Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings defense can be elite with lighter burden
Vikings defense can be elite with lighter burdenThe Vikings defense, featuring five Pro Bowl picks, is eager to reclaim its elite status after faltering under heavy pressure as last season wore on. 

http://www.startribune.com/defense-story/442809493/

The best way for the defense to ascend this year is for the offense to control the ball and put the defense in more favorable situations. They leaned way too hard on the defense last year and I hope that the reshuffled OL plus Cook and Murray can lead to longer sustained drives, more points, and better starting field position for the defense. If the D is on the field less, then there are fewer chances for opposing teams to wear down the D.

Quote: @Tyr said:
The best way for the defense to ascend this year is for the offense to control the ball and put the defense in more favorable situations. They leaned way too hard on the defense last year and I hope that the reshuffled OL plus Cook and Murray can lead to longer sustained drives, more points, and better starting field position for the defense. If the D is on the field less, then there are fewer chances for opposing teams to wear down the D.
Last year it was the defense that put offense in bad positions on many  occasions.  They would start slow and give up early points and would often give up large chunks of yardage forcing the offense to work a long field and to play from behind.  Imo the D was very much part of the problem after that stellar start,  but I don't buy that they were gassed.

Lots of lenses to last years D story.

Yah Jimmy, I do recall some times where the D just got out of the gate poorly and last years squad wasn't built to come from behind (ever, at all).

I do think they got physically and mentally gassed as the year progressed. Teddy going down like he did had to weigh on the whole team for at least the first 1/4 of the season. 

I also cant shake the belief that to some extent Zimmer lost that locker room. Did he get back whatever may have been lost? Dont know, we'll see.