Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings cap space
Don't know how accurate this is...Spotrac says 11M and OTC says 10. Either way, considering the draft will only take about 4 or 5M, there should be some money left to add another free agent or two...if'n they want to. 

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/15...64066?s=20&t=XzRwmD3tlN6tw816pyzhQg

I think I'd like to see them roll the dice on Will Fuller. We pretty much have zero WR depth and bringing in another speed guy to stretch the field would be an asset to the new offense. Still only 27 and could be had on a cheap deal. 

A few things. 

- With Pat Pete & Jesse Davis filed they'll be down to $11.9M in available cap space. 
- We are still awaiting they deals on Hairston and Tye Smith. The former likely will take about $150K off that total. Tye Smith likely won't move the number. 

Once you institute in-season 53-man roster moves and a full practice squad they only have $6.7M in cap space. 

Then if you sign your rookie draft class you're looking at a remaining total of $3.2M. Which you would think they'll want $3-5M for in-season moves, IR, etc. 

Point is, if they want to sign more FAs they don't need to make any corresponding moves now. But they're at the point of needing to restructure another contract prior to the season since the cap is all about being under at a point in time. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
I think I'd like to see them roll the dice on Will Fuller. We pretty much have zero WR depth and bringing in another speed guy to stretch the field would be an asset to the new offense. Still only 27 and could be had on a cheap deal. 
Thought about that too. Plenty of speed to clear the zones on go routes. But maybe with an offseason following whatever the hell KJO did, ISM can have a similar 2nd season. Or Dan Chisena....definitely a long shot, but his 40 time was the same as Will Fuller's: 4.32. 

It's an interesting thought on Will Fuller V but... no. Guy is beyond glass. Porcelain. Fine China. Etc. The Fins paid him I think $10M last year to play about 30 snaps. I guess at the vet minimum he'd be worth a shot but I think the Vikings bringing in zero WR FAs means they're targeting the draft for the position. Which I do think that's a preferred option.

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
It's an interesting thought on Will Fuller V but... no. Guy is beyond glass. Porcelain. Fine China. Etc. The Fins paid him I think $10M last year to play about 30 snaps. I guess at the vet minimum he'd be worth a shot but I think the Vikings bringing in zero WR FAs means they're targeting the draft for the position. Which I do think that's a preferred option.
This. I think the Vikings will consider the right WR in round 1, actually. Seems kind of crazy but there was an interesting slip in Kwesi's owners meeting press conference. 

Something along the lines of "you can see what a premium teams place on the QB position, now you see teams are catching up and realizing WRs too". Hmmm. There is a point to be made there analytics wide. The cost benefit at WR is definitely increasing and we've seen before that good WRs can compliment bad/average QB play.

Vikings aren't desperate for WR help by any means but Thielen is in the last 2-3 years of his career, you need to pay JJ, and if you added either a larger body (London) or a burner (Olave) you would cause a lot of problems for opposing defenses. You also know KOC is going to be more willing to let Kirk dish the ball around. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
This. I think the Vikings will consider the right WR in round 1, actually. Seems kind of crazy but there was an interesting slip in Kwesi's owners meeting press conference. 

Something along the lines of "you can see what a premium teams place on the QB position, now you see teams are catching up and realizing WRs too". Hmmm. There is a point to be made there analytics wide. The cost benefit at WR is definitely increasing and we've seen before that good WRs can compliment bad/average QB play.

Vikings aren't desperate for WR help by any means but Thielen is in the last 2-3 years of his career, you need to pay JJ, and if you added either a larger body (London) or a burner (Olave) you would cause a lot of problems for opposing defenses. You also know KOC is going to be more willing to let Kirk dish the ball around. 
I could see it. I wouldn't break my Curtis Mathes. But you know what position we might not be thinking about? 5-tech. Right now it looks like Tomlinson-Phillips-Watts. Watts has shown out in rotational play but can he be a full time starter? I tend to think so, but I don't know what the team thinks.

3-4 teams around the league typically have a really good nose and two really good edges, but the 5Ts and the ILBs are often afterthoughts.  Which brings us to the Rams. They have Aaron Donald, a born 3T, and the best player in the NFL, playing 5T.  There's a pretty good 3T in the draft named Devonte Wyatt we might want to consider in a trade down. 

Quote: If t@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"pattersaur" said:

I could see it. I wouldn't break my Curtis Mathes. But you know what position we might not be thinking about? 5-tech. Right now it looks like Tomlinson-Phillips-Watts. Watts has shown out in rotational play but can he be a full time starter? I tend to think so, but I don't know what the team thinks.

3-4 teams around the league typically have a really good nose and two really good edges, but the 5Ts and the ILBs are often afterthoughts.  Which brings us to the Rams. They have Aaron Donald, a born 3T, and the best player in the NFL, playing 5T.  There's a pretty good 3T in the draft named Devonte Wyatt we might want to consider in a trade down. 
If the 2 CBs, the S, and G. Wilson (and maybe London) are all gone before 12 I think the Vikings will be scrambling to trade down. The question will be does a first time GM have the relationships to get a fair deal, and what players will be sitting there that other teams might realistically want to trade up for. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"pattersaur" said:

If we are considering BPA at 12, what about Jameson Williams?  Coming off the knee injury, wouldn't need to be rushed to get into the offense but once incorporated and back to full speed creates a vertical range that could really open up the offense.  

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"pattersaur" said:

I've personally considered Wyatt, mainly because I like the player. I'm not sold on the fit for him at 5T. But I wouldn't have considered Donald a 5T either, so you have a good argument. Both are "undersized" for the position, but man is he good on film. Fortunately in the nickel you would be able to slide him into a more natural 3T role and let him go to work. I guess maybe you've talked me back into considering him a viable option.