Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 Draft
Just a reminder that if someone has an unconventional take that runs counter to draft "groupthink" it doesn't mean they're wrong.

2012 is a good example of just how bad the NFL is at drafting. Every one of these players is around 32 years old, so all should still be playing...I think there's about 7 or 8 players here who were not complete busts. Don't think there's been a worse top 7 in history. The heart of this draft is picks 8-12. 

So many things to take from this draft. He would convert to LB, but Mark Barron was drafted as a safety...22 picks ahead of 6X pro bowler Harrison Smith. Picks 1, 2 and 22 (Luck, RGIII and Weeden) are no longer playing, while picks 75, 88 and 102 (Wilson, Foles and Cousins) are still playing and have 13 pro bowls between them...and together could probably buy a small European country. 

[Image: c4zq3s89pdu4.jpeg]

lol, Brandon Weeden.

Wow.  Matt Kalil.   All the talent in the world with ZERO love for the game.  

Maybe the Vikes will get lucky in 2022 like the Eagles did in 2012?

Best intentions in plan go down the toilet right? Didnt the Vikings draft Ponder the year before and then the franchise LT in 12 to protect his asz?

Whiffed on both. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Maybe the Vikes will get lucky in 2022 like the Eagles did in 2012?

Best intentions in plan go down the toilet right? Didnt the Vikings draft Ponder the year before and then the franchise LT in 12 to protect his asz?

Whiffed on both. 
And Chris Cook the year before. Those were three straight bad drafts, at least in the 1st round. Somewhat redeemed by Harry in '12, Rudy in '11 and Griffen in '10

That 2012 draft was an absolute dumpster fire overall

I think most would be surprised to see the success rate of 1st rounders over the years.  The draft is not an easy thing, it is not just evaluating talent, but how that talent will carry over at an NFL level. In addition there are the mental intangibles and character traits that are hard to measure and may be masked by crafty agents.  I thought Speilman was one of the best at drafting and I am expecting a significant decline this year in our draft.  

For 2012 I think Luck lived up to the hype and would be one of the best in the league today if it were not for injuries. 8-12 were definitely great picks.  I remember the Seahawks getting crucified for taking Bruce Irvin at 15 and other than Smith he turned out to be the best of the rest of the 1st rounders. 

Quote: @"JR44" said:
I think most would be surprised to see the success rate of 1st rounders over the years.  The draft is not an easy thing, it is not just evaluating talent, but how that talent will carry over at an NFL level. In addition there are the mental intangibles and character traits that are hard to measure and may be masked by crafty agents.  I thought Speilman was one of the best at drafting and I am expecting a significant decline this year in our draft.  

For 2012 I think Luck lived up to the hype and would be one of the best in the league today if it were not for injuries. 8-12 were definitely great picks.  I remember the Seahawks getting crucified for taking Bruce Irvin at 15 and other than Smith he turned out to be the best of the rest of the 1st rounders. 
The hard part would be to determine the identifier in which you are using to measure success. What constitutes as a successful first round pick? Whether they were ever All-Pro? The Pro Bowl voting has changed so much that I dont care about guys being "Pro Bowlers" anymore. 

It'd be nice to have another individual grading site that was comparable to PFF since they have different tiers. X number of 1st round draft picks have generated a "Starter Level" grade for longer than 5 years. That's what I would prefer but it doesn't exist unless you solely use PFF

Russel Wilson in the 3rd would have been nice. I was wondering if they would do that as they drafted Ponder the year before but had nothing in the bullpen and had no idea if Ponder would pan out.

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
@"JR44" said:

The hard part would be to determine the identifier in which you are using to measure success. What constitutes as a successful first round pick? Whether they were ever All-Pro? The Pro Bowl voting has changed so much that I dont care about guys being "Pro Bowlers" anymore. 

It'd be nice to have another individual grading site that was comparable to PFF since they have different tiers. X number of 1st round draft picks have generated a "Starter Level" grade for longer than 5 years. That's what I would prefer but it doesn't exist unless you solely use PFF
Your lips to God's ears. I think eventually PFF will have a draft component that will grade drafts based on cumulative PFF grades. It's a long time coming. Hopefully they'll tighten up their grading system.

DVOA, starts, stats, Pro Bowls, All Pros...all imperfect, but they're the only benchmarks we have.