Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Let's kill the clock moving already...
I hate losing an hours sleep - for 34 weeks. 

Ridiculous

The first true proponent of Daylight Saving Time was an Englishman named William Willet. A London builder, he conceived the idea while riding his horse early one morning in 1907. He noticed that the shutters of houses were tightly closed even though the Sun had risen. In “The Waste of Daylight,” the manifesto of his personal light-saving campaign, Willet wrote, “Everyone appreciates the long, light evenings. Everyone laments their shrinkage as the days grow shorter; and nearly everyone has given utterance to a regret that the nearly clear, bright light of an early morning during Spring and Summer months is so seldom seen or used… . That so many as 210 hours of daylight are, to all intents and purposes, wasted every year is a defect in our civilization. Let England recognise and remedy it.”
Willet spent a small fortune lobbying businessmen, members of Parliament, and the U.S. Congress to put clocks ahead 20 minutes on each of the four Sundays in April, and reverse the process on consecutive Sundays in September. But his proposal was met mostly with ridicule. One community opposed it on moral grounds, calling the practice the sin of “lying” about true time.
World War I Led to Adoption of DSTAttitudes changed after World War I broke out. The government and citizenry recognized the need to conserve coal used for heating homes. The Germans were the first to officially adopt the light-extending system in 1915, as a fuel-saving measure during World War I. This led to the introduction in 1916 of British Summer Time: From May 21 to October 1, clocks in Britain were put an hour ahead.
The United States followed in 1918, when Congress passed the Standard Time Act, which established the time zones. However, this was amidst great public opposition. A U.S. government Congressional Committee was formed to investigate the benefits of Daylight Saving Time. Many Americans viewed the practice as an absurd attempt to make late sleepers get up early. Others thought that it was unnatural to follow “clock time” instead of “Sun time.” A columnist in the Saturday Evening Post offered this alternative: “Why not ‘save summer’ by having June begin at the end of February?"
The matter took on new meaning in April 1917, when President Woodrow Wilson declared war. Suddenly, energy conservation was of paramount importance, and several efforts were launched to enlist public support for changing the clocks. A group called the National Daylight Saving Convention distributed postcards showing Uncle Sam holding a garden hoe and rifle, turning back the hands of a huge pocket watch. Voters were asked to sign and mail to their congressman postcards that declared, “If I have more daylight, I can work longer for my country. We need every hour of light.” Manhattan’s borough president testified to Congress that the extra hour of light would be a boon to home gardening, and therefore increase the Allies’ food supply. Posters chided, “Uncle Sam, your enemies have been up and are at work in the extra hour of daylight—when will YOU wake up?”
With public opinion in its favor, Congress officially declared that all clocks would be moved ahead one hour at 2:00 A.M. on March 31, 1918. (Canada adopted a similar policy later the same year.) Americans were encouraged to turn off their lights and go to bed earlier than they normally did—at around 8:00 P.M.
https://www.almanac.com/content/when-day...aving-time

I'll take it being light out at 7:30 pm EST every time. 

Then again, I used to get up st 4:15am to train.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

Ridiculous
Just curious, how do you lose and hour of sleep?  People just go to bed an hour earlier and wake an hour earlier...

Quote: @rf54 said:
@purplefaithful said:

Ridiculous
Just curious, how do you lose and hour of sleep?  People just go to bed an hour earlier and wake an hour later...
I try....Always takes me days to adjust. 

You could always relocate to Arizona…  :p 

Quote: @Kentis said:
You could always relocate to Arizona…  :p 
Just talking to my SIL who winters in Phx!

She was happy not to be messing around with time changes today. She'll have a decent enough one when she gets back to CST in April. 

time zones make sense,  daylight savings doesnt.  set the time zones so that they are an average of the sunrise and sunset ( solar noon)  and be done with it,  its stupid to make normal time or daylight savings the norm.  give me a solid average and let move on.

hear hear!!!

i think the best approach would be in the fall to only roll back 1/2 hour and then leave it at that.  I dont want to see 9 am sunrises in december,  and I dont want to see 8:20 sunsets in mid june,  but I think it would be much better to split the difference and have 8:30 sunrise / 8:50 sunsets as our yearly extremes