Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So...Stingley
Here's an article talking about the possibility of Stingley for the Vikings at 12. Curious what others thought about this pick. Sounds like Sauce will likely be gone. McDuffie is a safe pick whom I really like. But after watching all of them, there isn't a corner who moves like Stingley. The injuries are a concern, but IMHO, his instincts and athleticism are next level--looks more like a top 3-5 pick to me than a guy who might be available at 12. 

https://vikingsterritory.com/2022/genera...t-defender

If healthy, I think he's 1B corner in this draft (Sauce 1A). Would be happy with him

If Stingley is there and Sauce is gone, assuming he checks out physically, I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on Stingley.

Stingley has the makings of a shutdown corner. Draft him and start him. 

Quote: @dadevike said:
If Stingley is there and Sauce is gone, assuming he checks out physically, I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on Stingley.

Absolutely agree. McDuffie concerns me a bit in that he's 5'10" with shorter arms. It seems like his upside ceiling is Desmond Trufant, who was another Washington product. I think at #12 there will be better players on the board. It's why I say if Sauce and Stingley are gone, I'm totally good going in a different direction whether that's Jordan Davis or one of the WR's. Despite the amount of really good edge players I think we've addressed that with Hunter, Smith, and the young prospects we have behind them already on the roster. There's some depth at corner so that position could be addressed in the second and third rounds. 

Honestly, I'm hoping we fill CB via free agency. P2 @ $5-6 million plus incentives and a probably modest contract for Sullivan. Then go into the draft looking solely at BPA.

My question is, take his freshman year away, is this guy even worth talking about? Lisfranc injury has kept him from doing anything postseason. That's a bit concerning. What exactly has he done the last two years?

Nothing. 

On the plus side, if you get the player from freshman year, you get a generational guy at #12.

You're a first time GM, do you swing for the fences? If Hunter is ok, if Zardarius is ok, and you add 2019 Stingley, you're looking at a top 10 D on paper. 

Choose between:

A) Davis and a 2nd round CB
B) Stingley and a 2nd DL

I'm taking A all day regardless of Stingley's health.  It's shutting down the run, forcing the pass, and getting after the quarterback that's the key to the game.

Davis playing LDE/NT (rotating) could be a monster, having Smith and Hunter behind him is down right scary.  You will get more out of that 2nd round CB with that added presence and pressure versus Stingley with Armon Watts at LDE (no disrespect to Armon, he's good player).  

The Bengals had a good enough defense to make and almost win the Super Bowl with their set of CBs.  It's about pressure and run stuffing.  

Go get the best DL at 12, draft CB in the 2nd and/or 3rd

Read multiple draft projection and each one said Stingley comes with risks. 10 games last two seasons. Looked better in 2020 then 2021. Boom or Bust. 

Quote: @Skodin said:
Choose between:

A) Davis and a 2nd round CB
B) Stingley and a 2nd DL

I'm taking A all day regardless of Stingley's health.  It's shutting down the run, forcing the pass, and getting after the quarterback that's the key to the game.

Davis playing LDE/NT (rotating) could be a monster, having Smith and Hunter behind him is down right scary.  You will get more out of that 2nd round CB with that added presence and pressure versus Stingley with Armon Watts at LDE (no disrespect to Armon, he's good player).  

The Bengals had a good enough defense to make and almost win the Super Bowl with their set of CBs.  It's about pressure and run stuffing.  

Go get the best DL at 12, draft CB in the 2nd and/or 3rd
I'm likely a broken record when it comes to trading back, but if your top corners and Jordan Davis are gone by 12, trade back and pick up a day 2 pick this year. Then go best defensive player available with your first round pick, probably do it again with your second rounder and if you pick up another second with the trade back then go WR/OL.

Yeah, as long as he's healthy I'm taking Stingley all day every day.