Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No worries....

They got some nice offensive playmakers for sure....I personally think they got enough @ QB. 

Its everything else I got questions about lol!! 

Man, its been a long, long time since there has been this much change with the team. 

Excited or Wary? Depends on the day of week for me. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
They got some nice offensive playmakers for sure....I personally think they got enough @ QB. 

Its everything else I got questions about lol!! 

Man, its been a long, long time since there has been this much change with the team. 

Excited or Wary? Depends on the day of week for me. 

That's where I'm at. I keep going back to us losing a handful of games on the last play of the game and if we win those games we are likely a 12 win team, in the playoffs, and none of this even happens. Instead we are changing everything about the organization from top to bottom. I like our play makers on offense and hoping Irv Smith finally stays healthy and gives us a different element on offense. I'm not happy moving to this 3-4 defense or have much confidence in the Donnatell/Pettine combo. Our special teams have not been good since Priefer left.

I'm just glad to hear we are gonna win one in my lifetime.  B)

I'm not too concerned about 3/4 base D...They'll probably be in 4/2/5 formations a ton of the time.

There is so many hybrid DE/LB or LB/S out there now too.

I look at that as needed evolution in a league that has tilted so much to offense. 

I'm getting my tablespoon of sugar ready; for the draft and for the probability of lots of new DB's. 

I think the last person to guarantee a Super Bowl victory was Sir Francis on SNL.  

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I'm not too concerned about 3/4 base D...They'll probably be in 4/2/5 formations a ton of the time.

I look at that as needed evolution in a league that has tilted so much to offense. 

I'm getting my tablespoon of sugar ready; for the draft and for the probability of lots of new DB's. 

Even at that, do you trust Donnatell and Pettine to implement this scheme change and personnel overhaul on defense? I don't..

I don’t worry about the offense. As far as I’m concerned a good coach can get to the Super Bowl with that group. It’s the defense that is the monstrous question mark.

With that said, our defense was miserable last year. To the point I don’t think it’s going to matter much going to a new scheme. They’ll probably still be better. Play calling especially killed us last year. If we can get some improvement f there as well, it will make a difference. 
There’s a silver lining is this particular draft class. It’s deepest positions are CB and edge rushers. Many of those edge rushers could be a great fit in a 3-4. We already have some potentially good fits for the line. Free agency will also offer some LB potential. It would be nice to get some experienced help starting out.

Personally, with the right moves made, I think this team can compete next year already. As long as they can take care of the cap issues and get the personnel in. It’s all durable if they play their cards right.

As bad as our defense was--and, yes, it was very very bad--we lost six games by three points or less. If even half those games go the other way, this was an 11-6 team.

Now, what happens if you change the head coach, the person I personally think was mostly responsible for those losses? Now what happens if you change the HC and the defensive scheme? Now what happens if you change the HC, the defensive scheme and add Hunter? What happens if you change the HC, the defensive scheme, add Hunter and a starting caliber CB? 

Sure, you can play "what ifs" until you're blue in the face. But if you want to know why the Wilfs, the GM and the HC all believe this is not a team that needs rebuilt, that probably has a lot to do with it. 

And as I've been saying for 20 years, in today's NFL, every team is a key player or injury, a ref call and a bouncing ball away from a completely different result. And it's not like actual results counter that argument: The Bengals went from a 4-win team to the Super Bowl. Year before, the Super Bowl champion was 7-9 the year before. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:

Even at that, do you trust Donnatell and Pettine to implement this scheme change and personnel overhaul on defense? I don't..
Not really...

But until they give me reason not to? I will enjoy this small window of hope, blue sky, sunshine, unicorns and cotton candy.