Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading tea leaves
Here is my list of reckless speculation and thoughts:
  1. I hope they bring in David Culley as an offensive advisor.  Not that KOC needs it but I would like to see someone on the staff who has HC experience; Culley has been involved in developing some really good QBs and Culley got screwed by the Texans.  He did a good job with Mills last year.  Just a random thought thrown out there.
  2. I think the Vikes are trading Cousins.  If you toggle between Harbaugh and KOC, one thing is clear Harbaugh was the win now candidate and KOC is the build now candidate.  KOC will have a learning curve.  Also, KOC coached Cousins yet the Redskins didn't retain Cousins (that was Cousins' worst year as I recall).  I am guessing KOC is ready to move on from Cousins.
  3. Other veterans who may be gone: CJ Ham (do the Rams even have a fullback?); Pierce; Smith; Kendricks (BTW, weirdly, Eric is not listed on the roster anymore (https://www.vikings.com/team/players-roster/).  I could see them trading those players because they do not fit into the new window.
  4. JJ should be really happy.
  5. I can see the Vikes drafting a QB but I also can see the Vikings signing Bridgewater as a bridge QB.  You might as well play to the fan base in yr 1 of the re-build.
  6. I don't see them trading Thielen because of the fan base.  I also see them restructuring D. Hunter unless they are blown away with a trade offer.
  7. Side benefit to hiring KOC -- he is so young that he won't be hiring his sons (if he has any) for years to come.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
Here is my list of reckless speculation and thoughts:
  1. I hope they bring in David Culley as an offensive advisor.  Not that KOC needs it but I would like to see someone on the staff who has HC experience; Culley has been involved in developing some really good QBs and Culley got screwed by the Texans.  He did a good job with Mills last year.  Just a random thought thrown out there.
  2. I think the Vikes are trading Cousins.  If you toggle between Harbaugh and KOC, one thing is clear Harbaugh was the win now candidate and KOC is the build now candidate.  KOC will have a learning curve.  Also, KOC coached Cousins yet the Redskins didn't retain Cousins (that was Cousins' worst year as I recall).  I am guessing KOC is ready to move on from Cousins.
  3. Other veterans who may be gone: CJ Ham (do the Rams even have a fullback?); Pierce; Smith; Kendricks (BTW, weirdly, Eric is not listed on the roster anymore (https://www.vikings.com/team/players-roster/).  I could see them trading those players because they do not fit into the new window.
  4. JJ should be really happy.
  5. I can see the Vikes drafting a QB but I also can see the Vikings signing Bridgewater as a bridge QB.  You might as well play to the fan base in yr 1 of the re-build.
  6. I don't see them trading Thielen because of the fan base.  I also see them restructuring D. Hunter unless they are blown away with a trade offer.
  7. Side benefit to hiring KOC -- he is so young that he won't be hiring his sons (if he has any) for years to come.
KOC is an offensive coach which should benefit the team. I just hope he doesn't call the plays. This team needs a head coach.

I feel this roster is going to look very different this upcoming season and I am ok with that. The offense is going to be interesting to watch and I am super curious about the defense.

Kendricks is on the reserve/COVID list in the link you provided.

Per Mike G on NFL Network, GM and HC candidates were told by the interview committee that they believe in Kirk Cousins.

So, I would anticipate a build around Cousins.

On the flip side, from less credible sources, that O'Connell was part of the reason the Commodes gave up on Cousins AND nixed a Cousins for Goff trade.

More than a grain of salt here.

I fully expect Tall McVay to do the play calling, but will also work with the D. Zim's silo approach won't be replicated.

Ill throw out Troy Walters as a possible coaching hire. Probably a couple guys off the Rams and Bengals staffs.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
Per Mike G on NFL Network, GM and HC candidates were told by the interview committee that they believe in Kirk Cousins.
Not to be a contrarian, but if I planned on trading Cousins, I would certainly leak what Mike G reported on the league owned station.  Last thing I want is for people to think I am desperate to dump Cousins.  Just sayin'. The Vikings have been pretty good about managing leaks throughout this process -- actually been pretty impressive.

I don’t see them trading Eric Kendricks. Besides being one of the most steady presences and tackling machine of the defense, he’s also a huge part of the social justice committee and, according to one of the many things I’ve read over the past couple days, was a player that Mark Wilf sat down with about what the team wiuld like to see in a new HC. I don’t see them parting with him.

Wade Phillips son Wes Phillips is currently the TE Coach for the #Rams under new #Vikings HC Kevin O’Connell.

Could O’Connell bring over Wes and recruit Wade to run his Defense?

Would provide O’Connell w/someone he could lean on, who has previous HC experience + v good DC.

Is nepotism something we want to encourage?

Wade Phillips
@sonofbum
· 45m
Vikings NFL. Offense-12th. Defense-30th

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
Wade Phillips
@sonofbum
· 45m
Vikings NFL. Offense-12th. Defense-30th
Interesting, why would Wade tweet this?  Is he going to be our DC?  Is he lobbying to be our DC?