Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kwesi Like A Fox?
Looking at the QB class, Kwesi has gone on record (trying to find it) that everyone thought the 2017 class was also viewed as poorly as this one. To be honest, I never gave Mahomes a second thought, but Watson was a 1st round lock. I don't see anyone close to these two guys. 

Pickett is still my favorite in the class, but I view him as a Day 2 guy in terms of value, not where he'll go overall. Willis is raw as sushi, but the skills are undeniable. 

Does Kwesi gamble on a QB this soon into his tenure? If either of these guy were in the 2023 class, they wouldn't crack the top 5. Maybe not top 7.

Follow me for more reading too much into someone's comments.

I remain in the pass on QB this year camp but if the stars aligned and I would take a flyer on Ridder but no way I take a QB at 12.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
Looking at the QB class, Kwesi has gone on record (trying to find it) that everyone thought the 2017 class was also viewed as poorly as this one. To be honest, I never gave Mahomes a second thought, but Watson was a 1st round lock. I don't see anyone close to these two guys. 

Pickett is still my favorite in the class, but I view him as a Day 2 guy in terms of value, not where he'll go overall. Willis is raw as sushi, but the skills are undeniable. 

Does Kwesi gamble on a QB this soon into his tenure? If either of these guy were in the 2023 class, they wouldn't crack the top 5. Maybe not top 7.

I think you need to look at things rationally. If you intend to draft a QB in either 2022 or 2023 who says you're going to be in-range next off-season. The Vikings aren't tearing down the roster to the studs which leaves their floor outside of the top 5, at a minimum. More likely than not you're still in that 8-12 range. Trading up is an option but if other teams view Bryce Young and/or Stroud a generational prospects, you won't be able to move up for them. Its similar to last year where the Jaguars/Jets weren't moving out of the 1/2 spots for practically any price. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

I think you need to look at things rationally. If you intend to draft a QB in either 2022 or 2023 who says you're going to be in-range next off-season. The Vikings aren't tearing down the roster to the studs which leaves their floor outside of the top 5, at a minimum. More likely than not you're still in that 8-12 range. Trading up is an option but if other teams view Bryce Young and/or Stroud a generational prospects, you won't be able to move up for them. Its similar to last year where the Jaguars/Jets weren't moving out of the 1/2 spots for practically any price. 

I completely agree with you, which is why trading Cousins makes the most sense and is in our best interest right now. You sink or swim with Mond for a year, which at the very least we'd know what we have with him, and if he sinks then we are likely drafting very early and in position to land one of those elite QB prospects you mentioned. 

Keeping Cousins and letting him play out his one year deal if he chooses not to sign our extension screws us in a lot of ways. One of those being we win enough games (again) to put us out of reach on an elite QB prospect in 2023. That's absolutely worst case scenario 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

I completely agree with you, which is why trading Cousins makes the most sense and is in our best interest right now. You sink or swim with Mond for a year, which at the very least we'd know what we have with him, and if he sinks then we are likely drafting very early and in position to land one of those elite QB prospects you mentioned. 

Keeping Cousins and letting him play out his one year deal if he chooses not to sign our extension screws us in a lot of ways. One of those being we win enough games (again) to put us out of reach on an elite QB prospect in 2023. That's absolutely worst case scenario 
I also have my doubts that our defense gels very quickly and makes a lot of mistakes early in the season,  so even with Cousins in a system that should benefit his style(maybe)  i still think the D is going to be a weakness that gets exploited until they get the right pieces in place.  If Kirk isn't in it for the team and the long haul, then what's the point,   I just dont see the upside of giving him 1 more year.

[Image: sb38m7bsbwd1.gif] 

“It’s a puzzle” but we got this, said Kwesi…!  Wink 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

I also have my doubts that our defense gels very quickly and makes a lot of mistakes early in the season,  so even with Cousins in a system that should benefit his style(maybe)  i still think the D is going to be a weakness that gets exploited until they get the right pieces in place.  If Kirk isn't in it for the team and the long haul, then what's the point,   I just dont see the upside of giving him 1 more year.

Completely agree. We need a lot on defense and even more so with this scheme change and trying to fit the right personnel into those positions. Changes on both sides of the ball and a new coaching staff. Even if we keep Cousins our ceiling is probably realistically only 8 or 9 wins this season and we probably don't make the playoffs, so what's the point in keeping him? All it does is;

- Ties up our cap on an extension and hinders our ability to retain free agents and upgrade the roster

- Allows us to win enough games to keep us out of the top ten in 2023 where we might have a realistic shot at a blue chip QB prospect 

- We invested a high draft pick on Mond and have no idea what we have in him. Was he just terrible or did Zimmer hold on to a grudge against Spielman and refuse to play him?

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

Completely agree. We need a lot on defense and even more so with this scheme change and trying to fit the right personnel into those positions. Changes on both sides of the ball and a new coaching staff. Even if we keep Cousins our ceiling is probably realistically only 8 or 9 wins this season and we probably don't make the playoffs, so what's the point in keeping him? All it does is;

- Ties up our cap on an extension and hinders our ability to retain free agents and upgrade the roster

- Allows us to win enough games to keep us out of the top ten in 2023 where we might have a realistic shot at a blue chip QB prospect 

- We invested a high draft pick on Mond and have no idea what we have in him. Was he just terrible or did Zimmer hold on to a grudge against Spielman and refuse to play him?
The points you’re all bringing up is why it’s darkly funny that half this board is convinced we’re 1-2 recovered fumbles away from a Super Bowl. It was the same story last year and the year before that. After 2017 season and sorta even after 2018 season I thought the Vikings had a team that could win it all. Unfortunately that’s been a while ago now. I’m glad the Vikings have overhauled the FO and coaching staff. Now do the roster. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

The points you’re all bringing up is why it’s darkly funny that half this board is convinced we’re 1-2 recovered fumbles away from a Super Bowl. It was the same story last year and the year before that. After 2017 season and sorta even after 2018 season I thought the Vikings had a team that could win it all. Unfortunately that’s been a while ago now. I’m glad the Vikings have overhauled the FO and coaching staff. Now do the roster. 
No one has said anything remotely close to this, let alone half the board. That's complete bull shit.