is because the facts don't line up with the narrative anymore?
Record breaking wave of Covid-19 across Australia sees deaths 1700% higher than the start of the Pandemic

Because I have nothing better to do with my time then type about Covid.

Lets use Australia as the example:
In 2020 they had one of the strictest lock downs you could have short of welding doors shut like they did in China.  This worked because they're an island country and could basically close everything down quite easily relative to the rest of the world who share land boarders.  They ran a couple deaths a day with the very low hundreds of new cases/day.  Due to the lack of large numbers its hard to do an accurate death/case but if 2.5 people died and 250 people caught covid that day you're running right at 1%.  That would be underselling what they actually had happen. 

Delta variant hit and their numbers climbed, but again they went after harsh lock downs.  ~15 deaths/day with 2100 cases/day .71% death rate

Omicron BA2 is currently in Australia yet they've chose to not lock down unlike before (and coincidentally BA2 is ticking up here as well).  Right now they're running ~55K cases a day with ~35ish deaths/day or a death rate of .006%
Viruses tend to mutate towards significantly more contagious and significantly less deadly.  Australia's data pretty much follows exactly what the world experienced and exactly what we're seeing in other countries right now.  Quoting +1700% death rate is so bullshit clickbait, because they basically had no deaths for awhile between Omicron and Omicron BA2...........just like the rest of the world.

Maybe its not getting reported on because there's nothing to report? 

Quote: @greediron said:
No, not the weak-kneed GOP, but the elephants in the room that Ukraine and inflation seems to be keeping out of the news.  For some reason all the deaths and hospitalizations in the UK and Australia seem to not be getting the attention they did early on in the pandemic.

Wonder if it is because the facts don't line up with the narrative anymore?
Record breaking wave of Covid-19 across Australia sees deaths 1700% higher than the start of the Pandemic

Now on Ukraine?  We watch the first 15 minutes of the Today show every morning while the kids are getting ready for school.  Short of Will Smith and strong weather, Ukraine has been the dominate news story since troops started accumulating on the Ukrainian boarder.  I'm not sure what more you'd like reported on?  You can find all kinds of Ukarine information online and on TV.

I'd say they also talk inflation 2-3 times/week during that first 15 minutes as well. 

?? The war in Ukraine and inflation have been 'kept out of the news'?? Not the news I'm watching....is it on your news, FoxNews or OAN? 

The Daily Expose? LMAO. You guys kill me. What a pile of f@#$ing garbage that site is.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-daily-expose/

Quote: @AGRforever said:
Because I have nothing better to do with my time then type about Covid.

Lets use Australia as the example:
In 2020 they had one of the strictest lock downs you could have short of welding doors shut like they did in China.  This worked because they're an island country and could basically close everything down quite easily relative to the rest of the world who share land boarders.  They ran a couple deaths a day with the very low hundreds of new cases/day.  Due to the lack of large numbers its hard to do an accurate death/case but if 2.5 people died and 250 people caught covid that day you're running right at 1%.  That would be underselling what they actually had happen. 

Delta variant hit and their numbers climbed, but again they went after harsh lock downs.  ~15 deaths/day with 2100 cases/day .71% death rate

Omicron BA2 is currently in Australia yet they've chose to not lock down unlike before (and coincidentally BA2 is ticking up here as well).  Right now they're running ~55K cases a day with ~35ish deaths/day or a death rate of .006%
Viruses tend to mutate towards significantly more contagious and significantly less deadly.  Australia's data pretty much follows exactly what the world experienced and exactly what we're seeing in other countries right now.  Quoting +1700% death rate is so bullshit clickbait, because they basically had no deaths for awhile between Omicron and Omicron BA2...........just like the rest of the world.

Maybe its not getting reported on because there's nothing to report? 
I found the report cited by Greediron to interesting because it shows the percentage of hospitalizations and deaths in Australia to be higher for vaccinated than unvaccinated.  This result is contrary to results reported by CDC where the unvaccinated have a higher rate of hospitalizations and deaths.  See: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104e2.htm

I've had three Pfizer vaccinations, debating whether I will have a fourth vaccination since I am a senior with heart issues.

Australia has a very high vaccination rate, ~80 with one or vaccinations.  The percentage of hospitalizations and deaths match the population distribution. ~80% vax and 80% of hospitalized patients + 80% of deaths are vaxed.  Under the conditions in Australia during that time period, vax does not appear to reduce hospitalizations or death.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
?? The war in Ukraine and inflation have been 'kept out of the news'?? Not the news I'm watching....is it on your news, FoxNews or OAN? 
Try reading it again.

I'll wait while you recover from tizzy.

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
Australia has a very high vaccination rate, ~80 with one or vaccinations.  The percentage of hospitalizations and deaths match the population distribution. ~80% vax and 80% of hospitalized patients + 80% of deaths are vaxed.  Under the conditions in Australia during that time period, vax does not appear to reduce hospitalizations or death.

Which would be a safe assumption and not terribly surprising considering the vaccine is based off the original Covid vs what BA2 is right now.  I am very PRO vaccine but don't see much of a point at getting a 4th shot. 

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
Yeah, all the mental gymnastics and theatrics don't remove the fact that the vax isn't preventing anything.  

And the UK is now stopping their reporting of covid hospitalizations because the numbers show the vax isn't working.  

Nothing shocking here, just wondering if everyone had grown tired of the koolaid?