Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After seeing the $ top WR's are getting...
I'm not seeing this team being able to pay KC and give JJ the big $ at contract time.

It's crazy what we've just seen happen in GB and K.City. Brady was able to have a great stable of WR's because of his cap hit vs his top peers 

I suspect the Vikings are prioritizing the QB backfill for KC much more than we think. Whether that happens this year or next I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

I think the plan is for the Vikings to draft their next QB in 2023, Kirk's last season under contract, giving the rookie a year on the bench and the Vikings $36M in cap savings. 

The most likely obstacle to this is Cousins playing well enough to extend him again (I'd say a deep playoff run). At which point, the Vikings give JJ what's he's worth, but craft the contract with minimal cap hits early (like Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill), extending the window a little more. 

THIS ^^^

It will certainly come with casualties or risk,  but I think they will be able to get it done.  I dont AT or Harry playing after 23,  and it's hard to say who else we would lose between now and then that are pretty big contracts.  Of course we will have others to add by then,  but IMO they don't plan Kirk as their guy past 23 and know his contract would likely result in losing to many other younger players.  We will see though,  a deep run, or belly flop this year could really have a huge impact on how next years offseason plays out.

Not sure of the contract specifics but Dalvin Cook could be another one of those guys that will be a casualty.